Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

Illinois vs your alma mater, who do you root for?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:52 PM   #1
jackman404
Banned
Posts: 2,093
As I've said a few times on here, I am currently enlisted in the Navy. About a month ago I found out I was selected for the enlisted to officer program STA-21, which is going to send me to an approved NROTC university to obtain a degree and get my commissioning. Well, I found out last night that I am likely headed to Wisconsin for the next three years. I have always been a die-hard Illinois fan, having grown up in Bloomington/Normal and had both parents go to Illinois. However, it's pretty hard to root againt a school that's giving me an incredible opportunity in my life. Until the two teams meet for the first time I am at Wisconsin, I'm not sure who I will root for.

Did anyone else have any "Loyalty" conflicts when they went off to college? For the non-Illinois alums, if your alma mater played Illinois, who would you root for? I will always root for Illinois when they play everyone else, but I'm up in the air when they play Wisconsin.
jackman404 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:35 PM   #2
stevo99
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackman404 View Post
As I've said a few times on here, I am currently enlisted in the Navy. About a month ago I found out I was selected for the enlisted to officer program STA-21, which is going to send me to an approved NROTC university to obtain a degree and get my commissioning. Well, I found out last night that I am likely headed to Wisconsin for the next three years. I have always been a die-hard Illinois fan, having grown up in Bloomington/Normal and had both parents go to Illinois. However, it's pretty hard to root againt a school that's giving me an incredible opportunity in my life. Until the two teams meet for the first time I am at Wisconsin, I'm not sure who I will root for.

Did anyone else have any "Loyalty" conflicts when they went off to college? For the non-Illinois alums, if your alma mater played Illinois, who would you root for? I will always root for Illinois when they play everyone else, but I'm up in the air when they play Wisconsin.

Luckily, I went to so I don't have that problem.

I'm sure I'd cheer for my alma mater if I had that dilemma, though.
stevo99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Shief
Location: Springfield Area
Posts: 766
Be like some of my friends going to grad school at Wisconsin and Purdue, cheer for them until they play Illinois then wear orange in the middle of the student's section. Then when they try to remove you, show them your school ID and ticket so they leave you alone.
Shief is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:17 PM   #4
orangeroses07
orangeroses07's Avatar
Location: Centralia, IL
Posts: 372
I am a student at SIU-Carbondale right now, but I have been an Illinois fan my entire life, as a very good amount of my family members attended the University of Illinois. I have not had the conflict yet, but next fall, SIU plays in Champaign on the gridiron. For the first time in my life I will be rooting against the Illini for the first time in my life. Not necessarily that they lose, but that they don't completely dominate. That's my advice to you, cheer for a good game.

__________________
ILLINICARDINALSBLUESBULLSTITANSSALUKIS
orangeroses07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:44 PM   #5
illinifan4249
illinifan4249's Avatar
Posts: 298
As a student at Illinois from Wisconsin I root for the Badgers every saturday except when they play the Illini and for that week I hate Bucky's guts. I do also cheer against them in the rosebowl but thats mostly out of jealousy. On the other hand my brother goes to Minnesota and he has a deep hatred of Wisconsin but they also have a big rivalry so thats a little more understandable. Growing up I never much hated Illinois was more apathetic towards them as a team.
illinifan4249 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:15 AM   #6
U of I 89-05-10
Location: Iowa City, Ia.
Posts: 1,313
No one in my family went to Illinois. Mom went to NIU, ISU and Iowa and dad went to NIU and Bradley. Sister is headed to Butler next year to play soccer and I currently go to Iowa. There is not a team on the face of this Earth that I'd root for over the Orange and Blue ... no questions asked. I get cheering for your school, but just randomly starting to cheer for a team (in my case Iowa) over the team you grew up loving (in my case Illinois) just because that's where you take your classes is just ... unthinkable.

I'm a native Illinoisan, and I've grown up as an Illini fan. I think all Illinoisans should feel the same. You can bet your as* there are Ohioans and Iowans who go out of state for college (or to an instate school that isn't OSU or Iowa) and continue rooting for the teams they grew up loving. We need the same thing to be happening here at Illinois. I have a friend from the suburbs who grew up an Illini fan and cheers for them except when they play Iowa ... look, I get the logic, but at the same time I just can't understand that. I can be very proud of my University of Iowa Tippie College of Business degree and still never root for the Hawkeyes to win a game... I-L-L!
U of I 89-05-10 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:53 AM   #7
Shenanigans
Shenanigans's Avatar
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 261
My Alma Mater is the USAF. I always root for Illinois and Air Force but im not really sure what I would do if Illinois had to play Air Force. Probably just watch with zero emotion.

__________________
Illini Bears Cubs Bulls Blackhawks
Shenanigans is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:54 AM   #8
illiniracers
illiniracers's Avatar
Location: Rock Island
Posts: 234
I would have to say I would root for Murray State if it came down to it. The first time that I have had to deal with it was my senior year when I decided I was going to Murray and they played Illinois in the tourney. At the time I was going for Illinois but now that I am an alum its all about Murray State if they played Illinois as tough as it would be growing up an Illini fan.
illiniracers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:58 AM   #9
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
BananaShampoo's Avatar
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 9,089
I went to Illinois so no problem there. I did my grad school at Arizona State, though, so when we played them in football earlier this fall of course I was wearing my orange loud and proud. Okay, maybe not quite as proud about 1/4 of the way through that game... Still, if I went to another school for my undergrad I'm sure I'd be rooting for them, even if they were playing against Illinois.

__________________
C-U/UIUC Historian and Lover of all Things Illini
BananaShampoo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:36 AM   #10
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Location: Johns Creek, GA
Posts: 2,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaShampoo View Post
I went to Illinois so no problem there. I did my grad school at Arizona State, though, so when we played them in football earlier this fall of course I was wearing my orange loud and proud. Okay, maybe not quite as proud about 1/4 of the way through that game... Still, if I went to another school for my undergrad I'm sure I'd be rooting for them, even if they were playing against Illinois.
I'm currently doing a distance masters at ASU. Since I've never set foot on the campus, I had no loyalty issues whatsoever when we played them.

Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:37 AM   #11
pizzaman
pizzaman's Avatar
Location: Northwoods of Wisconsin
Posts: 2,876
I have a good friend who graduated from UI with me way back in the early 70's then ended up with a masters at Wisconsin. He eventually got married and now lives in Madison. A couple years ago he confessed that he is mostly a badger fan but pulls for the Illini when they are not playing the Badgers. I had to beat him senseless. There was just no other choice.
pizzaman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:19 PM   #12
ChiSoxIllini82
ChiSoxIllini82's Avatar
Location: Chicago
Posts: 822
I am a graduate of EIU. I went to the football game a couple years ago between the 2 and had an EIU shirt underneath my orange. EIU tied the game early on at 7 and I very silently clapped. My wife and inlaws are u of I grads but i was rooting for Illinois before i met her. Date #2 was watching an Illinois game together (Big ten tourny game I beleive).

__________________
ChiSoxIllini82 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:32 PM   #13
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 8,087
Root for your school/alma mater.

Honestly something that really annoys me are people who root for schools other than their alma mater, especially when at that same level.

__________________
www.afsp.org

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:53 PM   #14
Serious Late
Serious Late's Avatar
Location: Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
Root for your school/alma mater.

Honestly something that really annoys me are people who root for schools other than their alma mater, especially when at that same level.
I agree. I grew up a diehard Notre Dame fan. Once I went to Illinois though, my interest in the Domers steadily declined while my loyalties to Illinois took deep root. I am getting my Master's now, and while I can appreciate the teams at schools like UNM (Master's), ND (childhood team) and EIU (initial college school), they will never compete with my love for the school that gave me my undergrad degree, Illinois.

__________________
One word... Consistency.
Serious Late is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:41 PM   #15
ijustkrushalot
Location: Iowa Corridor
Posts: 890
I strongly considered UW-Madison for grad school (free tuition + better odds at getting a stipend, which i got, made me stay home, and I'm glad I did)

i figured if that had been the case I would have:

- Adopted the hockey team as a full time fan, since they do not compete against illinois and I like hockey
- attended random football/basketball games as a casual fan... but would not consider them my favorite team under any circumstance and would cheer for Illinois when they came to town.

__________________

Illinoisan Out Wandering Around
ijustkrushalot is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:54 PM   #16
-josh-
Calm, Collected, German.
-josh-'s Avatar
Location: The paign born and raised
Posts: 5,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by U of I 89-05-10 View Post
No one in my family went to Illinois. Mom went to NIU, ISU and Iowa and dad went to NIU and Bradley. Sister is headed to Butler next year to play soccer and I currently go to Iowa. There is not a team on the face of this Earth that I'd root for over the Orange and Blue ... no questions asked. I get cheering for your school, but just randomly starting to cheer for a team (in my case Iowa) over the team you grew up loving (in my case Illinois) just because that's where you take your classes is just ... unthinkable.

I'm a native Illinoisan, and I've grown up as an Illini fan. I think all Illinoisans should feel the same. You can bet your as* there are Ohioans and Iowans who go out of state for college (or to an instate school that isn't OSU or Iowa) and continue rooting for the teams they grew up loving. We need the same thing to be happening here at Illinois. I have a friend from the suburbs who grew up an Illini fan and cheers for them except when they play Iowa ... look, I get the logic, but at the same time I just can't understand that. I can be very proud of my University of Iowa Tippie College of Business degree and still never root for the Hawkeyes to win a game... I-L-L!


You're in the heart of enemy territory my friend, stay vigilant and keep your head on a swivel out there!

__________________
http://youtu.be/i37uttMA6Mc?t=31s
Looks like it's the University of Illinois!
-josh- is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:45 PM   #17
ChiCityHoops34
ChiCityHoops34's Avatar
Location: DeKalb IL
Posts: 1,123
Went to Loyola and played a sport there but luckily for me the basketball team hasn't been competitive enough for me to be torn between who I would rather see win. Went to the Loyola Illinois game last year had a Loyola shirt on with an Illinois hat on. I have a connection with griffey so I'll always root for him. Grew up a die hard Illinois fan (parents went there) and I always will be. Loyola doesnt have a football team so that makes that part easy.
ChiCityHoops34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:32 PM   #18
chief4life
Chief Supporter
chief4life's Avatar
Location: Michigan
Posts: 118
Once an Illini fan, always an Illini fan. I grew up an Illini fan despite no one in my family going there. I was accepted to Illinois, but they didn't have the program I wanted, so I ended up at Central Michigan. I had never even heard of Central Michigan until my junior year of high school, but spent 7 years there (4 undergrad & 3 grad), was the president of my fraternity, met my wife there, and return there every year for homecoming (I have Illini season tickets despite living in Michigan), but I would never think twice about who to root for if they were against the Illini. I root for Central if they are playing anyone but the Illini, but if they play the Illini, I hope they lose and lose badly, not because I dislike them, but because I want the Illini to look good and be dominant. My loyalties are not for sale and don't change. Just because you were the best place for me to take a step in my life doesn't change the loyalties I built and maintain for years.

Long live the Chief.

__________________
Long Live the Chief
chief4life is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:44 PM   #19
rtbritt
Posts: 443
I went to Illinois State University for college. I absolutely couldn't care less about ISU's sports teams. They aren't on the same level as Illinois. I absolutely cheer for Illinois over ISU. I went to ISU for my education. I grew up an Illini fan. Life as an Illini fan EASILY trumps my 3 years at ISU.
rtbritt is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:58 PM   #20
U of I 89-05-10
Location: Iowa City, Ia.
Posts: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
Root for your school/alma mater.

Honestly something that really annoys me are people who root for schools other than their alma mater, especially when at that same level.
Sorry I'm an Illini fan. It's snobby attitudes like this that cause some kids growing up to not be Illini fans from birth ... UI is our state school, it's not a private institution. We're not a fan base that's limited to mostly alumni, and big time athletic departments never are, so that's a good thing.
U of I 89-05-10 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:01 PM   #21
stlrunner
jakeyjakey
stlrunner's Avatar
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenanigans View Post
My Alma Mater is the USAF. I always root for Illinois and Air Force but im not really sure what I would do if Illinois had to play Air Force. Probably just watch with zero emotion.
So were you not in the Air Force when Illinois beat them in the first round of the tourney during the 2005-2006 season?

One of my best friends married a 4 year guard who played for Air Force. He was a freshman off the bench that year, but I've seen a picture he has of him *trying* to guard Dee in that game.
stlrunner is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:05 PM   #22
stlrunner
jakeyjakey
stlrunner's Avatar
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 362
Root for whoever you want, for whatever reasons you want, in my opinion. I'm always fascinated by the reasons people follow certain teams, and there are a number of reasons to like any team. Even if any of us dislike someone's reason to root for a team, it doesnt matter. They can still root for whoever they want.

In the end, watching your alma mater play your favorite team will answer the question for you. The emotion will make it clear, I would think.
stlrunner is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:29 AM   #23
Shenanigans
Shenanigans's Avatar
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrunner View Post
So were you not in the Air Force when Illinois beat them in the first round of the tourney during the 2005-2006 season?

One of my best friends married a 4 year guard who played for Air Force. He was a freshman off the bench that year, but I've seen a picture he has of him *trying* to guard Dee in that game.

That was my second year, and I was on a two week deployment during that game. I didn't have to watch it but I have to admit I was rooting for Illinois because of the "bigger picture," knowing Air Force had no chance at moving on. I was happy they made the tournament and Air Force did make a game of it.

__________________
Illini Bears Cubs Bulls Blackhawks

Last edited by Shenanigans; Dec 4, 2012 at 12:33 AM.
Shenanigans is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:31 AM   #24
Shenanigans
Shenanigans's Avatar
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 261
I believe we went on to play Washington that year and Brandon Roy was their PG.

__________________
Illini Bears Cubs Bulls Blackhawks
Shenanigans is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:52 AM   #25
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 8,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by U of I 89-05-10 View Post
Sorry I'm an Illini fan. It's snobby attitudes like this that cause some kids growing up to not be Illini fans from birth ... UI is our state school, it's not a private institution. We're not a fan base that's limited to mostly alumni, and big time athletic departments never are, so that's a good thing.
You should root for Iowa, you go there and probably will graduate from there.

__________________
www.afsp.org

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | General Sports Chat | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump