Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Rayvonte Rice on Schedule

Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Kramer116
http://www.illinihq.com/sports/illin...-schedule.html

Quote:
Every game day, he does a 35- 40-minute workout after shootaround. Hes been great; hes getting better every day. He works at it. Were really concentrating on his ball handling and his midrange shot, Parham said. I just feel like he comes to work, he knows he needs to use this time to get better. Hopefully he can keep this energy up. The season will get long to him. Sometimes its hard for guys who are sitting out because its so long and you dont get to play. But hes been great so far.

Hes a competitor, a high-level competitor. He wants to win every drill, everything we do, he tries to compete to win, Parham said. Weve been on the road a lot so we havent been able to do much, but Friday and Saturday, well get after it pretty hard. Practices are his game days.

The 6-foot-4 Rice said he weighed 237 pounds earlier this week. He was 257 when Parham arrived late this summer.
While some were meh about Rice, I was higher on him. He is proven at the college level, and he was going to work his butt off to prove he deserves to be at this level. He is a big time addition next year after we lose so much scoring with BP, DJ, and TG.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Kramer116 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:34 PM   #2
NorthwesternIllini4
Banned
Thanks Kramer.

If Rayvonte continues to work hard and develop his skills, he could be a very nice player for us the next two years. Even if he doesn't start, he could do what JoeTales has done for us so far this year- provide scoring and energy spark off the bench. He sounds like the intense player that every team needs to keep everyone else motivated during every drill and exercise.
NorthwesternIllini4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:35 PM   #3
WiskyIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
http://www.illinihq.com/sports/illin...-schedule.html

While some were meh about Rice, I was higher on him. He is proven at the college level, and he was going to work his butt off to prove he deserves to be at this level. He is a big time addition next year after we lose so much scoring with BP, DJ, and TG.

I heard his mom is a great cook. Just keep him away from Southern Soul food. I know, when I came back to live with the parents while going to school, I ballooned in weight. My mom is from the south and they sure know how to cook......lots of lard, lol.
WiskyIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:38 PM   #4
WizardBill
Illini optimist
So, this brings to question for me, Red shirts cannot participate in ANY team activity, is that correct? BUT, transfers who sit out a year can still practice with the team? Is that correct? If both of those are correct, that would help explain why transferring would be optimal to some vs. redshirting.
WizardBill is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:43 PM   #5
NorthwesternIllini4
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardBill View Post
So, this brings to question for me, Red shirts cannot participate in ANY team activity, is that correct? BUT, transfers who sit out a year can still practice with the team? Is that correct? If both of those are correct, that would help explain why transferring would be optimal to some vs. redshirting.
I've never heard that, but then again I'm not very knowledgeable w/r/t these rules. If that's the case, that's a crazy rule and no player would want to redshirt (except in the case of an injury). I would assume that redshirts can practice/train just like any other teammate, but can't play in games.

Perhaps someone with greater insight can shed some light?
NorthwesternIllini4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:50 PM   #6
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Red shirts can still practice AFAIK.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Kramer116
Quote:
Players can practice and participate in team activities while redshirting, they just can't play in games (besides exhibitions). Langford was practicing last year when he was finally healthy.

Transfers can practice too, not 100% about traveling with the team though. I think they may have just held back Rice so he can focus on school and working out but maybe he was not allowed to go with. I wonder if he can travel to B1G games. I would have to assume so. Does anyone remember if Legion did?

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Illini70math
It's easy to figure out if you understand that a "redshirt" is not an official standing during that season. You actually claim the redshirt year later as a result of not playing during that season. It's part of the five to play four rule. They can do everything any other player does except play in games. They can also abandon the redshirt at any time simply by playing in a game.

A transfer (who must sit out a year, of course) is simply a special case of redshirting, much like a medical redshirt is a special variation in which you can actually play in a certain number of games before your injury/illness.
Illini70math is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:25 PM   #9
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyIllini View Post
I heard his mom is a great cook. Just keep him away from Southern Soul food. I know, when I came back to live with the parents while going to school, I ballooned in weight. My mom is from the south and they sure know how to cook......lots of lard, lol.
I had a buddy that was transferred down south a few years ago. We went down to visit them and I had my first and only deep fried Twinkies and Oreos.
gibb52 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:28 PM   #10
OrangeAndBlue217
Is not Ray Rice from Champaign? He doesnt have to go real far for some home cookin?
OrangeAndBlue217 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:31 PM   #11
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
Is not Ray Rice from Champaign? He doesnt have to go real far for some home cookin?
I believe you are right. Could go home almost every day, huh?
gibb52 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:56 PM   #12
HeartofaChampion
Hopefully he can lose about 15 more pounds. Would help his quickness to be around 220 next season. I think he's going to do very well for us the next 2 years. He, TA and JB will form a solid perimeter with KN, MaH and DL. The way JG's staff seems to help guys improve their outside shot, he should be capable from range, too.
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:05 PM   #13
Botb9
Realist
This team is going to look so different when this senior class leaves.

Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:51 PM   #14
PeoriaChief
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
This team is going to look so different when this senior class leaves.
And IMO not in a good way. I'm terrified of losing Brandon and DJ. Tyler is now in that same boat now that I'm seeing his productivity under this new staff. Ahead of myself and off topic but I think we're worse and less talented next year.
PeoriaChief is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:01 PM   #15
cjcastan
How much weight would be too much for RR to lose?

I'm just wondering if he would start to lose some strength and not be able to keep defenders on his hip / shoulder like I've seen him do.

After seeing the development in DJ / JB / TA / and BP. I think RR will be able to improve his perimeter jumper over a year's time.

Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:06 PM   #16
bootsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaChief View Post
And IMO not in a good way. I'm terrified of losing Brandon and DJ. Tyler is now in that same boat now that I'm seeing his productivity under this new staff. Ahead of myself and off topic but I think we're worse and less talented next year.
Terrified? Give me a break. This team will be fine without those players just like these current players have adjusted well without Meyers. The thing about coaches like Groce is that he keeps the players he has consistent with his system. The players next year will continue that.
bootsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:55 PM   #17
alexander58
Quote:
I'm confident coach will get the new guys ready and the veterans will be much improved.
alexander58 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:06 PM   #18
zpfled
Quote:
Replacing DJ and Brandon with Rayvonte and Joetales, bringing Kendrick and Malcolm off the bench...

...terrifying for opponents, maybe.

Plus Tracy is a year better. So is Myke Henry.
zpfled is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:52 PM   #19
liquidwisdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpfled View Post
Replacing DJ and Brandon with Rayvonte and Joetales, bringing Kendrick and Malcolm off the bench...

...terrifying for opponents, maybe.

Plus Tracy is a year better. So is Myke Henry.
Yeah, it's always the same when you lose senior starters. Chester Frazier was vilified as the personification of Weber's recruiting ineptitude, then he becomes a senior leader and people wonder how we'll ever replace his presence. Great programs are always rebuilding or 'reloading', and senior-lead teams always lead to trepidation with their departure. Same with one-and-dones or lottery picks like Leonard; let's hope we get used to it.
liquidwisdom is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:40 AM   #20
Illini B-Ball Fan
Really looking forward to see RR play next year.
Illini B-Ball Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:39 AM   #21
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
How much weight would be too much for RR to lose?

I'm just wondering if he would start to lose some strength and not be able to keep defenders on his hip / shoulder like I've seen him do.

After seeing the development in DJ / JB / TA / and BP. I think RR will be able to improve his perimeter jumper over a year's time.
I can almost guarantee that they aren't trimming muscle off of RR.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:42 AM   #22
spin13
Rice is going to be really good in this system. I don't understand why people aren't more excited.
spin13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:01 AM   #23
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by spin13 View Post
Rice is going to be really good in this system. I don't understand why people aren't more excited.
It's not that people aren't excited, he just isn't playing this year and we're off to a better start than I think all of us expected so we're a bit preoccupied.

He'll be talked about a ton as we move into next year.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:16 AM   #24
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by spin13 View Post
Because he is a "mid major Weber type of player".

Because he is an "undersized PF"

I will admit he did struggle shooting the ball from 3, and he probably shot way too many last year. But his FG % from 2 was over 50% iirc when I last looked at it. He shot 24% from 3 which hurt though.

If we have seen anything, Groce and his assistants will push guys to become better shooters. I see no reason Rice will not improve on that 3 point %, even if he can get into the low 30s.

He is a tough, hard nosed defender who gets a lot of steals and is a plus rebounder for his size/position. He finds ways to score, even if it is not always pretty.

He has proven himself at the college level, and has played some of his best ball when Drake would face high major BCS programs.

Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:19 AM   #25
job71188
Klee consistently said over summer that Rice was the best player in practice (although he was saying it while Brandon Paul was injured). At the Smoker this year, Groce said Rice has been the best player in practice.

This kid will be a stud next year if he can continue to work hard on his game this off year. That will be the key to him.
job71188 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »