Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:24 PM   #101
job71188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymo View Post
Uhhhh did anyone see how bad we got out rebounded against Hawaii?????
I think #1 priority in 14 should be a pure rebounder. I don't care if they are big bodied or small bodied or 6 foot or 7'6". We NEED rebounding.
I don't think we should be recruiting in 2014 to correct this season's shortcomings. Groce should be recruiting to fill a perceived need for the 2014-2016 years. I'm not saying we won't need a good rebounder, but by the start of 2014, 2 (and possibly 3 or 4) of our 5 big men currently on the roster will be gone.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:33 PM   #102
Foggy Notion
Quote:
Originally Posted by job71188 View Post
I don't think we should be recruiting in 2014 to correct this season's shortcomings. Groce should be recruiting to fill a perceived need for the 2014-2016 years. I'm not saying we won't need a good rebounder, but by the start of 2014, 2 (and possibly 3 or 4) of our 5 big men currently on the roster will be gone.
True, but that's one of the reasons we need to recruit rebounders. We will have fewer players who can rebound.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:44 PM   #103
illini80
fwiw on the Hill/Nunn conversation.... Hendrickson was on sportsline saturday morning and he feels Hill has a much higher ceiling than Nunn. Definite NBA potential.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:50 PM   #104
zpfled
Quote:
Originally Posted by job71188 View Post
Won't we have Egwu, Henry, Colbert, Morgan, and Shaw as bigs, then?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:19 PM   #105
job71188
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpfled View Post
Won't we have Egwu, Henry, Colbert, Morgan, and Shaw as bigs, then?
First I wouldn't classify Henry as a big. Yea he can play the 4, but at 6-6, I think he is more a 3 and a tweener at best. Certainly not a big.

And I was replying to the post that said Hawaii killed us on the glass last night so we need a great rebounder in 2014. Morgan and Colbert weren't playing Friday night so I didn't count them. And between Egwu, Shaw, and Ibby, we may only have 1 or 2 of them still on the roster when a 2014 recruit would be a freshman.

For all we know, Groce may be convinced that Colbert's athleticism will allow him to be a great rebounder and that need is met. On the other hand, Groce may feel Colbert and Morgan lack in that area and could use a strong rebounder in the 2014 class.

My point is Groce should recruit for 2014 based on 2014, 2015, and 2016's expected needs, not the 2012 season's needs. A 2014 recruit won't impact for 3-4 seasons so to recruit someone based on a weakness today is not smart. That's something the previous coaching staff seemed to do.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:32 PM   #106
BigTenChamp87
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
Did anyone see the video of K Nunn posted yesterday or a couple of days ago? I cant remember which thread it was in, but he appears to have gotten taller and stronger and his athleticism is off the charts. That is something I do not recall seeing so much of in his older highlight tapes.
Kendrick is going to be the star of this class. That is not to take anything away from the others, but 2013 will be Kendrick's class.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:42 PM   #107
FinalFour88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTenChamp87 View Post
Kendrick is going to be the star of this class. That is not to take anything away from the others, but 2013 will be Kendrick's class.
I think Hill and Nunn will be co-stars of the class. They could both be very good and be a great tandem.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:24 PM   #108
combes
Quote:
That would be great because if that comes to pass that will mean Nunn improves and continues to develop his game because at this point in time, Hill is the better player.

I would be thrilled if Hill comes in as good as I expect him to be and then Nunn ends up better.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:33 PM   #109
Letswinagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
That would be great because if that comes to pass that will mean Nunn improves and continues to develop his game because at this point in time, Hill is the better player.

I would be thrilled if Hill comes in as good as I expect him to be and then Nunn ends up better.

Combes, I haven't seen any of the new recruits play in person. If you have, how do you rate Hill's ceiling compared to KBD? Just curious, and am not wallowing because KBD is headed to OSU. That ship has sailed and I'm looking forward to the next recruit. Just trying to get a feel for Hill's potential. Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:34 PM   #110
UofIChE06
Quote:
You are right he will be. Doesn't mean he will have the best career. Dee Brown was the star of the 2002 class and a legend to this day. DWill has the better career. Unless Nunn turns into a PG he may follow the same path. He can still be a legend in the state of Illinois but Hill has more pro potential by a good bit.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:00 PM   #111
SummerofGeorge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letswinagain View Post
Combes, I haven't seen any of the new recruits play in person. If you have, how do you rate Hill's ceiling compared to KBD? Just curious, and am not wallowing because KBD is headed to OSU. That ship has sailed and I'm looking forward to the next recruit. Just trying to get a feel for Hill's potential. Thanks.
I have and I would say Hill by a landslide (no sour grapes with that).
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:02 PM   #112
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Belleville East wins opener 64-42 over Mascoutah. Malcolm Hill 23 pts 5 reb 5 stl. Darreon Reddick 14 pts 3 dimes. James White 17 pts.

Champaign Centennial PF Michael Finke w 31 pts and 10 reb tonight

http://twitter.com/scott_chihoops
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:02 PM   #113
Selfconfour
Banned
So what can you all tell me about where UI is at with these guys:

1. Trevon Bluiett = 65 Small forward ranked 49 by Scout.

2. Paul White 6'8" SF ranked #43 by Scout

Are we on these guys? What are their games like? What are our chances of landing them?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:03 PM   #114
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letswinagain View Post
I have the same question. With Rice and Hill at the three (and potentially Langford and/or Henry), it wasn't clear to me that KBD would see immediate playing time at his preferred position.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:04 PM   #115
illini73
Quote:
Imagine if Nunn were 6'5! With his athleticism, WOW!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:06 PM   #116
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
I have the same question. With Rice and Hill at the three (and potentially Langford and/or Henry), it wasn't clear to me that KBD would see immediate playing time at his preferred position.
I have a feeling that may have been the main deterrent for him. There is always the possibility that we Groce stopped recruiting him.(although highly unlikely)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:10 PM   #117
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini73 View Post
Imagine if Nunn were 6'5! With his athleticism, WOW!
It is interesting his current height is up in the air. Listed at what 6'3? If I recall him standing next to Tate in a picture who is listed at 6'1? Nunn looked more than a couple inches taller if I recall correctly. Someone should just tweet @ him and ask him.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:14 PM   #118
illini73
Quote:
It is interesting his current height is up in the air. Listed at what 6'3? If I recall him standing next to Tate in a picture who is listed at 6'1? Nunn looked more than a couple inches taller if I recall correctly. Someone should just tweet @ him and ask him.
In shoes I would bet Nunn is 6'3, but not much taller than that.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:34 PM   #119
BoolahBoolah
Finke went off for 31 and 10 tonight. Anyone catch him live?

Any idea on his timetable?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:40 PM   #120
illini73
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoolahBoolah View Post

Perfect PF for our system! I hope Groce can "seal the deal"!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:41 PM   #121
Groundhogday
Quote:
I have a feeling that may have been the main deterrent for him. There is always the possibility that we Groce stopped recruiting him.(although highly unlikely)
It is also possible that we were recruiting him as an athletic stretch-4. Groce has said that he likes to be honest about where recruits are projected to fit so there aren't problems with unhappy players after they arrive on campus.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:46 PM   #122
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoolahBoolah View Post

Against who is the question?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:48 PM   #123
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Against who is the question?
Danville

@mattcoldagelli

Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:50 PM   #124
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
Danville
They any good this year? Do they have anyone to guard Finke who he cant just see right over?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:59 PM   #125
Dan
Admin
There's one (1) Finke highlight here, after the 30-second video-

http://illinoishomepage.net/fulltext?nxd_id=439412
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »