Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Maui Invitational Pregame: Illinois vs Chaminade, Tuesday, November 20th, 9:30pm CT, ESPN2

Closed Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:47 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Game 5: Illinois (4-0) vs Chaminade (3-1)

Tuesday, November 20th

Maui Invitational

9:30pm CT

TV: ESPN2

Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:09 AM   #2
TruIllini89
You have to love these Invitational Tournaments no time to worry or prepare for your next opponent just do what your team does best. And just be a little better than the other team Chaminade. Go Illini
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:14 AM   #3
classof2016
Illinois 80 Chaminade 64. Book it.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:28 AM   #4
bleedsorangenblue
ESPN Maui recap for tonight says that IL should be the heavy favorite tomorrow. Blog says all the teams are down except NC. Says not sure if IL is any good or that USC is so bad Does give props to BP3.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...-day-1-roundup
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:31 AM   #5
smallrock98
Banned
Illinois 140 Chaminade 5!!! ok ok, seriously.... Illinois 139 Chaminade 6!!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:32 AM   #6
bleedsorangenblue
ESPN blog:

Also says that if NC should not win this tournament it would be a major upset. Ahhhhh motivation
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:54 AM   #7
zoggle101
How was there a line for the Silver Swords a division two team against Texas?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:15 AM   #8
IlliniRon
Illini Basketball Fan Forever
I feel good about tomorrow's game against the Silver Swords. The players should be focused on the game tomorrow, that's for sure. Coaching staff will get someone to shut down their big scoring guard, DeAndre Haskins of Chaminade, who scored 32 against Texas tonight.

Illini 86
Chaminade 65

Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:57 AM   #9
kbo007
Once Coach gets 5 guys tailored to his system we could be the collegiate version of the mid 2000's Suns with a much bigger emphasis on Defense. That said, I think we cool down a bit against Chaminade but still shoot close to 50% from the field...

ILL - 81
Chaminade - 63

Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:51 AM   #10
IntenselyOrange
No game is a true given, but this is about as free a ride to the championship game as you can get. Hopefully they're not looking ahead and can put the game out of reach early to rest their legs.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:56 AM   #11
JoeJ
KenPom has us 100% winning vs. Cham. Maybe it is because it is just scheduled and the Kenpom guys did not have time for the calculations, but they did beat Texas, so they are not awful. I would say 98% or so. The other Maui games have score predictions. I did see some other 100% on KenPom.
GO ILLINI!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:21 AM   #12
trevdv
Chaminade - 61
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:52 AM   #13
brosox
if we pressure on defense like we did last night, we should win easily. however, if we take Chaminade lightly like Texas did, we will likely be more nervous than we care to be. after all, they will have their home fans and all other non-Illini fans rooting for them, so we know that Chaminade will be playing with real emotion. I am quite certain that Groce will be warning our players, so here is hoping that they will learn from the Hawaii game and come out strong.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:10 AM   #14
HoopCity
Can't wait to see whom our beat writer picks for this next game ?? Support your local team for those close games so your bread keeps getting buttered !!

I prefer a beat writer who understands basketball and tells our fans what we wan't to hear in what obvious was going to be maybe a close game, this is not ridiculous and just respect for our fans !!! Everything I read talked about SC on the net from California was they were not very good and rebuilding.

Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:20 AM   #15
MitchFromAtwood
This game makes me EXTREMELY nervous. I don't know how ANYONE could take Chaminade lightly, especially on their home floor, and especially in this tournament. I think our first 5 minutes of play will be a true testament to how well Groce gets his guys ready for play. I think we win, but I think it will be closer than many are expecting.

Go Illini
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:23 AM   #16
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchFromAtwood View Post
This game makes me EXTREMELY nervous. I don't know how ANYONE could take Chaminade lightly, especially on their home floor, and especially in this tournament. I think our first 5 minutes of play will be a true testament to how well Groce gets his guys ready for play. I think we win, but I think it will be closer than many are expecting.

Go Illini
Its easy to imagine an off game following the last two. And I suppose that if we are going to have one, this is the day to do it. But JG is trying really hard to make his point that everything matters. Every day of practice, every game, every possession. His quote last night was "I don't do bad days." I think he is EAGER for this game as a lesson in wanting it.

Illinois 82
Chaminade 60
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:24 AM   #17
PointGuardU01
Take them seriously. That's all I have to say. We are not as good as that first half last night. We can't take anyone lightly, especially a team that will have 75% of the crowd behind them and just beat Texas by double digits.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:25 AM   #18
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
KenPom has us 100% winning vs. Cham. Maybe it is because it is just scheduled and the Kenpom guys did not have time for the calculations, but they did beat Texas, so they are not awful. I would say 98% or so. The other Maui games have score predictions. I did see some other 100% on KenPom.
GO ILLINI!
He also moved us up to #40 in the nation, a huge jump. And our conference prediction has improved from 7 wins to 8. Because it is a back tested system and right now our history is excellent. Keep playing hard, men !!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:25 AM   #19
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopCity View Post
Can't wait to see whom our beat writer picks for this next game ?? Support your local team for those close games so your bread keeps getting buttered !!

I prefer a beat writer who understands basketball and tells our fans what we wan't to hear in what obvious was going to be maybe a close game, this is not ridiculous and just respect for our fans !!! Everything I read talked about SC on the net from California was they were not very good and rebuilding.
This is an absurd post. It is not the beat writer's job to tell fans what they want to hear, it is to tell them what he thinks based on his observations and conversations. Marcus Jackson was hardly the only one thinking this would be a close game between two relatively unknown commodities.

Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:38 AM   #20
Future Walk-On
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
This is an absurd post. It is not the beat writer's job to tell fans what they want to hear, it is to tell them what he thinks based on his observations and conversations. Marcus Jackson was hardly the only one thinking this would be a close game between two relatively unknown commodities.
+1
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:59 AM   #21
ILL in Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopCity View Post

Why read an article where everything you want to hear is told to you. The thoughts in your own head should be satisfying enough for that. Vegas thought it was a pick em so you are the best predictor if you knew we would win by 30. Trust me, I am as big a fan as anyone on here but I still appreciate objective journalism. Go Illini!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:13 AM   #22
illinois_hustle
My Kool-Aid needs vodka
Close game but we will win. Got to remember these are kids and they just may be thinking they are indeed all that right about now.

Chaminade 68
Illinois 75
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:20 AM   #23
DaytonIllini
Chaminade is a decent team. They'll play tough. We won't be near as good as last night. But we'll be a lot better than Texas (who is simply God Awful) and Chaminade will not play as well as they did either. 80 something to 60 something good guys.

Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:32 AM   #24
cjcastan
With the Hawaii game where we got popped in the mouth for the first time, and seeing Chaminade upset texas in the game before. Our boys will be ready.

A surge in the 2nd half puts this game in the rear view and more PT for MLT /MS / Ibby / Bernadini.

Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:41 AM   #25
IlliniByProxy
I really hope Butler gives UNC a hard fought game tonight and we distance ourselves early against Chaminade. It would be great to let our guys rest their legs and see what MLT, Langford, and Shaw can do.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »