Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

11/22 Games

Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:17 PM   #1
trevdv
- Stanford vs. #13 Mizzou (Battle For Atlantis)
- Minnesota vs. #5 Duke (Battle for Atlantis)
- VCU @ #19 Memphis
- UTEP @ Oklahoma (ESPN2)
- Clemson @ #17 Gonzaga (ESPN2)
- Northern Iowa @ #2 Louisville

Will be interested to see how Gonzaga plays tonight. Minnesota-Duke has potential. VCU-Memphis is intriguing too.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:26 PM   #2
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
- Stanford vs. #13 Mizzou (Battle For Atlantis)
- Minnesota vs. #5 Duke (Battle for Atlantis)
- VCU @ #19 Memphis
- UTEP @ Oklahoma (ESPN2)
- Clemson @ #17 Gonzaga (ESPN2)
- Northern Iowa @ #2 Louisville

Will be interested to see how Gonzaga plays tonight. Minnesota-Duke has potential. VCU-Memphis is intriguing too.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!
Did I hear the announcers last night say they could see Gonzaga in the Final 4 this year? Or did I imagine that?

Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:28 PM   #3
OrangeAndBlue217
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Did I hear the announcers last night say they could see Gonzaga in the Final 4 this year? Or did I imagine that?
I believe you heard correctly. I am not surprised by that. Going to be a really good game when we play them.
OrangeAndBlue217 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:22 PM   #4
zoggle101
Mizzo, Duke, Memphis, OU(solid team), Gonzaga, and Louisville for the W's. Im going out on a limb in those predictions I know.

Gonzaga shouldn't have any trouble with Clemson solid frontcourt of Milton Jennings, and Little Booker. The Tigers might compete but I really can't see them winning this game.

I think Geron Johnson might suit up for the Tigers today. Anyone know for sure?

MINNY and Puke should be a battle. People didn't want to listen pre season but the Gophers have talent and depth this year. I knw they do most years but this is a top 25 caliber club.

Stanford needs this W after losing at home to a solid Belmont Bruins team. I just think its a year to early to win thi game for the Cardinals.

If Louisville loses to an always pesky Northern Iowa Panthers team I won't know what to think. Jacobson's march magic isn't here yet and the Cardinals should roll easily. Well by 8 if anything.

Fun day of Ball.

Last edited by zoggle101; Nov 22, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:50 PM   #5
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Stanford gave Mizzou all they could handle but couldn't ever grab a 2nd half lead. I was underwhelmed by Mizzou, they looked more lethargic and much less dangerous than in past years, but it's also a morning game on Thanksgiving day and early in the season.

Former Illini Pride President (2012-2013)
Orange Krush Class of 2013!

Orange Krush Road Trip @ Iowa, Feb. 3, 2010
danielb927 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:52 PM   #6
zoggle101
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb927 View Post
Stanford gave Mizzou all they could handle but couldn't ever grab a 2nd half lead. I was underwhelmed by Mizzou, they looked more lethargic and much less dangerous than in past years, but it's also a morning game on Thanksgiving day and early in the season.
Man I didn't even know it was on. I'm about to go check and see if Dwight Powell played.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:56 PM   #7
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Man I didn't even know it was on. I'm about to go check and see if Dwight Powell played.
It was on AXS which used to be HDNet. Night games in that tourney are on NBC Sports. Lots of good teams in that tourney, it'll have some good games this weekend.

Former Illini Pride President (2012-2013)
Orange Krush Class of 2013!

Orange Krush Road Trip @ Iowa, Feb. 3, 2010
danielb927 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:10 PM   #8
zoggle101
Aaron Bright didn't play today after really struggling against Belmont last game. Powell plated and did well. I had no clue Tony Crisswell was on Missouri's roster. Should add some depth in the front court after losing Kadeem Green last year who ended up at Ohio. Another Tiger playing elsewhere is Ricky Kreklow at Cal. You might remember him as the son of Missouri's volleyball coach at that time. Tall wing who can shoot it.

Davidson taking it to a commodore team I thought wouldbe a bubble team, certain NIT team this year. That is looking like a bad forecast. De'mon Brookes and Jake Cohen are plain tough players. Brooke's has a NBA feel to his game.

West Va. took care of business today and hopefully that embarrassing loss to Gonzaga has this bubble team more focused.

Of course it wouldn't be normal without an upset. The Pacific Tigers are about to take out an Xavier team that the whole country was hot on including myself after the way the dismantled the Butler Bulldogs coupled with the recent national perception of Butler after beating a much more talented in my opinion UNC team.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:10 PM   #9
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Mizzou is integrating a lot of new guys and is missing 2 of their top scorers, so don't put too much stock in this game.

Quote:
It was on AXS which used to be HDNet. Night games in that tourney are on NBC Sports. Lots of good teams in that tourney, it'll have some good games this weekend.
Duke and Minny playing right now.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:18 PM   #10
Illini87InClt
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Yes, I remember the announcers saying that about Gonzaga last night. The game on 12/8 should be a great early test.
Illini87InClt is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:16 PM   #11
lstewart53x3
Looks like VCU is going to knock off Memphis. Is it just me or is Memphis pre season ranked high every year only to lose...a lot?

If we win on Sunday, we might just take their spot : )
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:23 PM   #12
OrangeAndBlue217
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart53x3 View Post
Looks like VCU is going to knock off Memphis. Is it just me or is Memphis pre season ranked high every year only to lose...a lot?

If we win on Sunday, we might just take their spot : )
Memphis is always overrated. I feel like they have jut been riding the left over hype from D Rose and $Cal.
OrangeAndBlue217 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:25 PM   #13
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
Memphis is always overrated. I feel like they have jut been riding the left over hype from D Rose and $Cal.
+1 Yup. They're way overrated.
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:27 PM   #14
LibertyIllini
VCU is going to be very dangerous this year except for the fact that they have issues putting the nail in the coffin on teams.

If you guys want a good laugh, Memphis's basketball forums are melting down like Chernoybl.
LibertyIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:27 PM   #15
zoggle101
VCU looked very good tonight. Top 25 good. Memphis is better than you think.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:30 PM   #16
zoggle101
Clemson and Gonzaga about to tip and Louisville and Northern Iowa soon. Clemson is a little better than I thought.

Time to see if Clemson can be considered bubble material
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:47 PM   #17
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
+1 Yup. They're way overrated.
Josh Pastner has never beaten a top 25 team or won an NCAA tournament game.

I was intrigued by him as a potential coaching candidate but am glad he never became a serious possibility once I learned that.
cjcastan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:11 PM   #18
ChiCityHoops34
Josh pastner can recruit his a$$ off but he recruits whoever the highest ranked is regardless of need/position.

He gets the talent but doesnt know what to do with it.
ChiCityHoops34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:37 PM   #19
lstewart53x3
It's really starting to look like there are no strong teams in college ball this year.

#1. Indiana - way overrated. Will def lose a few games, especially on the road.
#2. Louisville - in a tight game right now with an unranked team.
Former #3. Kentucky - already has one loss this season. They're young, so they'll obviously play better down the stretch, but they won't win it all this year.
#4. Michigan. Close win over Pitt yesterday (Pitt will probably be ranked at some time this season)

Last year we were saying thing like this as excuses for barely beating bad teams, but WOW - Illinois is looking as good as anyone right now. (Not saying we are as good or better than everyone, but I feel we can truly eat ANYONE this year)
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:38 PM   #20
finalfour2011
Zags only scored 23 points in the first half against Clemson. They don't look that good in the paint. I think we can beat these guys. Just wish it was a home game.
finalfour2011 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:12 PM   #21
RadIllini
How's Zaga looking? I'm not able to watch the game right now and I'm just curious.
RadIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:15 PM   #22
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Zags pulling away a bit at the end. They will win by more than ten.
WizardBill is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:17 PM   #23
WizardBill
Illini optimist
McDaniels and Jennings each with 4 fouls. Going to be tough sledding for Clemson to come back. Gonzaga definitely does NOT scare me. Quite beatable. Our up tempo style will be tough for them to match. They do not have the horses to run, or they do not play that way.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:24 PM   #24
BoolahBoolah
Harris is not a good matchup for us. A physical, experienced 4 is the type of player that can give us fits. I love what Griffey has done for us this year, but that's a nightmare matchup for him.

Stockton looks improved, though I think Tracy can and will win that matchup.

The rest of them just look like guys. Should be a good matchup.
BoolahBoolah is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:28 PM   #25
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoolahBoolah View Post
Harris is not a good matchup for us. A physical, experienced 4 is the type of player that can give us fits. I love what Griffey has done for us this year, but that's a nightmare matchup for him.

Stockton looks improved, though I think Tracy can and will win that matchup.

The rest of them just look like guys. Should be a good matchup.
Really? I understand your comments, but I do not see Harris as being too much trouble. I think if TG cannot keep in front of Harris, SM should be able to do that. You are right that the physical play by Harris is tougher, but when we are pushing the tempo like we have done all year, I do not see that being an issue.

Stockton seems to be a decent PG, but TA should not have trouble with him. TA has quicker hands, and Stockton does not take it to the hole. Not sure about Stockton defending TA, if TA can drive and dish. I agree that the others are just "guys". I think we should not have trouble here.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »