Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois vs Western Carolina, Tuesday, December 4th, 7:00pm CT

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:49 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 29,230
Game 9: Illinois (8-0) vs Western Carolina (3-5)

Tuesday, December 4th

The Assembly Hall

Time: 7:00pm CT

No TV

Live video (the $9.95/month plan): http://www.fightingillini.com/allaccess/


Last edited by Dan; Dec 4, 2012 at 09:08 AM.
Dan is offline
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:49 PM   #2
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 29,230
Western Carolina's results- http://www.catamountsports.com/sport...kbl-sched.html
Dan is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:21 AM   #3
U of I 89-05-10
Location: Iowa City, Ia.
Posts: 1,186
Let's just please get a decent crowd. Going to UI basketball games is an absolute blast, and we'll probably be a top 20 team by game time. Come on, Illini Nation; I would be there if I could. We're ironing out our kinks slowly, and we'll just keep getting better, IMO:

Western Carolina 56
Illinois 81
U of I 89-05-10 is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:21 AM   #4
Shenanigans
Shenanigans's Avatar
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 261
We have been spoiled with all of these games and its such a blessing to be rooting for an 8-0 team. Its going to be hard waiting until Tuesday for my basketball fix.

__________________
Illini Bears Cubs Bulls Blackhawks
Shenanigans is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:36 AM   #5
Illini B-Ball Fan
Illini B-Ball Fan's Avatar
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 229
82-63 Illini.
Illini B-Ball Fan is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:43 AM   #6
spin13
Posts: 142
Can the people in A section donate those tickets if they're not using them? Those empty seats stick out like a sore thumb on TV. How good does this team have to be to go watch?
spin13 is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:47 AM   #7
DanvIllini
Super Lurker
Location: Danville, IL
Posts: 449
Does that mean you werent at the game?
DanvIllini is online now
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:54 AM   #8
mattcoldagelli
mattcoldagelli's Avatar
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 2,402
Fact: Western Carolina is not a state

__________________
Twitter Blog

mattcoldagelli is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:33 AM   #9
trevdv
trevdv's Avatar
Location: Champaign
Posts: 3,078
- 82
Western Carolina - 63
trevdv is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:42 AM   #10
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,461
Illinois needs this time off and has a lot to work on.

Groce has his work cut out for him trying to figure out our front court problems, the zone acted as a nice band aid last night but it's far from an ideal situation. The previous staff caught a lot of flak for failing to develop bigs...it's time for Egwu to start making some strides.

For all the talk of how much this team is different, our inability to get to the stripe hasn't changed a bit...not to mention the looks we are getting are almost exclusively coming in garbage time at the end of games. If our post D is going to remain weak, we're going to have to gind a way to start drawing fouls on opposing bigs to slow them down.
AK Illini is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:53 AM   #11
MastFan1
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Illini View Post

For all the talk of how much this team is different, our inability to get to the stripe hasn't changed a bit...not to mention the looks we are getting are almost exclusively coming in garbage time at the end of games. If our post D is going to remain weak, we're going to have to gind a way to start drawing fouls on opposing bigs to slow them down.
In Maui the team shot 56 free throws, or almost 19 per game, in games where there were no garbage time. I'm not sure you're being completely honest.
MastFan1 is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:56 AM   #12
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastFan1 View Post
In Maui the team shot 56 free throws, or almost 19 per game, in games where there were no garbage time. I'm not sure you're being completely honest.
There was a tons of garbage time...
AK Illini is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:24 AM   #13
MastFan1
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Illini View Post
There was a tons of garbage time...
Not the type of garbage time that is conducive to free throw shooting.

When I say garbage time referring to free throws, I mean the period of intentional fouling at the end of the game which definitely inflates free throw stats due to the game being somewhat close.

There was none of that in Maui.
MastFan1 is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:25 AM   #14
RadIllini
RadIllini's Avatar
Location: SoIll
Posts: 170
A well rested Illini get their game on track and win handily 96-62
RadIllini is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:25 AM   #15
IlliniSteve
IlliniSteve's Avatar
Posts: 6,125
Should crack the top 20 by Tuesday, must take care of business and then look forward to our showdown with Gonzaga.

Don't need another Gardner-Webb type game here, blow them out. I'll go:

- 79
Not North Carolina - 59
IlliniSteve is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:38 AM   #16
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 29,230
After 8 games & 9,000 miles in 20 days, Illinois (8-0) has 6 days before next contest, followed by 6 games in December.

Team has the day off today, followed by practice Fri & Sat. Groce used the term "training camp" for next two practices.
Dan is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:41 AM   #17
LubbockIlliniFan
Future Illini class of 2028!
LubbockIlliniFan's Avatar
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
After 8 games & 9,000 miles in 20 days, Illinois (8-0) has 6 days before next contest, followed by 6 games in December.

Team has the day off today, followed by practice Fri & Sat. Groce used the term "training camp" for next two practices.
we are so lucky to be 8-0 after this tough time period...

__________________

Bleeding Orange and Blue in Lubbock
LubbockIlliniFan is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:59 AM   #18
FeelYourPaign
FeelYourPaign's Avatar
Location: Barrington, IL
Posts: 4,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by spin13 View Post
Can the people in A section donate those tickets if they're not using them? Those empty seats stick out like a sore thumb on TV. How good does this team have to be to go watch?
Where in A are the seats empty?
I ask because I didn't see the TV last night, rather I was there, so I don't have the TV visual.

If the empties are across from the team benches and low down, those seats are empty because you cannot see over the Krush. Not a complaint, love Krush, want more space for them, but you can't see over them and so those seats won't sell in this arena configuration. Wait 2 years for the redo, all I can say.

If the empties are behind the bench, I didn't notice much of a problem with that, but perhaps it looks different on TV. Which would reek.
FeelYourPaign is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:09 AM   #19
U of I 89-05-10
Location: Iowa City, Ia.
Posts: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
Where in A are the seats empty?
I ask because I didn't see the TV last night, rather I was there, so I don't have the TV visual.

If the empties are across from the team benches and low down, those seats are empty because you cannot see over the Krush. Not a complaint, love Krush, want more space for them, but you can't see over them and so those seats won't sell in this arena configuration. Wait 2 years for the redo, all I can say.

If the empties are behind the bench, I didn't notice much of a problem with that, but perhaps it looks different on TV. Which would reek.
Well, if that's true, then they need to cover those seats with something. Watch the highlights linked on the homepage; you can see for yourself how bad it looks.
U of I 89-05-10 is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:18 AM   #20
Illiniwek06
Location: N of I-80
Posts: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
Where in A are the seats empty?
I ask because I didn't see the TV last night, rather I was there, so I don't have the TV visual.

If the empties are across from the team benches and low down, those seats are empty because you cannot see over the Krush. Not a complaint, love Krush, want more space for them, but you can't see over them and so those seats won't sell in this arena configuration. Wait 2 years for the redo, all I can say.

If the empties are behind the bench, I didn't notice much of a problem with that, but perhaps it looks different on TV. Which would reek.
It's not only the empties across from benches (I actually didn't notice this). It's more the random seats that are empty behind the commentators/team benches. I'm sure that there are logistical issues, but is there a way for the camera to show the game from the other angle (behind benches)?
Illiniwek06 is online now
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:27 AM   #21
Serious Late
Serious Late's Avatar
Location: Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
Posts: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
Where in A are the seats empty?
I ask because I didn't see the TV last night, rather I was there, so I don't have the TV visual.

If the empties are across from the team benches and low down, those seats are empty because you cannot see over the Krush. Not a complaint, love Krush, want more space for them, but you can't see over them and so those seats won't sell in this arena configuration. Wait 2 years for the redo, all I can say.

If the empties are behind the bench, I didn't notice much of a problem with that, but perhaps it looks different on TV. Which would reek.
The seating configuration is the same this year as any other. There have been plenty of years when those seats were just as full as all the others. Krush is not an excuse for the current situation with A-section.

__________________
One word... Consistency.
Serious Late is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:17 PM   #22
Botb9
Realist
Botb9's Avatar
Posts: 4,613
Sagarin's PREDICTOR ratings imply a 20-point victory over W. Carolina. I'll go a bit further and say the additional practice time will come in handy.
Illinois 89
W. Carolina 62

__________________
Hype is a self-serving beast that feeds on the hopes and dreams of fans.
Botb9 is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:26 PM   #23
FeelYourPaign
FeelYourPaign's Avatar
Location: Barrington, IL
Posts: 4,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniwek06 View Post
It's not only the empties across from benches (I actually didn't notice this). It's more the random seats that are empty behind the commentators/team benches. I'm sure that there are logistical issues, but is there a way for the camera to show the game from the other angle (behind benches)?
I went back and watched the game highlights, looking more at the seats than the game action, and you are completely right. The number of grey seats RIGHT BEHIND the two benches is sick.

It looked to me like everyone in A was old (I'm 56 and I call them old, so take your guidance from that) and local. I think they are in a routine. They go to illinois basketball regularly, but when they want to. They leave the house at the same time, they go to the same restaurant, and they have 20 nights a year out at the big AH. But they aren't passionate. It is just a good thing to do. If they can't make one, meh, there's another next week. What's the big deal?

Very sad.
Hope the redo and a some intestinal fortitude allows the Ath Dept. to reconfigure the seating a lot and get rid of this problem.
FeelYourPaign is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:18 PM   #24
TCTORNADO
Posts: 3,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
I went back and watched the game highlights, looking more at the seats than the game action, and you are completely right. The number of grey seats RIGHT BEHIND the two benches is sick.

It looked to me like everyone in A was old (I'm 56 and I call them old, so take your guidance from that) and local. I think they are in a routine. They go to illinois basketball regularly, but when they want to. They leave the house at the same time, they go to the same restaurant, and they have 20 nights a year out at the big AH. But they aren't passionate. It is just a good thing to do. If they can't make one, meh, there's another next week. What's the big deal?

Very sad.
Hope the redo and a some intestinal fortitude allows the Ath Dept. to reconfigure the seating a lot and get rid of this problem.
You forgot they donate $10,000++ each a year to DIA!!
Overall announced attendance was only 12,200 and that included no shows. College BB attendance has been on the decline recently. Economy, general apathy, alternative viewing options, poor product, you name it and it means reduced fan interest.
We're coming off of one of the worst 5 year stretches in UI history. It's going to take time to get this brand back to where it was in the 2000-2006 stretch. Momentum is there, now we just need to show some consistency and the AH will be rockin again.
TCTORNADO is offline
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:26 PM   #25
FeelYourPaign
FeelYourPaign's Avatar
Location: Barrington, IL
Posts: 4,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
You forgot they donate $10,000++ each a year to DIA!!
Overall announced attendance was only 12,200 and that included no shows. College BB attendance has been on the decline recently. Economy, general apathy, alternative viewing options, poor product, you name it and it means reduced fan interest.
We're coming off of one of the worst 5 year stretches in UI history. It's going to take time to get this brand back to where it was in the 2000-2006 stretch. Momentum is there, now we just need to show some consistency and the AH will be rockin again.
Yes, I get that and it is pretty reasonable. I'm not mad at the A Section fans, but I wish they were there (#1), loud and proud (#2), not watching like they were in their den. It was pretty quiet down low. It is their money and their privilege, no gripe with that. But if the university changed the deal and gave those booster a "ring of honor" around the top of A or something and let the students have the floor, their comfy seat would be to a better game.
FeelYourPaign is offline
Closed Thread


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump