Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:27 PM   #4176
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Doubtful. He's not even in the Rivals top 150 at this point.
If you mean Tate, then no on Rivals 150, but Morgan is # 148 Rivals and my guess with 25PPG and 10RPPG he will go up from there. Also, he will be in Mr. Ohio BB talk.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:32 PM   #4177
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
If you mean Tate, then no on Rivals 150, but Morgan is # 148 Rivals and my guess with 25PPG and 10RPPG he will go up from there. Also, he will be in Mr. Ohio BB talk.
FWIW I believe Tate was a top 100 player before transferring. I wonder if his play this season will get him back to that status. Sounds like a pretty good recruiting class to me.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:36 PM   #4178
justsomedude
Quote:
I just looked (because I thought the same thing), and he's no longer on there. Bossi must have seen some games with unranked guys that stook out and bumped him to make room.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:41 PM   #4179
Big Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
That was at Macarthur High School

My mom taught in Decatur and knew all the kids involved. All of those kids were far from the angels that Jesse Jackson tried to sell us on and had more legal problems after that incident.
Actually it took place at Lee Pigot Field on Jasper St.. That was were all of the HS played at years ago.. They held the MHS - EHS there for years since it was suppose to be a neutral field.. Three blocks from EHS.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:51 PM   #4180
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomedude View Post
I just looked (because I thought the same thing), and he's no longer on there. Bossi must have seen some games with unranked guys that stook out and bumped him to make room.
You know you are right no MM in top 150 Rivals. My apologies to WVC. Just canceled my Rivals subscription. LOL
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:56 PM   #4181
Jphill1989
Banned
Did anyone see the tweets about Malcolm Hill being nominated to the McDonalds All- American game?

Can anyone clarify if this is actually THE game we see on TV or if it's just a recognition type thing? And this would be very rare for us to have 3 players playing in it, right?

Edit: Also saw Nunn and Colbert were nominated.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:05 PM   #4182
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jphill1989 View Post
Did anyone see the tweets about Malcolm Hill being nominated to the McDonalds All- American game?

Can anyone clarify if this is actually THE game we see on TV or if it's just a recognition type thing? And this would be very rare for us to have 3 players playing in it, right?

That means they're finalists for the game, and might be picked for the game. We'll find out in February.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:21 PM   #4183
CharlesLawrence
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
I am all for recruiting the 2014 class but I don't get recruiting 4's if you are sold on Colbert and Finke.
remember coach JG said he wants to be able to go 10 deep..
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:29 PM   #4184
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesLawrence View Post
To quote Michael Scott.........That's what she said.........:laugh:
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:32 PM   #4185
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
I don't think that I will believe that from any coach until I actually see it. It just doesn't work, due to the fact that upper classmen outplay lower classmen as a rule. So, coaches tend to play about 8 and develop 3,4 or 5. Number in development varies with whether or not they have 13 scholarship players to begin with.

Example is Duke. They recruit as strongly and consistently year to year as anyone. they probably have more 4 year players than average. They do play about 9 guys, which is more than average.
Player % Minutes
Plumlee 84%
Curry 71%
Cook 83%
Sulaimon 74%
Kelly 66%
Thornton 54%
Hairston 30%
Jefferson 21%
Murphy 12%
Don't think you should count anyone playing less than 12% = 5 minutes.

So, even a really deep team doesn't play 10. Just don't think it will happen often, so I choose to ignore that one until I see it. More like marketing than reality, IMO.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:43 PM   #4186
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
AHAHaha
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:45 PM   #4187
CharlesLawrence
Banned
Quote:
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:48 PM   #4188
CharlesLawrence
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
I don't think that I will believe that from any coach until I actually see it. It just doesn't work, due to the fact that upper classmen outplay lower classmen as a rule. So, coaches tend to play about 8 and develop 3,4 or 5. Number in development varies with whether or not they have 13 scholarship players to begin with.

Example is Duke. They recruit as strongly and consistently year to year as anyone. they probably have more 4 year players than average. They do play about 9 guys, which is more than average.
Player % Minutes
Plumlee 84%
Curry 71%
Cook 83%
Sulaimon 74%
Kelly 66%
Thornton 54%
Hairston 30%
Jefferson 21%
Murphy 12%
Don't think you should count anyone playing less than 12% = 5 minutes.

So, even a really deep team doesn't play 10. Just don't think it will happen often, so I choose to ignore that one until I see it. More like marketing than reality, IMO.
You wanna check Mizz stats? and Minn? not sure, but I swear their rotation was 5 in 5 out.. That is what Coach JG wants to be able to do. That way you just keep attacking our opponent, full press and full sprint the whole game.. That is what he wants to do. I do remember him saying that he isn't anywhere near installing his full system yet.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:08 PM   #4189
sapan1030
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jphill1989 View Post

It would be very rare, unless you're Kentucky, Arizona, or UNC, in which case pretty much every player on the court is already committed to one of those schools. 814 players were nominated as finalists for the game. There is a 0% chance Nunn OR Colbert OR Hill will be there. There are far more talented players out there, and that's not to take anything away from those guys
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:09 PM   #4190
Calvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
That means they're finalists for the game, and might be picked for the game. We'll find out in February.
The nominations are quite an honor in themselves, but very few are actually named to the teams. We very likely won't have any.

"The full list, which comprises hundreds of names will be pared down to just 24 boys during the McDonald’s All American Games Selection Show"
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:11 PM   #4191
Team20Illini
Quote:
You wanna check Mizz stats? and Minn? not sure, but I swear their rotation was 5 in 5 out.. That is what Coach JG wants to be able to do. That way you just keep attacking our opponent, full press and full sprint the whole game.. That is what he wants to do. I do remember him saying that he isn't anywhere near installing his full system yet.
Based on stats, Minn has 11 guys who average more than 7 minutes a game and have played 15 or more games. Didn't dig deep enough yet to see if any recent injuries occured.

Mizz has 9 players averaging more than 10 minutes per game with one player in the 7-8 minute range.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:57 PM   #4192
CAHALL15
Quote:
Morgan dropped out of the top 150 and as another poster said, I seem to remember Tate being in the top 150 before transferring. I think Morgan definitely gets back in and maybe Tate too.

Back to the Simeon/Morgan Park game, whether Tate or Nunn started the fight is irrelevent, what it says to me is that these kids compete and don't back down to anyone including other very talented players (Garrett). I hope these two bring some added toughness to the program.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:28 PM   #4193
Jphill1989
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapan1030 View Post
It would be very rare, unless you're Kentucky, Arizona, or UNC, in which case pretty much every player on the court is already committed to one of those schools. 814 players were nominated as finalists for the game. There is a 0% chance Nunn OR Colbert OR Hill will be there. There are far more talented players out there, and that's not to take anything away from those guys
I tend to disagree with you on this. Saying theres a 0% chance for Colbert even Nunn I can get on board with given how their seasons have gone with Colbert not even playing a game and Nunn I would assume is right above 10 PPG. But Hill, is where I disagree with you on having no shot. He put on a really really good performance at the top 100 Camp, everyone there was tweeting/talking about how impressed they were with him and how good he was compared to the best. That was hindered and his ranking did not improve because of his big injury in the crucial period during the summer.

He has a legitimate chance to win Mr. Basketball in Illinois and average 25-26 PPG, 6-7 RPG and 3-4 Assists per game while averaging over 2-3 steals and blocks a game. Combine this with a possibility to make a deep State Title run in one of the best basketball states in America against legit competition and I think its almost absurd to say he has a ZERO percent chance of making the game.

Great accolades for these kids by the way.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:38 PM   #4194
CharlesLawrence
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team20Illini View Post
Based on stats, Minn has 11 guys who average more than 7 minutes a game and have played 15 or more games. Didn't dig deep enough yet to see if any recent injuries occured.

Mizz has 9 players averaging more than 10 minutes per game with one player in the 7-8 minute range.
I believe this is what Groce wants to.. Its being done and they are top teams in the nation
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:45 PM   #4195
zoggle101
I could see MH make it because he's the best in his area ( metro east & STL ) I think. Are there any STL players with a high national ranking? I believe mike Rosario made the team with a +50 ranking in 08, but he had the east coast exposure. Not only can a player make the McD's game as a +50 guy they also can be drafted and excell in the NBA. See Clay Thompson.

I doubt like others have stated that Nunn or Colbert move in the rankings. I expect MM to be in the top 150 when it's all said and done. I'll also assume MH makes a jump which was expected before his injury forced him to miss a crucial segment of the summer evaluation process. Kid is young for his grade and is tearing it up. I don't watch Simeon enough to say Tate should make a jump into the top 150 or not. I haven't been impressed with anyone on Simeon apart from the sophomore when watching them on tv. Outclassed all over the court in all the games I've seen.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:51 PM   #4196
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
I doubt like others have stated that Nunn or Colbert move in the rankings. I expect MM to be in the top 150 when it's all said and done. I'll also assume MH makes a jump which was expected before his injury forced him to miss a crucial segment of the summer evaluation process. Kid is young for his grade and is tearing it up. I don't watch Simeon enough to say Tate should make a jump into the top 150 or not. I haven't been impressed with anyone on Simeon apart from the sophomore when watching them on tv. Outclassed all over the court in all the games I've seen.
Put it this way. There is a reason coach Smith is still coaching Simeon and not a college like he wants.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:55 PM   #4197
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
You know you are right no MM in top 150 Rivals. My apologies to WVC. Just canceled my Rivals subscription. LOL
No worries. Even if he was still #148, that's a big climb to 4 star status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHALL15 View Post
Morgan dropped out of the top 150 and as another poster said, I seem to remember Tate being in the top 150 before transferring. I think Morgan definitely gets back in and maybe Tate too.
Tate was in the 70s as a soph.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:05 PM   #4198
Illiniwek06
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
I could see MH make it because he's the best in his area ( metro east & STL ) I think. Are there any STL players with a high national ranking? I believe mike Rosario made the team with a +50 ranking in 08, but he had the east coast exposure. Not only can a player make the McD's game as a +50 guy they also can be drafted and excell in the NBA. See Clay Thompson.
I don't think Thompson was a McD AA, was he? If so, it may have helped that his father was a pro. Also, "excel" may be a bit overstated, but I understand your overall point that rankings don't necessarily disqualify people from making an impact in the NBA.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:19 PM   #4199
Il4ever ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHITIllini View Post
Definitely Eisenhower.. it was the football game BETWEEN Eisenhower and Macarthur
Yes it was Eisenhower. My daugther was attending EHS at that time. Too bad they didnt run over Jesse when he laid down in front of the squad car.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:36 PM   #4200
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomedude View Post
I think he dropped out when a few kids re-classified from 2014 to 2013 like Wiggins.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »