Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:10 PM   #51
stevo99
Quote:
Originally Posted by First2Ten View Post
Malcolm told me today he's a legit 6'7 FWIW

Well that's a primary source if ever there was one.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:11 PM   #52
Dreamteam05
We are going to really see how good Tate and nunn are at the beginning of the season, Jabari is hurt and won't play for a while, he was in a walking boot just two weeks ago. I think those two might really open up some eyes because they are going to have to make up for the loss of Parker, this might let nunn really show off his skills.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:15 PM   #53
stevo99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamteam05 View Post
We are going to really see how good Tate and nunn are at the beginning of the season, Jabari is hurt and won't play for a while, he was in a walking boot just two weeks ago. I think those two might really open up some eyes because they are going to have to make up for the loss of Parker, this might let nunn really show off his skills.

Simeon has enough depth that they will be OK short term. Nunn won't have to take 25 shots.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:17 PM   #54
IlliniFreak7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaChief View Post
I'm sorry I should have been more clear. I was just saying how we always look forward looking for our savior. Some kids pan out, others don't. And the top kids that we "lead" for 2 years out usually go to the blue bloods. Foster was not viewed as mid-major 2 years ago, and we talked about the big 3 of Foster, Parker and Hamilton were going to put us back on top.
I totally agree with you here; however, the 2015 class is a little different as the big 3 for us are all guards/wings and these players tend not to have the propensity to drop quite like bigs when other people catch up in size. The things that the 2015 class is capable already is insane and a lot of it is a result of just be straight up skilled rather than bigger than everyone else.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:19 PM   #55
IlliniFreak7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by First2Ten View Post
Malcolm told me today he's a legit 6'7 FWIW
Thats just scary if hes that tall. Once his body catches up with his height thats just crazy to think about
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:20 PM   #56
Fightin Illini
Does anyone know if Nunn is still 6'3.....he seems taller in recent pics (almost 6'5) or is it the camera angles?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:21 PM   #57
Dreamteam05
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo99 View Post
Simeon has enough depth that they will be OK short term. Nunn won't have to take 25 shots.
Of course they will be deep enough, and I never said he will take 25 shots, all I said was he might have to do a little more and he might be more of a focus point. He might get to show off his skills a little bit more.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:21 PM   #58
illiniobserver22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightin Illini View Post
Does anyone know if Nunn is still 6'3.....he seems taller in recent pics (almost 6'5) or is it the camera angles?
He's not 6'5". I'd peg him at 6'2", but you always get that extra inch.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:25 PM   #59
Illinifn79
Banned
Fwiw i think LA will be picking the illini. I dont see Lyle coming here maybe Zabo with the marlynad rutgers addition as it adds more to the East Coast. I still dont see him coming here though.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:25 PM   #60
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniobserver22 View Post
He's not 6'5". I'd peg him at 6'2", but you always get that extra inch.
Agree he is 6'1" or 6'2" at best I'm pretty sure.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:29 PM   #61
Illinifn79
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Agree he is 6'1" or 6'2" at best I'm pretty sure.
He plays taller than he is but yes he is about 6'2
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:31 PM   #62
Fightin Illini
Thanks for the clarification regarding Nunn's height......It just seems that he was taller than Tate in the pics taken the day of signings'.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:35 PM   #63
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFreak7 View Post
Thats just scary if hes that tall. Once his body catches up with his height thats just crazy to think about
That's sort of like the jump ML made. Goes from a guard's height to a wing that can play the 4 in a pinch. And oh-by-the-way might be the best shooter in the state.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:44 PM   #64
Madturkillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
Abrams current performance is very encouraging. Small sample size so far, but he is playing better and has made more progress than I had expected. He single-handedly kept us in the game vs. Hawaii until the rest of the team woke up.
+1

Even though I like Abrams a lot, I wasn't hopeful about him being an 'always reliable' PG. However I'm pleasantly surprised with what I saw so far this season.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:44 PM   #65
IlliniFreak7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
That's sort of like the jump ML made. Goes from a guard's height to a wing that can play the 4 in a pinch. And oh-by-the-way might be the best shooter in the state.
Dont forget the fact that he can handle the ball and is great at driving the lane
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:50 PM   #66
Madturkillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo99 View Post
Well that's a primary source if ever there was one.
Yep. He will be sitting next to JG on the bench sometimes during the games, which makes him a legit insider :laugh:

Is MH good as a slasher too by the way?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:52 PM   #67
Madturkillini
Quote:
He is listed 6'1 still in Scout, but he definitely looks taller than that. I would say 6'3-6'4.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:01 PM   #68
IlliniFace
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification regarding Nunn's height......It just seems that he was taller than Tate in the pics taken the day of signings'.
Yeah, Rivals has Tate at 6'2'' and Nunn at 6'3''. I agree he looks a tad taller but not by much. Looks like he has a huge vertical so 6'3'' works for me.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:06 PM   #69
Illiniwek06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madturkillini View Post
Yep. He will be sitting next to JG on the bench sometimes during the games, which makes him a legit insider :laugh:

Is MH good as a slasher too by the way?
I haven't seen Hill's game footage, but I read that he gets to the line a ton, so I assume that he can slash. I've also read (I forget the source - Henricksen? or maybe doughnut brothers) that he has one of the best mid range games in the 2013 class. I don't recall if that was in reference to just the state of IL or if it was national.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:07 PM   #70
IlliniFace
Also, Rivals had Brandon Paul listed as 6'2'' coming out of high school and I don't ever recall hearing he grew after he enrolled. Who knows though, I grew 2 inches my freshman year at UIUC (definitely wasn't the food at the six-pack).

Watching what little video I've seen of Nunn it seems like he has a similar build and athleticism to Paul and is a better defender at this stage in his development.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:11 PM   #71
Madturkillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniwek06 View Post
I haven't seen Hill's game footage, but I read that he gets to the line a ton, so I assume that he can slash. I've also read (I forget the source - Henricksen? or maybe doughnut brothers) that he has one of the best mid range games in the 2013 class. I don't recall if that was in reference to just the state of IL or if it was national.
I know it is too early to reach conclusions, but so far it looked like Groce's system heavily relies on 3 pointers, and somewhat to the PG's ability to attack the rim, so I'm not sure how much MH's mid range game ability will be utilized within this system.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:14 PM   #72
Foo G
#TeamKickass
DEFENSE!!!!

It's odd; I was out mowing the yard and doing other manly-type chores around the house yesterday.
As we all do, I'm sure, I was thinking about Illinois basketball and recruiting.
A thought popped into my head about KBD and Hill, both projected at the 3, before I heard about "the major disappointment".
What does KBD do better than Hill?
I know they're both great players and you want to keep the local guys at home, but I think that having Hill in the fold softens the KBD miss substantially.
Even without KBD, we have a great core of perimeter players to build around.
I've been on the fence about Larry Austin for a while, but the more I think about it, the more I like what he would allow us to do.
Austin and Nunn could be one of, if not the best defensive guard tandems in the country -- for 2-3 years! (USA...USA...USA!!!)
I think Tate could be really good on that end as well, although he is probably not at the same level right now.
Throw in Rice and Abrams, and I'm REALLY excited about the defensive possibilities over the next few years, especially since we are now beginning to use it to facilitate offensive opportunities.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:14 PM   #73
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I have felt for a long time Nunn would be the best player on our team the minute he stepped foot on campus. This was before he committed, so he was the guy I really wanted. I was jacked when he committed. Hill is more of a natural scorer, but Nunn has a better overall game IMO.
I wouldn't attempt to distinguish the potential of Hill and Nunn at this point. These two guys are the "stars" of the 2013 class packaged with three solid recruits that fit Groce's system at the other three positions.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:15 PM   #74
illinisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniwek06 View Post
He's a solid player all around. He was known as a slasher and mid range shooter early but he's worked hard on his outside shot and when he played at the NBPA Top 100 camp, a lot of national recruiting analysts took notice of it. I think once he gains some weight and strength he's going to be a match up nightmare.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:15 PM   #75
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madturkillini View Post
I know it is too early to reach conclusions, but so far it looked like Groce's system heavily relies on 3 pointers, and somewhat to the PG's ability to attack the rim, so I'm not sure how much MH's mid range game ability will be utilized within this system.
Groce likes to have multiple perimeter players capable of attacking off the dribble.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »