Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Plans to hold 4 games at once in Cowboy Stadium?

Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Serious Late
Location: Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
This isn't necessary: Plans to hold 4 games at once at Cowboys Stadium

Quote:
The games will begin 15 minutes apart and be held side by side (by side by side) in the giant facility. The purpose is to simulate the madness that takes place during the first week of the NCAA tournament. Only instead of the games taking place in four different cities, they'll be played in one town, under one roof.
The author of the article REALLY isn't a big fan of the idea. I am not saying it is a good idea, but sometimes a bad idea can have fun consequences for the fan. It could be an entire mess of an event, but I bet I would still enjoy watching it unfold.

Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:43 PM   #2
-josh-
Calm, Collected, German.
It could be a good idea if executed properly but it wouldn't be executed properly.

Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:44 PM   #3
mattcoldagelli
On the face of it, I don't see what's wrong with it - it's essentially every kids bball tournament or summer camp writ large.

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:04 PM   #4
illinifan31
Orange Krush Cow
Oh gosh the whistles...
illinifan31 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Serious Late
Location: Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
On the face of it, I don't see what's wrong with it - it's essentially every kids bball tournament or summer camp writ large.
I think Josh hit the nail on the head. Executing it properly. Two games, side by side, could cause problems. That said, I like carnivals (actually, not really, but I like carnival type scenes). So I am definitely up for seeing them try it.

Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:06 PM   #6
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Hopefully condensation is not an issue in Dallas in November?
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:16 PM   #7
illiniCA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
I agree. Not that big of deal. Kids play in tournaments like this all the time and I am guessing the space between courts is larger is Dallas than YMCA gyms.
illiniCA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:18 PM   #8
DrewD007
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Hopefully condensation is not an issue in Dallas in November?
I think the roof closes all the way.
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:16 AM   #9
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
I think the roof closes all the way.
It does.

It reminds me of the state wresting tournament. I use to watch 6 matches all t the same time. It was fun. If someone from my school was on the mat I focused on that match. if I didn't know anyone then I would look around for the one with the most excitement.

Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Southernillini
I didn't both reading the article, but the only way I see this being a mess/disappointment is if they try to televise all four games on one broadcast. If I were the fan of one of these teams I wouldn't like getting pulled away to the other games.
Southernillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:04 PM   #11
Holdemall
Pretty dumb idea. Are they going to let people wander around and watch each game?
Holdemall is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:08 PM   #12
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdemall View Post
Pretty dumb idea. Are they going to let people wander around and watch each game?
I don't know about wandering around but I think the intent is to let the fans watch all the games. Most of it from the jumbotron tv over the center of the field/court.

Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:53 PM   #13
bhinda8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpr View Post
I don't know about wandering around but I think the intent is to let the fans watch all the games. Most of it from the jumbotron tv over the center of the field/court.
I haven't been to the stadium but I don't believe it has split screen capability.

When the last tree is cut, the last fish is caught, and the last river is polluted; when to breathe the air is sickening, you will realize, too late, that wealth is not in bank accounts and that you canít eat money.

bhinda8 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:26 PM   #14
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhinda8 View Post
I haven't been to the stadium but I don't believe it has split screen capability.
I have no idea either. After being in several other football and baseball stadiums I have seen them show different things on their video boards at the same time. It would only make sense that the Cowboys could too. If not someone could write a software program to split it in two or four.

That said there are 4 boards. 2 parallel the sidelines and 2 smaller ones facing the end zones. They probably could be set up to run independently of each other.

Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:50 PM   #15
jmwillini
Quote:
Not sure, but if it is split for tv and the sent to the screen it should work. I don't have PIP or a specific split screen capability, but the NCAA tourney often shows 4 games on the screen when shifting between games.

The one problem being the shape of the screen, (72' by 160'). I suppose it could be split 4 side by side as opposed to 2 on top and 2 on the bottom.

Last edited by jmwillini; Dec 7, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
jmwillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:00 PM   #16
trevdv
Two games, I might buy. But FOUR? I don't see this working very well. What about a PA announcer? Are fans of one game going to be hearing three other announcers calling out player's names? And what about other noises? What if there's an amazing alley-oop in one game, and fans of another hear all these raucous people going crazy from across the field? It just seems like there would be too many distractions to do this.
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:14 PM   #17
IlliniReb
Quote:
It can be split and is a beautiful picture. Worlds largest HD screen.
IlliniReb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:35 PM   #18
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniReb View Post
It can be split and is a beautiful picture. Worlds largest HD screen.
you're living in the past.
Quote:
Guinness World Records was on hand at the September 28, 2009 game against the Carolina Panthers to award certificates to the Chairman of Mitsubishi Electric and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones for the World's Largest High-Definition Video Display.[22] It has since been surpassed in size by the video board at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
wiki

Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:46 PM   #19
wpr
Quote:
Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis has decided to end his pursuit of having a major event to open the 2013-14 college basketball season.

The event would have involved Michigan State and seven other schools playing a Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, according to the Detroit Free Press. There would have been four games on four courts going on at once, with the games starting about 15 minutes apart, according to the report.
Quote:
Apparently the biggest issue was finding a television network willing to broadcast four games at similar times on different channels. And that proved to be the event’s ultimate undoing.

Hollis told the Free Press that the seven schools, who were undisclosed, were enthusiastic about participating in the event.
link

Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:02 AM   #20
SteakSandwich
I have come full circle on this. At first i thought it was one of the dumbest ideas i had heard but if i lived in Dallas and they let me wander around the stadium all day watching basketball in whatever seat i wanted then i could get behind it. ( Only if seating was first come first served, to give a AAU feel to it where u can go to each game as you please.)
SteakSandwich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:00 PM   #21
dansaint
So if one game was a blow out and another was close...would the close game get moved to "center court"? j/k

Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:05 PM   #22
trevdv
Quote:
ESPN, CBS and Turner networks were approached, but there were concerns about "diluting exposure and tying down four networks," Hollis said, at a time of year in which college basketball does not typically receive high ratings.

The logistics of the games themselves had been worked out, and Hollis said Dallas Cowboys executive vice president Charlotte Anderson -- daughter of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones -- was "phenomenal" in trying to make it all work.

Hollis also said the head coaches of the other seven, undisclosed schools were enthusiastic about the event. He said he even got calls from other high-profile coaches interested in it.
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...playing_fo.php

Reports indicate that "big name" teams were willing to do this (i.e. Kentucky, Michigan State, Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc.), but it seems like neither ESPN, CBS, nor TNT/TBS/TruTV were willing to broadcast the games. That seems unlikely to me, though. If major networks are up for games on boats, how could they not be up for games in a football stadium?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:01 PM   #23
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...playing_fo.php

Reports indicate that "big name" teams were willing to do this (i.e. Kentucky, Michigan State, Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc.), but it seems like neither ESPN, CBS, nor TNT/TBS/TruTV were willing to broadcast the games. That seems unlikely to me, though. If major networks are up for games on boats, how could they not be up for games in a football stadium?
Probably because it would be 4 games more or less at the same time. Too bad they couldn't get ESPN to take 2 and TBS/TNT another 2. Maybe they all were arguing who would get the "big game".

Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:03 PM   #24
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpr View Post
Maybe they all were arguing who would get the "big game".
And that game would most likely include Michigan State and another big-name team like Kansas or Duke, so you can't blame them for arguing over it.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:11 PM   #25
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
And that game would most likely include Michigan State and another big-name team like Kansas or Duke, so you can't blame them for arguing over it.
I know. Too bad all 4 games wouldn't be equally valuable. From the networks perspective. Then again maybe they would be but didn't want to tie up their resources.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »