Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Louisiana Tech (9-3) won't play in a bowl game

Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Louisiana Tech won't play in bowl despite 9-3 record; Karl Malone rips school

"Just talked to Colby a few minutes ago," offensive coordinator Tony Franklin told Yahoo! Sports. "They're devastated. They don't understand it. Every emotion you can have from sad to angry. How? Why? They don't get it. I don't know what to tell them."

Franklin has spent the last several days recruiting all over California. But he spent a large part of Sunday afternoon pacing outside a hotel, trying to figure out how this could happen to a team that was ranked in the top 25 this season for the first time in program history.

Franklin expected the Bulldogs to go to either the Liberty Bowl or the Heart of Dallas Bowl, and he called assistant head coach Rob Likens to ask which one.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...033353941.html
Quote:
Why Louisiana Tech is staying home despite a 9-3 record

"We had played there in 2008, and the sponsor is a graduate of Louisiana Tech, so I thought they would wait for us," Van De Velde said. "We all agreed we wanted to wait, so we said to them, 'We don't want to turn it down, but we need time to see how this plays out.' "

Waiting cost Louisiana Tech its spot. "They chose to go in another direction," Van De Velde said, rather than wait to see if the Bulldogs chose to play its bowl game in Shreveport.

"We never declined" the bid, Van De Velde said. "We just asked for more time. They felt like they had to move, and I understand. But we felt like we needed time to see how this played out."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...velde/1741769/
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:42 AM   #2
HsvIllini
That's gotta be great for recruiting. Very unfair to the players.
HsvIllini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:15 AM   #3
Groundhogday
Wow. This really, really sucks for Louisiana Tech.

Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:29 AM   #4
quhawks12
Sounds to me like it's their own fault (not the players). 1st rule of college...when you have one locked down...never hold out until later in the night for something better.
quhawks12 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:43 AM   #5
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
Sounds to me like it's their own fault (not the players). 1st rule of college...when you have one locked down...never hold out until later in the night for something better.
Yep, because it works both ways. If you take a bowl bid because you can't wait on a "better" bowl, then next time that "better" bowl should move faster to lock YOU into a bid.
IlliniJim20 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:45 AM   #6
anonymousalcoholic
Banned
a.d. needs to be fired. how could he let this happen to his fb team? (of course, in this world, he'll probably get a gig at a bigger school. . .)

pretty amazing. i feel bad for the la tech players.
anonymousalcoholic is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:50 AM   #7
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
Exactly - it's unfair to penalize the players by not going to a bowl just because you think you can hold out for something better.
HsvIllini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:50 AM   #8
ILL_INI
My heart goes out to the players and coaches. Sounds like a really unfortunate series of events. I even feel sorry for the AD. I'm sure he feels terrible. With the WAC not having football next year, they were probably unable to offer any help in getting them into a bowl game. Shouldn't affect recruiting too much because they will be in Conference USA next year, which has 5 bowl tie-ins vs. 1 for the WAC.

Who has the #1 font? 1 1_ 1_ 1 1\I O 1 S
ILL_INI is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:09 AM   #9
Redfoxdogs
This is really sad. Enjoyed watching them play (when I subtract my feelings about how we played against them).
Redfoxdogs is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:30 PM   #10
lexwaldez
Bird in the hand and such. Someone needs a good old fashioned firing.
lexwaldez is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »