Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:37 PM   #4051
IlliniPunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
And it's always possible that he's gained 15-20 pounds since then.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:38 PM   #4052
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Good find, Kramer. I'm sure that Groce and his staff have already talked to Colbert about adding weight and muscle. Maybe we can hire Tisdale as the team nutritionist? :laugh:
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:52 PM   #4053
zoggle101
Tommy did grow to 6'10 it looks like. I hope he doesn't end up better than AJ Hammons. TH only has to look as far as a player like Josh Smith to see what lack of conditioning can do to a star player. Really it seems like he just needs to look at himself in the mirror. I wish anyone could really fill us in on what's going on with this kid.

I agree with Dayton. This years Parker is nowhere near the player he has been, and thevNBA is a long ways off for the current player. Good thing a Duke degree along with being a star player at that university ends up being a perfect way to network yourself into a great career.

I finally watched Wiggins play, and all I can say is, wow. He deserves the 1 spot without a doubt.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:00 PM   #4054
Big Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Tommy did grow to 6'10 it looks like. I hope he doesn't end up better than AJ Hammons. TH only has to look as far as a player like Josh Smith to see what lack of conditioning can do to a star player. Really it seems like he just needs to look at himself in the mirror. I wish anyone could really fill us in on what's going on with this kid.

I agree with Dayton. This years Parker is nowhere near the player he has been, and thevNBA is a long ways off for the current player. Good thing a Duke degree along with being a star player at that university ends up being a perfect way to network yourself into a great career.

I finally watched Wiggins play, and all I can say is, wow. He deserves the 1 spot without a doubt.
Have to agree on that I watched him on tv this weekend and he would own Parker.. Of course it did help that their team looked a little more organized playing and they let others make plays but he is by far a better player at this point.. I am just not that impressed the times I have seen Parker play.. He will be more than one and done.. Minimum 2-3 years before he is ready for the NBA.. Wiggins will be a one and done.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:03 PM   #4055
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by tprince34 View Post
Going to the flying to the hoops tournament this weekend in Kettering,Oh. Maverick Morgan will be playing also this is a link to the schedule http://flyintothehoop.com/ftth-schedule/. 4 day event top players from everywhere good tournament to attend
Your number 1 job is to confirm Morgan's weight @ 240#'s.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:12 PM   #4056
orange julius
A player to compare Nunn to at this point would be Osiris Eldridge who played for Illinois State a few years ago. Same height, similar athleticism, both with mediocre handles, both great finishers.. I just hope Nunn turns out to be a better shooter than Eldridge was.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:14 PM   #4057
Big Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Your number 1 job is to confirm Morgan's weight @ 240#'s.

Please twitter us a pick of the scale after the weigh in..:laugh:
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:30 PM   #4058
Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniwek06 View Post
Kinda off topic, but those UFC guys don't weigh the same at the fight as they do for the weigh-ins pre-fight. That is, on fight night, George St. Pierre does not weigh 170, Benson Henderson does not weigh 155, etc.

I would have to assume that Colbert's weight provided by the various recruiting services is based off of more than just "looking at him on the floor."
They may fluctuate a few pounds, but since the weigh-in in generally 24-30 hours before the fight, they aren't adding 20 or 25 pounds overnight. they will get their water weight back, but imagine it can't fluctuate more than 8-10 pounds max.

And you made my point exactly in saying that the scouting services are basing it off of actually being weighed and not by what it looks like. I was agreeing with the person I responded to on this one saying that just because one poster said he looks really thin and couldn't weight more than 170 that you can't tell by looking at someone. So thanks for supporting my point.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:11 PM   #4059
CharlesLawrence
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpfled View Post
Rayvonte, Abrams, and Nunn sound like just the backcourt we need. Bulldogs all around!
+1
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:12 PM   #4060
Chilliniwek
Quote:
Why doesn't somebody with a twitter account tweet him and ask him his weight. Maybe it's not that simple but worth a try.
Sure, I'll do it. Here's my tweet.

Austin, you dont know me, but Im a big illini fan. were all wondering how much you weigh. Also what are you wearing right now? Hope this is not creepy. BTW, I am doing great. I have been thinking about you alot since last weekend. How are you doing? #weirdoill

Obviously I don't tweet a lot.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:18 PM   #4061
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliniwek View Post
Sure, I'll do it. Here's my tweet.

Austin, you dont know me, but Im a big illini fan. were all wondering how much you weigh. Also what are you wearing right now? Hope this is not creepy. BTW, I am doing great. I have been thinking about you alot since last weekend. How are you doing? #weirdoill

Obviously I don't tweet a lot.
Just a classic.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:19 PM   #4062
Chilliniwek
Quote:
Just a classic.
Just havin' some fun, I know you mean well. I'd like to know his real weight as well.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:58 PM   #4063
PillPusherSTL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Carlo View Post
it is very hard to guess a guys weight by looking at him on the floor. If you have ever watched a UFC event you will see two fighters in the same weight class announced and one just looks so much thicker than his opponent and yet they are the same weight. With all three sites having him from 200-210, I am sure that is about right. And again, I think the weight thing is vastly overrated in many cases. If you are a Jared Sullinger type player you need the weight because you play below the rim and need that weight to move opponents for position, however, if you are a Rodney Williams type player who is an above the rim guy you rebound on athleticism and jumping ability so the weight not nearly as important and there seems to be less below the rims guys at the 4 that are stars. Again the best 4 on the planet is Kevin Durant and no one weighs less than he does on that 6'9"/6'10" frame. Heck our flying Illini in Kenny Battle and Lowell Hamilton had no problem rebounding and being very productive inside and neither of them was a George Montgomery type.
I agree with this. I'm 6-7 245, but most people say I "look" 220. If all of the sites have him listed at the same weight I would think that it's fairly accurate. Either way, he's not the Marc Gasol or Zac Randolph type of player that has to use his weight to wear opponents down. You really don't need to weigh that much to rebound either. Just box out and go get it. The only area being outweighed should really be an issue is low post defense, but he already can't be worse in that area than most of our 4's.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:39 PM   #4064
Sports101 on 1450
Quote:
Why doesn't somebody with a twitter account tweet him and ask him his weight. Maybe it's not that simple but worth a try.
Tell you what, I'll call him and ask him.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:59 PM   #4065
Chilliniwek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports101 on 1450 View Post
Tell you what, I'll call him and ask him.
Read the last posts above you, newmeat, already covered.

Welcome!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:59 PM   #4066
SummerofGeorge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownIllini22 View Post
The few Simeon games I've seen have looked like free-for-alls with no structured offense whatsoever and no semblance of a rotation pattern. I know others will disagree, but it really does look like Robert Smith just rolls the balls out and says "Get the ball to Jabari." I'm not going to worry about Nunn unless he struggles after a year of coaching from the staff.
Seen it and you are right on. I think he relates to kids well and instills discipline but no X's and O's or skill development at all.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:59 PM   #4067
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange julius View Post
A player to compare Nunn to at this point would be Osiris Eldridge who played for Illinois State a few years ago. Same height, similar athleticism, both with mediocre handles, both great finishers.. I just hope Nunn turns out to be a better shooter than Eldridge was.
Corey Bradford was considered a pretty good shooter at Illinois. For his career he shot 38% from the field and 39% from 3. Eldridge shot 41% from the field and 37% from 3. Neither one was Steve Kerr but who is?

Eldridge was a tremendous athlete with an incredible motor. I haven't seen Nunn play this year but can only hope he is that athletic and active.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:07 PM   #4068
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerofGeorge View Post
Seen it and you are right on. I think he relates to kids well and instills discipline but no X's and O's or skill development at all.
Got to give Smith credit though, he's probably best CPL recruiter since Sonny Cox.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:56 PM   #4069
Sports101 on 1450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliniwek View Post
Read the last posts above you, newmeat, already covered.

Welcome!
Thanks for the welcome.

Never did see Colbert's weight aside from a listing in June.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:06 PM   #4070
Jphill1989
Banned
Malcolm Hill with 33 pts tonight against cross town rival Belleville West in a 66-65 OT win. His 30th point of the game made him Belleville East's all time leading scorer. Congrats to Malcolm.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:19 PM   #4071
DG1985
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jphill1989 View Post
Malcolm Hill with 33 pts tonight against cross town rival Belleville West in a 66-65 OT win. His 30th point of the game made him Belleville East's all time leading scorer. Congrats to Malcolm.
You could get a mid major offer just by holding MH to 20 points.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:50 PM   #4072
IlliniEX2011
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jphill1989 View Post
That kid can score, I'm really excited to see him develop under Groce. Anyone know his average this year it seems like everytime someone posts his stats he's scored over 30
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:16 PM   #4073
Illinibadge
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
Corey Bradford was considered a pretty good shooter at Illinois. For his career he shot 38% from the field and 39% from 3. Eldridge shot 41% from the field and 37% from 3. Neither one was Steve Kerr but who is?

Eldridge was a tremendous athlete with an incredible motor. I haven't seen Nunn play this year but can only hope he is that athletic and active.
I was in ISU in the class one above Osiris, while he didn't improve as much as we all would have hoped between his Sophmore to Jr./Sr. year I would take a player like that in a heart beat. He was a strong preseason player of the year candidate in the MVC both his Jr. & Sr. year.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:34 PM   #4074
Jphill1989
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniEX2011 View Post
That kid can score, I'm really excited to see him develop under Groce. Anyone know his average this year it seems like everytime someone posts his stats he's scored over 30
Was at 23.9 before this game. I assume he'll be around the 24.3-5 range now after this game. Now that conference play is heating up you'll see that average go up a little more I think. 25.5 PPG I think is what he ends the year at.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:47 PM   #4075
Bailey
So giddy to see this kid on the floor. Completely dominating his ranks, which seems to take a back seat to potential these days. Not saying it's wrong, but I think there's something to be said for that type of pedigree.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »