Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:27 PM   #3976
CharlesLawrence
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniPunk View Post
Found this on ESPN's Recruiting Nations Tweets posted by Brad Winton @ JucoRecruiting:

Chad Frazier (6-4/2013/Gulf Coast St.) has offers from Gonzaga, Illinois, South Carolina, Alabama, Rhode Island, Texas A&M.

Sounds like a JUCO guard. Anyone have any info?
Looks like he is off the market..

Oklahoma State gets commitment from JuCo guard Chad Frazier

The Oklahoman is reporting that the 6-4 Frazier will come in as a member of the 2013 recruiting class out of Gulf Coast (Fla.) State College and will have two years of eligibility remaining.....“I called Coach Ford today, around about 12, told him I wanted to commit,” Frazier confirmed in a phone interview with The Oklahoman. “Oklahoma State’s where I want to be.”

But then he was arrested the very next day...

...A basketball recruit was arrested Saturday for minor in possession of alcohol and lying to police.

Pullman police arrested Chad E. Frazier, 20, around midnight at 880 NE B Street and NE California Street. A Daily Evergreen reporter on the scene witnessed the arrest.....

After that.. I don't find much
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:30 PM   #3977
ILHoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityHoops34 View Post
he is much more complete than colbert. everyone on this board quit on him way too early, he will be a stud. worst part is it will be in the big 10 against us. Michigan state will be is his likely landing spot
He always reminded me of Augustine. Thought he was a pretty good player. I've never seen Colbert play, so I can't compare the two. Are you basing this on AAU play because Colbert hasn't played this season at all?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:34 PM   #3978
ILHoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinifn79 View Post
I agree with this also. With the running style Colbert will fit alot better. I am also sure Colbert will fill out his frame alittle better and be a tough guard in the B1G cause of how athletic he is
Schilling is a good athlete and runs the floor well. I'm not sure why he wouldn't have fit Groce's system.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:56 PM   #3979
Karl Welzein
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILHoff View Post
Schilling is a good athlete and runs the floor well. I'm not sure why he wouldn't have fit Groce's system.
I don't know much at all about Schilling, but has there been any question about his work ethic, motor, passion - etc? I wonder if Groce is looking to get away from players who look the part like Henry and Langford and don't really have much in the way of basketball skills or drive to improve.

Illinois needs guys who can step in and help next year and it doesnt sound like Schilling is ready for that. At least he wasn't when we had open scholarships to guve.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:58 PM   #3980
BlindLoyalty
Quote:
Originally Posted by illbasketfan View Post
Can someone find any info on Tommy Hamilton jr. from IMG. maybe stats, pics or video. Don't rule this kid out I know he had a visit last week at Depaul but ILL is in the need for a post guy!!!
I don't think Tommy Hamilton is doing much. His team is 2-16. In IMG's last game, 7th grader EJ Montgomery dropped 10pts, 8rebs, 5 blocks & 3 steals against Tommy & IMG.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:11 PM   #3981
IlliniEX2011
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLoyalty View Post
I don't think Tommy Hamilton is doing much. His team is 2-16. In IMG's last game, 7th grader EJ Montgomery dropped 10pts, 8rebs, 5 blocks & 3 steals against Tommy & IMG.
Anybody got any info on 7th grader EJ Montgomery??? Holy sweet jesus that's heck of a stat line for anyone let alone a 7th grader
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:13 PM   #3982
Dreamteam05
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesLawrence View Post
Looks like he is off the market..

Oklahoma State gets commitment from JuCo guard Chad Frazier

The Oklahoman is reporting that the 6-4 Frazier will come in as a member of the 2013 recruiting class out of Gulf Coast (Fla.) State College and will have two years of eligibility remaining.....“I called Coach Ford today, around about 12, told him I wanted to commit,” Frazier confirmed in a phone interview with The Oklahoman. “Oklahoma State’s where I want to be.”

But then he was arrested the very next day...

...A basketball recruit was arrested Saturday for minor in possession of alcohol and lying to police.

Pullman police arrested Chad E. Frazier, 20, around midnight at 880 NE B Street and NE California Street. A Daily Evergreen reporter on the scene witnessed the arrest.....

After that.. I don't find much
He decommited from OK state apparently.
http://www.jucorecruiting.com/chad-f...uiting-update/
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:42 PM   #3983
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgen View Post
I hope your right...I've seen video of both, and Colbert looks like a rebounding and dunking machine, but VERY, VERY thin = Not B1G ready.

Schilling's video's looked like a player who has a very well rounded skillset and a college ready body...but reports last year = less production on court.
If you are to be a power player maybe so but i think Rodney Williams proved you can play and be tall and very thin. He is 6'7'' and 206. I think he could play for us anytime he wants to transfer! lol I hope Colbert is wirey strong and aggressive to the ball like Williams is.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:09 PM   #3984
CharlesLawrence
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamteam05 View Post
He decommited from OK state apparently.
http://www.jucorecruiting.com/chad-f...uiting-update/
I guess it doesn't hurt to have another ball handler.. Because we really need one.. and he is only 2 years.. which free's up 2015..
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:12 PM   #3985
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesLawrence View Post
I guess it doesn't hurt to have another ball handler.. Because we really need one.. and he is only 2 years.. which free's up 2015..
But where does the magic 2013 scholarship come from??
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:02 PM   #3986
Kramer116
http://illinois.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1459405

Quote:
Two other players stood out for Simeon in four-star Illinois signee Kendrick Nunn and promising 6-foot-6 four-star wing D.J. Williams, a 2015 prospect. Nunn combined his shooting stroke with physicality on his drives to set a scoring tone for Simeon in the third-quarter comeback, and he was one of the vocal leaders while showing a competitive chip. Williams is a prospect who will be followed closely in the future, but he showed glimpses of that promise in playing key minutes down the stretch. An athletic and versatile wing with great size, Williams finished with nine points and six rebounds in the win.

As the No. 1 prospect in the 2014 class, Okafor is always going to get the most glory for his team, but it's clear to see that he's deserving. The 6-foot-10 center was dominant inside, using his strength and soft touch to score at will against the smaller White Station team, on his way to MVP honors with 16 points and five rebounds. Okafor continued to impress with his improved explosion, throwing down multiple dunks off of floor runs and high-post drives off of spin moves.

The defensive star of the game was Paul White, who did an excellent job in altering the shots of five-star White Station forward LeRon Black. A 6-foot-9 combo forward with versatility to play inside or outside, White is the ideal face-up four man who can defend the perimeter at the next level, showing exactly that in slowing down one of the nation's most gifted young prospects.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:06 PM   #3987
radiodj
I don't spend as much time in this thread as in other ones, but Kramer posted a link with a name that used to get mentioned a lot around here. Is there anything new with the recruitment of Paul White?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:30 PM   #3988
illini73
Quote:
he is much more complete than colbert. everyone on this board quit on him way too early, he will be a stud. worst part is it will be in the big 10 against us. Michigan state will be is his likely landing spot
Dude at one time Colbert was rated top #20 in the nation for the class of 2013. He dropped because his motor was questioned. He is MUCH more complete then Schilling (and I liked Schilling at one time also).
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:34 PM   #3989
IlliniEX2011
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
My favorite part was the quote about Nunn's competitive chip. That sounds refreshing after the Wisky loss, huh?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:43 PM   #3990
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniEX2011 View Post
Anybody got any info on 7th grader EJ Montgomery??? Holy sweet jesus that's heck of a stat line for anyone let alone a 7th grader
Some consider him the top 7th grader in the country. Game is being compared to Grant Hill.
Just crazy to have people rating 7th graders, but I guess they even rate 5th graders.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:49 PM   #3991
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodj View Post
I don't spend as much time in this thread as in other ones, but Kramer posted a link with a name that used to get mentioned a lot around here. Is there anything new with the recruitment of Paul White?
Nope, we are still recruiting him but highly doubtful he will come here but we are following him.

Groce is trying to make inroads into the WY program.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:51 PM   #3992
IlliniEX2011
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Some consider him the top 7th grader in the country. Game is being compared to Grant Hill.
Just crazy to have people rating 7th graders, but I guess they even rate 5th graders.
Yea I actually looked him up, his videos look hilarious. It's just a 6'6" guard dribbling through a bunch of 5 foot tall middle schoolers. I don't believe in rankings that young because the better players have their growth spurts late IMO, but I'd say he's at a real high percentage of being a top 25 guy.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:36 PM   #3993
ChiCityHoops34
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
Dude at one time Colbert was rated top #20 in the nation for the class of 2013. He dropped because his motor was questioned. He is MUCH more complete then Schilling (and I liked Schilling at one time also).
I am excited about Colbert im not hating on him but guys like mike shaw were once very highly rated too. i know he hasnt gotten much of a chance here for PT but you never know if they fell for a small reason like motor, or if in fact the kid topped out his abilities as a sophmore in high school
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:47 PM   #3994
illini73
Quote:
I am excited about Colbert im not hating on him but guys like mike shaw were once very highly rated too. i know he hasnt gotten much of a chance here for PT but you never know if they fell for a small reason like motor, or if in fact the kid topped out his abilities as a sophmore in high school
True, but watching video of Colbert he has a couple inches on Shaw and is twice the athlete. He needs to add weight no doubt, but most seniors in HS do. If the staff can get Colbert to play hard all the time, he could become REAL, REAL good at the UofI.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:15 PM   #3995
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
True, but watching video of Colbert he has a couple inches on Shaw and is twice the athlete. He needs to add weight no doubt, but most seniors in HS do. If the staff can get Colbert to play hard all the time, he could become REAL, REAL good at the UofI.
I am officially nervous...regardless of this is a "new" staff or not. Players whose motor is questioned is always a big risk IMO.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:17 PM   #3996
bigillinfan11
I think Colbert motor will be fine and he will be great illini for us next year and his entire career
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:19 PM   #3997
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Okafor graciously gave the MVP award to LJ Peak after the game. Peak had 17 pts.

Regarding Paul White, I am hearing Marquette, Arizona and Florida. OSU has cooled on him. He is coming on, had some strong games in Florida and South Carolina. Showed a nice touch tonight, albeit in a blowout in over Crane.

With Finke on board, we don't h.ave room for him.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:21 PM   #3998
illini73
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSpine View Post
I am officially nervous...regardless of this is a "new" staff or not. Players whose motor is questioned is always a big risk IMO.
If he was not the type of player Groce wanted the staff would not have recruited him. I cannot wait to see a team/roster that is totally recruited by Groce and staff!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:24 PM   #3999
saltygrapes
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSpine View Post
Mike Davis's motor was questioned. Illinois fans would beg for a Mike Davis on this roster. Colbert's more talented than Davis. Not as tall or lengthy, but far more skill.

Also, Malcolm Hill doesn't always play hard on defense. That's kind of the knock on him right now. Sometimes he coasts a bit. Is that part of simply being a high school star? Lots of Freshman have to get that kick in the ass and then the light goes on.

I do know Nunn is going to bring it all the time, and he's a great athlete, so if you're sick of seeing DJ Richardson get beat off the dribble 8 times per game and sick of seeing him unable to go around anybody on offense, you'll like Kendrick Nunn. And he is a vocal leader and a spirited player.

Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:28 PM   #4000
zpfled
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltygrapes View Post

I do know Nunn is going to bring it all the time, and he's a great athlete, so if you're sick of seeing DJ Richardson get beat off the dribble 8 times per game and sick of seeing him unable to go around anybody on offense, you'll like Kendrick Nunn. And he is a vocal leader and a spirited player.
Rayvonte, Abrams, and Nunn sound like just the backcourt we need. Bulldogs all around!
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »