Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

2012-13 BCS & Bowls Schedule

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:55 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 30,481
BCS Selection show, tonight 7:30pm CT, ESPN.


So far, this is what we know-

BCS National Championship (Miami) - Mon, Jan 7th
Notre Dame vs Alabama

Rose Bowl - Tue, Jan 1st
Stanford vs Wisconsin


Not set in stone but it's possible the matchup could happen in Orlando-

Capital One - Tue, Jan 1st
Texas A&M vs Northwestern


Most of the 30+ bowl matchups should be set by tonight.
Dan is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 07:45 AM   #2
GilThorpe
GilThorpe's Avatar
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 1,651
NU will score, but A&M will score tons more.

look for
aTm 48
NU 21
GilThorpe is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:22 AM   #3
trevdv
trevdv's Avatar
Location: Champaign
Posts: 3,247
Florida State will play in the Orange Bowl, we know that too. Very likely they play Louisville, but it's not set in stone by any means.
trevdv is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:22 AM   #4
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
BCS Selection show, tonight 7:30pm CT, ESPN.


So far, this is what we know-

BCS National Championship (Miami) - Mon, Jan 7th
Notre Dame vs Alabama

Rose Bowl - Tue, Jan 1st
Stanford vs Wisconsin


Not set in stone but it's possible the matchup could happen in Orlando-

Capital One - Tue, Jan 1st
Texas A&M vs Northwestern


Most of the 30+ bowl matchups should be set by tonight.
NW would get absolutely pasted in that game and I would love every minute of it.
AHSIllini32 is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:24 AM   #5
quhawks12
Location: Hamilton County, IN
Posts: 4,436
NIU will the worst SOS ever for a BCS team if they get in. (Tied with the Hawaii team that made it)
quhawks12 is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:40 AM   #6
DrewD007
DrewD007's Avatar
Location: Swansea, IL
Posts: 4,514
NW is getting pasted in any Florida bowl they go to.
DrewD007 is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Groundhogday
Groundhogday's Avatar
Posts: 24,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
NIU will the worst SOS ever for a BCS team if they get in. (Tied with the Hawaii team that made it)
No kidding. NIU split their two BCS conference games with Iowa and Kansas. Congrats to the Huskies but they would get completely pasted in a BCS bowl game.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feiplus

__________________
ONLY ORANGE!
Groundhogday is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 30,481
Quote:
Potential shakeup with Cap One selections. Both Georgia and Nebraska very much in play, according to a source

http://twitter.com/ESPN_BigTen
Quote:
Probably not a good sign for BCS busters RT @DanWolken: Boise 15, Northern Illinois 16 in final USA Today Coaches Poll: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/polls/

http://twitter.com/ralphDrussoAP
Dan is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Shief
Location: Springfield Area
Posts: 766
I'll throw my hat in the ring on this one, I would like to see NIU in the Orange/Sugar/... I work with a few Huskies and I would be willing to send a few cheers their way this season.

Nebraska and Georgia would make a great match up, I would love to watch that game.
Shief is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:44 PM   #10
DanvIllini
Super Lurker
Location: Danville, IL
Posts: 484
Twitter: Nebraska vs Georgia in Gator Bowl. Is this legit?
DanvIllini is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:45 PM   #11
DrewD007
DrewD007's Avatar
Location: Swansea, IL
Posts: 4,514
Quote:
The Nebraska Cornhuskers will make a return appearance in the Capital One Bowl in 2013: http://ow.ly/fKQuw

@CapitalOneBowl
Twitter chatter has Michigan to the Outback Bowl and Northwestern to the Gator.
DrewD007 is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:49 PM   #12
DanvIllini
Super Lurker
Location: Danville, IL
Posts: 484
Guess so. NW fans prolly pi$$ed
DanvIllini is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:50 PM   #13
SCillini
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
NW would get absolutely pasted in that game and I would love every minute of it.
Would that help erase the 50-14 pasting that NW put on us?
SCillini is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:52 PM   #14
DrewD007
DrewD007's Avatar
Location: Swansea, IL
Posts: 4,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanvIllini View Post
Guess so. NW fans prolly pi$$ed
All 30 of them.
DrewD007 is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 02:20 PM   #15
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 30,481
Nebraska vs Georgia in the Cap One

Northwestern to the Gator Bowl.

Probably Texas A&M vs Clemson in the Chick-fil-A

Neat!

Quote:
Source: Big Ten applied pressure to Cap One, did not want NEB to fall below it on bowl chain.

B1G and Cap 1 officials will surely deny this, point to NEB's head-to-head win over Cats. But my bowl source says there is no doubt.

Source confirms: #Northwestern to the Gator Bowl. Opponent TBA.

Surprising part is that B1G was fine w/letting Sparty fall from Cap 1 last year. Wonder if MSU folk complained.

B1G officials silent so far re: whether they influenced Cap 1. Last time they were this quiet, RUT and MD were 36 hrs from joining league.

http://twitter.com/TeddyGreenstein
Quote:
Source tells me it's 'very likely' Aggies to Chick-fil-A vs Clemson but nothing official.

http://twitter.com/billyliucci
Quote:
Hearing the Big Ten, SEC leadership didn't want Nebraska and Georgia to fall too far after league title game losses.

http://twitter.com/ESPN_BigTen
Dan is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 02:36 PM   #16
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCillini View Post
Would that help erase the 50-14 pasting that NW put on us?
Why does that matter? I don't care if NW beats us by 100 or we beat them by 100 I want them to lose and do so badly when they play just about anybody.
AHSIllini32 is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 02:43 PM   #17
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 30,481
Quote:
Vandy's james franklin ranked Notre Dame #4 behind 3 SEC schools.

http://twitter.com/BFeldmanCBS
Quote:
Todd Graham ranked his own 7-5 Sun Devils #20 on his final ballot.

http://twitter.com/Mengus22
Quote:
It appears Bret Bielema got OU and Ok. State confused on his Coaches Poll ballot. Had OSU No. 11 and OU unranked: http://usat.ly/VdYxAj

http://twitter.com/dailythunder
Quote:
We apologize to @BretBielema + @BadgerFootball for listing Oklahoma St. instead of Oklahoma on your ballot for our database. Fixing now.

http://twitter.com/USATODAYsports
Dan is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:06 PM   #18
Sure Shot
Banned
Posts: 1,912
Quote:
Source: Big Ten applied pressure to Cap One, did not want NEB to fall below it on bowl chain.

B1G and Cap 1 officials will surely deny this, point to NEB's head-to-head win over Cats. But my bowl source says there is no doubt.

Source confirms: #Northwestern to the Gator Bowl. Opponent TBA.

Surprising part is that B1G was fine w/letting Sparty fall from Cap 1 last year. Wonder if MSU folk complained.

B1G officials silent so far re: whether they influenced Cap 1. Last time they were this quiet, RUT and MD were 36 hrs from joining league.

http://twitter.com/TeddyGreenstein

I'm confused, someone explain this to me.
Sure Shot is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:44 PM   #19
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 30,481
Boom!

Quote:
BREAKING: Northern Illinois vs Florida State is official in the Orange Bowl, according to a source.

http://twitter.com/SIPeteThamel
Dan is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 04:03 PM   #20
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 30,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot View Post
I'm confused, someone explain this to me.
Here goes. I think this is correct.

After the BCS takes their teams, the Capital One Bowl gets the 1st pick from the B1G and the 1st pick from the SEC to set their matchup.

Bowls can select teams based upon their total win total plus-or-minus 1 win.

So in the Big Ten, Wisconsin (8-5) to the Rose Bowl, Ohio State (12-0) is ineligible, Penn State (8-4) is ineligible. The leaves either Nebraska (10-3) or Northwestern (9-3) as the B1G rep in the Cap One.

In the SEC, Bama & LSU to the BCS, so the Capital One Bowl can select either Georgia (11-2), Florida (11-1), S. Car (10-2) or TAMU (10-2).

Rumor was the Capital One Bowl wanted Texas A&M vs Northwestern. Texas A&M, because they are awesome. Northwestern because, their only B1G choice was awful Nebraska & the Cats. Lesser of the two evils. The bowl had Neb last year, they didn't want them again especially after the title game dud, and with TAMU coming to town no worries about tickets or TV.

However, for some reason, both the B1G & the SEC stepped in and strong-armed the Cap One to take their respective title game losers. The conferences didn't want it to be a negative bowl-wise to win their divisions but lose the title game.

Last season, the B1G did the opposite & allowed the Cap One to take Nebraska, instead of division-winner MSU. So this is two years in a row that the B1G has stepped in and helped out stupid Nebraska.
Dan is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 05:03 PM   #21
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 30,481
Quote:
Boise State: 3 straight Vegas Bowls. Wisconsin: 3 straight Rose Bowls. Pitt: 3 straight BBVA Compass Bowls. #TheBowlSystemFolks #AintItGrand

http://twitter.com/MattZemek_CFN
Dan is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 05:11 PM   #22
illinoisportsfan
Posts: 639
NIU is going to the Orange Bowl!

Playing Florida State.

It's nice to see another Illinois school having success at football.
illinoisportsfan is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 05:32 PM   #23
Groundhogday
Groundhogday's Avatar
Posts: 24,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisportsfan View Post
Playing Florida State.

It's nice to see another Illinois school having success at football.
Florida State is going to obliterate NIU. This isn't Boise State, this is a MAC team that split its only games against BCS-conference schools: Iowa (4-8) and Kansas (1-11). Both were close games.

__________________
ONLY ORANGE!
Groundhogday is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 05:58 PM   #24
illinoisportsfan
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Florida State is going to obliterate NIU. This isn't Boise State, this is a MAC team that split its only games against BCS-conference schools: Iowa (4-8) and Kansas (1-11). Both were close games.
I don't expect NIU to win, but this is an under-performing FSU team they're playing. They barely beat a 6-6 Georgia Tech team to win their conference.
illinoisportsfan is offline
Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:04 PM   #25
ILL_INI
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisportsfan View Post
I don't expect NIU to win, but this is an under-performing FSU team they're playing. They barely beat a 6-6 Georgia Tech team to win their conference.
The championship game was an exception. Florida State waxed almost all of their opponents and NIU won't have their head coach.

__________________
Who has the #1 font? 1 1_ 1_ 1 1\I O 1 S
ILL_INI is offline
Closed Thread


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump