Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Early look at the 2013 Depth Chart

Closed Thread

Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:23 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Dear prospective secondary recruits: when Tim Beckman is telling you what every coach tells you -- that you have a chance to play right away -- he really means it.

http://alioneye.com/2012/11/26/early...3-depth-chart/
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Dreamteam05
He did not list Caleb Day on his depth chart. He will help in the secondary i would think
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:40 AM   #3
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamteam05 View Post
He did not list Caleb Day on his depth chart. He will help in the secondary i would think
Hard to tell. I think Day plays offense. Also, Mosely just did an interview where he said originally that he would be competing for a CB spot then said he might play offense . So we aren't for sure where he plays either.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Dreamteam05
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
Hard to tell. I think Day plays offense. Also, Mosely just did an interview where he said originally that he would be competing for a CB spot then said he might play offense . So we aren't for sure where he plays either.
He didnt list Day on either side of the ball.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:50 AM   #5
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamteam05 View Post
He didnt list Day on either side of the ball.
True. He will contribute somewhere I would think/hope.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:51 AM   #6
Dreamteam05
Quote:
True. He will contribute somewhere I would think/hope.
Yea lets hope so. We could for sure use his athletic ability somewhere.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:54 AM   #7
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Mosely still planning on enrolling early?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:01 AM   #8
PaytonHighstep
Quote:

If CB is where they are recruiting this kid and feel this is the position where he will be best for him and the team, then why play him on offense?

Go recruit offensive players that you feel are a good fit. This irritates me for some reason, it seems to happen too often, imo.

If Day and Mosely would solve the depth issue and make our Defensive Backfield better, then why open it up for them to play offense? If you target a player for a particular position and feel their skills are best utilized there, why all the flipping? I don't get it.

Also, I understand that these guys play offense in high school and are successful at those positions as well. I just would like for the coaches to go get / recruit a WR that fit the bill, instead of "borrowing" from another position.

I find it amazing that so far for the 2013 class there aren't more WR commits for a team trying to run the spread offense. Currently we have 2 or 3 guys listed as ATH and 1 JUCO WR.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:04 AM   #9
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaytonHighstep View Post
If CB is where they are recruiting this kid and feel this is the position where he will be best for him and the team, then why play him on offense?

Go recruit offensive players that you feel are a good fit. This irritates me for some reason, it seems to happen too often, imo.

If Day and Mosely would solve the depth issue and make our Defensive Backfield better, then why open it up for them to play offense? If you target a player for a particular position and feel their skills are best utilized there, why all the flipping? I don't get it.

Also, I understand that these guys play offense in high school and are successful at those positions as well. I just would like for the coaches to go get / recruit a WR that fit the bill, instead of "borrowing" from another position.

I find it amazing that so far for the 2013 class there aren't more WR commits for a team trying to run the spread offense. Currently we have 2 or 3 guys listed as ATH and 1 JUCO WR.
It doesn't matter what position Rivals lists them as most of these guys play both ways, especially Day. If the coaches feel they have enough depth coming in that you can move a guy like Mosely to offense (where by the way we have just as little quality depth as the DB's) then I'm all for it.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:11 AM   #10
PaytonHighstep
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
It doesn't matter what position Rivals lists them as most of these guys play both ways, especially Day. If the coaches feel they have enough depth coming in that you can move a guy like Mosely to offense (where by the way we have just as little quality depth as the DB's) then I'm all for it.
I get it.

I know there are depth issues all over this team right now. I just would like the coaches to maybe consider building strength in 1 area if possible, instead of being thin at both positions after shuffling players.

You are right, I am assuming the position listed is where the coaches have evaluated that the player would be best for our team and for player development to make them the best player possible.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:12 AM   #11
TooHot4Tots
Quote:
Mosely still planning on enrolling early?
Yes, he will be here in January which is great
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:12 AM   #12
PaytonHighstep
I still would like to see more WR's on our commit list that fit the spread offensive scheme. Maybe we have current rs-Fr that fit this bill?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:13 AM   #13
Groundhogday
Quote:
Yep. Brandon Lloyd signed with Illinois as a DB and fully intended to play free safety. You sign as many two way WR/DB stars as possible, and sort it out on campus.

Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:18 AM   #14
PaytonHighstep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Yep. Brandon Lloyd signed with Illinois as a DB and fully intended to play free safety. You sign as many two way WR/DB stars as possible, and sort it out on campus.
Then, we hope our coaches can AGREE on who plays what positions and trust their evaluations.

I all capped AGREE for a reason, since there seemed to be rumors of this not happening on the current staff.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:38 AM   #15
I Hate Lemonier
The most frightening part of the blog is this:

+ Even with the results of this season, on paper, the 2013 offense looks better than the 2013 defense. Everyone returns on O except for Graham Pocic and Hugh Thornton, while the defense will have huge holes on the line and in the secondary. {Insert “I saw those huge holes in the line in the last 9 games” joke here.}

I agree with this and think next year looks grim
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:43 AM   #16
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaytonHighstep View Post

Because we have a lack of depth at WR and a lack of playmakers on offense. So we really need 2 of each to split them up. Plus you are complaining about guys flipping who haven't even stepped foot on campus? How do you know they are going to flip?

And who has the flipping of positions not worked out for in the end? Jack Ramsey is the only one I can think of?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:44 AM   #17
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Lemonier View Post

+ Even with the results of this season, on paper, the 2013 offense looks better than the 2013 defense. Everyone returns on O except for Graham Pocic and Hugh Thornton, while the defense will have huge holes on the line and in the secondary. {Insert “I saw those huge holes in the line in the last 9 games” joke here.}

Next year does look grim. But I honestly for some reason disagree. I am much more worried about the offense than defense...and yes...that sounds crazy.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:45 AM   #18
Groundhogday
Quote:

The DL is a particular concern. It is possible for young guys to play well early in the secondary, but it takes time to develop DL. Assuming Spence goes, we essentially lose our entire starting DL, and had little quality depth ready to take their place. I have my fingers crossed that Powell and Williams are ready to make a big step up next year and we sign at least one good JC tackle who enrolls in January.

Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:48 AM   #19
illinidarrin
I see that he has Barr behind Harris? Why would we bring in a Juco player to play behind someone.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:49 AM   #20
illinidarrin
um, what happened to Lakeith Walls?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:51 AM   #21
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
The DL is a particular concern. It is possible for young guys to play well early in the secondary, but it takes time to develop DL. Assuming Spence goes, we essentially lose our entire starting DL, and had little quality depth ready to take their place. I have my fingers crossed that Powell and Williams are ready to make a big step up next year and we sign at least one good JC tackle who enrolls in January.
Agreed. It is my #1 concern next year. I fear teams only having to throw a handful of passes per game next year because we will provide fertile running ground
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:08 AM   #22
Oskee Mayer
Quote:
Agreed. It is my #1 concern next year. I fear teams only having to throw a handful of passes per game next year because we will provide fertile running ground
Ohio State game 2011 here we come.
Until we put nine men in the box, then bombs away.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:13 AM   #23
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidarrin View Post
I see that he has Barr behind Harris? Why would we bring in a Juco player to play behind someone.
Depth. Most of the Juco's recruited by IU last year were in the rotation this year, but didn't start.

Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:19 AM   #24
PaytonHighstep
Quote:
Because we have a lack of depth at WR and a lack of playmakers on offense. So we really need 2 of each to split them up. Plus you are complaining about guys flipping who haven't even stepped foot on campus? How do you know they are going to flip?

And who has the flipping of positions not worked out for in the end? Jack Ramsey is the only one I can think of?

Ok. I should clarify, I am not complaining. I just would simply like 1 area of this team to be a strength. I understand they evaluate the players and put them in positions to perform/succeed. I am simply stating if they see these players as DB's, then leave them there and let them develop. If they see them as WR's, then by all means play them at WR.

When I see a recruit talk about he was going to play DB at Illinois, then mention they may need him at WR because they are thin, all it does for me is say one thing. They wanted the recruit as a DB and thought of him that way (they evaluated that to be his strongest position), but now because they can't recruit a WR they need that player on offense. I may be reading way too much into this, which is probably the case, but that is the message it sends me.

I would still like to see the staff go out and recruit WR's that fit the system they want to run at Illinois.

What WR's on our current roster or recruits fit what they want to do offensively? I have heard lack of separation alot, so what changes this? Recruiting and coaching? If so, then I think they need to recruit more WR's.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:58 AM   #25
ajg1865
I think what everyone is failing to realize is that Beckman could have a team loaded with 5-stars and still lose every game. Players under his "schemes" are not placed in the right spots to make plays. It is evident by the lack of production from NFL caliber players (Buchanan, Spence, Hawthorne) whereas last season, under Koening, these players were contributing to a top 20 defense nationally.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »