Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Request: The video of 2005 team, crazy perimeter passing

Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:07 PM   #1
chimpanzee
Looking for the Youtube video of 2005 (?) UI basketball play (posted on this forum):

"relentless passing around the perimeter, finally culminating in a high-percentage shot & make"

pretty sure the game was at Assembly Hall..

Basketball Isn’t a Sport. It’s a Statistical Network
http://www.wired.com/playbook/2012/1...work-analysis/

Quote:
On the other hand, the Los Angeles Lakers — which won the 2010 NBA championship — distributed the ball more evenly than their rivals, embracing what Phil Jackson calls the “triangle offense,” a technique pioneered by Hall of Fame coach Sam Barry. The basic idea is simple: Maintain balanced court spacing so any player can pass to another at any point.

In their model, Fewell and Armbruster found a mathematical explanation for why the triangle offense works — the point guard was no longer the only player feeding passes to fellow players; his teammates were just as likely to take on that role. With more potential passers, there are more potential paths for the opposition to defend.

To quantify their results, published in the journal PLOS ONE, the researchers derived the entropy, or measure of system disorder, for each team during each game. In six of the eight first rounds, winners had higher team entropy, and therefore more randomness, than losers. Though the sample size of teams in the NBA playoffs may be small, the data suggest a possible relationship between quick, unpredictable ball movement and success in games.

“[It seems] entropy wins games,” Armbruster told Wired.

Last edited by chimpanzee; Dec 7, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
chimpanzee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:30 PM   #2
ChampaignLou
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpanzee View Post
Looking for the Youtube video of 2005 (?) UI basketball play (posted on this forum):

"relentless passing around the perimeter, finally culminating in a high-percentage shot & make"

pretty sure the game was at Assembly Hall..

Basketball Isn’t a Sport. It’s a Statistical Network
http://www.wired.com/playbook/2012/1...work-analysis/

Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJf3...endscreen&NR=1

Last edited by Dan; Dec 8, 2012 at 06:06 AM.
ChampaignLou is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:38 PM   #3
IlliniRon
Illini Basketball Fan Forever
That passing for 15 times is a beautiful thing, but it takes a rare group of guys to develop that level of patience on offense.

Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:52 AM   #4
WinOrElse
Here's one of my favorites, but it only involved one pass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOrzj0hlt4s
WinOrElse is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:03 AM   #5
MTILLINOIS
Joyful memories! I miss that team.
MTILLINOIS is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:10 AM   #6
mdonsbach
That shot was probably my first memory of Illini basketball!

Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:19 AM   #7
PeoriaSteve
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTILLINOIS View Post
Joyful memories! I miss that team.
Sawe my Red Sox sweep the Cards after the crazy comeback v. the Yanks in October of '04, went to the Wake Forrest game in Nov/Dec of '04, got married to my beautiful wife in Feb. of '05 in Belize, came back and got to see the two Regional final games in Chicago including the Arizona mind-blowing comeback, had our reception in Peoria on Friday night, then headed to the Final Four in St. Louis. Frankly, I was concerned I'd get hit by lightning it was so awesome. Obviously not the finish we wanted, but it was an incredible run for me. What a great team.
PeoriaSteve is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:06 PM   #8
MTMinded
Fatigued
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinOrElse View Post
Here's one of my favorites, but it only involved one pass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOrzj0hlt4s
The whole campus erupted after that shot...it was crazy.
MTMinded is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:47 PM   #9
U of I 89-05-10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaSteve View Post
Sawe my Red Sox sweep the Cards after the crazy comeback v. the Yanks in October of '04, went to the Wake Forrest game in Nov/Dec of '04, got married to my beautiful wife in Feb. of '05 in Belize, came back and got to see the two Regional final games in Chicago including the Arizona mind-blowing comeback, had our reception in Peoria on Friday night, then headed to the Final Four in St. Louis. Frankly, I was concerned I'd get hit by lightning it was so awesome. Obviously not the finish we wanted, but it was an incredible run for me. What a great team.
Wow, now that is a dream year!
U of I 89-05-10 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:22 PM   #10
MTILLINOIS
Quote:
Wow, you had a busy year back then. You, like many of us, Illinois basketball was part of our schedule. Go Illini!
MTILLINOIS is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:56 PM   #11
Leonardite
Here ya go!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTbE4eC-AIc

The music + the moment gives me chills every single time!!

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Leonardite is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:04 PM   #12
illinifan31
Orange Krush Cow
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMinded View Post
The whole campus erupted after that shot...it was crazy.
What was the significance of that game?
illinifan31 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:16 PM   #13
ILLINISTU
Quote:
That's a pretty darn good run. I'll bet there are many of us who remember where they were during that Arizona game that year. I drove through blowing snow to make it to the Oakland game during Thanksgiving break. My wife and my son and I sat on the floor and my son got his jersey signed by the team afterwards. Got to see the Chief with my son. I thought that was a great thing that the players stayed out til they had signed for everyone. We still have that jersey, Great memories.

Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:50 PM   #14
-josh-
Calm, Collected, German.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardite View Post
Here ya go!!!!

I can only watch this video twice a year. Self mandated because i never want to get tired of seeing that.

Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:58 PM   #15
OrangeKrush
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardite View Post
Here ya go!!!!

OrangeKrush is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:47 PM   #16
Bring The Paign
Banned
I'll never forget that regional final game. I was 18. I was at my girlfriend at the times parents house. They were having a big party/viewing of the Illini game in the back yard on a very large television. When we got down by 15, I turned to my girlfriend and said "I can't watch them lose like this, I'm going to my car." Little did I know I was about to miss the greatest comeback in tournament history. So there I was, sitting in my car sulking and thinking " How can it be over, we are 35-1, this was supposed to be the year." I had the radio on the game, but honestly wasn't paying all that much attention to it, because I was wrapped up in my own disbelief that our dream season was coming to an end. Then my room mate at the time called me while he was at work and said " DUDE, ARE YOU WATCHING THIS??" I hung up, I turned up the radio a few seconds before Dee stole the ball at half court to bring us within three. So there I am, just listening in silence, gripping the steering wheel as if I'm driving 150mph. Then I hear the call, and I have loved Brian Barnhart ever since. The play before the shot is kind of a blur, but when BB said "DERON TAKES THE THREE....HE GOT IT!!! I erupted, swung my right are up, popping my sunroof off of its track. I listened to the remainder of regulation, then jumped out of my car yelling "overtime, overtime, overtime!" until I got to the back yard where about 5 people yelled at me and said "go back to your car, we started doing better when you left!" So there I was once again... this time I was standing outside of my car, with the radio turned out loud, yelling at the radio and reacting to BB's call. When the buzzer sounded and you hear BB say "ILLINOIS GOING TO THE FINAL FOUR!" I started running up and down the driveway, jumping and screaming. My girlfriends parents would never condone underage drinking... but when I got back to the backyard he threw me a beer and yelled "It's time to celebrate!!"...ugh...the memories, what a great season that was...special memories. I found my old VHS tape that I recorded the commercial free encore on, a few weeks ago. Does anybody know of any place in town where I could get it put on to DVD?? haha.

Bring The Paign is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:05 PM   #17
jdccubbie7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring The Paign View Post
Does anybody know of any place in town where I could get it put on to DVD?? haha.

Here ya go!
http://fightingillini-dvd.cbscollege...duct_id=154646

Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:18 AM   #18
KingRich
I get chills watching that too. That was supposed to be our title.
KingRich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:32 AM   #19
zhawks
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRich View Post
I get chills watching that too. That was supposed to be our title.
Lets think happy thoughts!!

The basketball gods saved us from a UNC matchup in Maui where we all know we'd have to see highlights of that game over and over....

Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:13 PM   #20
Bring The Paign
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdccubbie7 View Post

Thank you, and oh boy did my Christmas Wish list just get quite a bit bigger... not only am I going to have to get that DVD but I'm also going to have to get the "Assembly Hall - Hardwood Heavens" the "Illini Century - 100 years of Illini Basketball" and the "A Season to Remember 2004-2005 Illini Basketball." I was told by my fiancee that my Christmas list was done...think again sweetheart.

Bring The Paign is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »