Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

If the boys take care of business until Braggin' Rights

Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:24 AM   #1
cjcastan
John Groce would be tied with Fletcher Lane for best start to an Illinois basketball coaching career and be alone with a win in Bragging Rights

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...year-1907.html

Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:28 AM   #2
zhawks
That would be nice. I hope the team takes it one game at a time and can make that happen!

Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:34 AM   #3
combes
We will play an undefeated Eastern Kentucky team next weekend. And Norfolk State on a short turnaround needs to be taken seriously.

Last edited by combes; Dec 9, 2012 at 06:37 AM.
combes is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:42 AM   #4
whitesxfan2012
Orange & Blue tweety bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
We will play an undefeated Eastern Kentucky team next weekend. And Norfolk State on a short turnaround needs to be taken seriously.
Just please don't lose the EKU game! I will never here the end of it from these Kentucky peeps.
whitesxfan2012 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Mark Seifert
Quote:
Just noticed that EKU is shooting .495 on the season -- 13th best in the country. Interesting.
Mark Seifert is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:08 AM   #6
freebird6
Quote:

THere is different levels of undefeated .....EKU has only once ventured out of the friendly confines and played everyone but the Blind school.

Neubauer is a Beilien protegee that lives and dies by the 3. THey will be in a 1 3 1 zone most of the game. Groce got clocked by them at their house when he was at OHIO on a snowy night with a long bus ride home for it to sink in. I suspect he took it personally and a little pay back may be on his mind.

http://www.ekusports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball&
freebird6 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:20 AM   #7
Illini87InClt
These games leading up to Mizzou are some games that should end up being wins. I hope that Groce and his staff will keep the team working hard and taking these games seriously after a big win in Spokane. The best way to make the NCAA Tournament is to start out the B1G section with few or no losses as they will need to gut out the B1G portion of the season; especially on the road.
Illini87InClt is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 09:23 AM   #8
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seifert View Post
Just noticed that EKU is shooting .495 on the season -- 13th best in the country. Interesting.
They've played a lot of bad teams. Still, you have to knock down those shots. They're making almost 35% of their 3s, which is pretty good as a team.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:39 AM   #9
WeatherfordForMVP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
John Groce would be tied with Fletcher Lane for best start to an Illinois basketball coaching career and be alone with a win in Bragging Rights

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...year-1907.html
During the broadcast last night one of the announcers said that 11 of Lane's first 12 wins were against the local YMCA team...I don't know if it was a sarcastic quip or not, but if it wasn't strictly true, I bet there's still some truth to it.:laugh:

Hard to believe what Groce et al have done through the first 10 games.
WeatherfordForMVP is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:47 AM   #10
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherfordForMVP View Post
During the broadcast last night one of the announcers said that 11 of Lane's first 12 wins were against the local YMCA team...I don't know if it was a sarcastic quip or not, but if it wasn't strictly true, I bet there's still some truth to it.:laugh:

Hard to believe what Groce et al have done through the first 10 games.
They were literally vs various YMCA and club teams. It as 100% true.
OrangeAndBlue217 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:54 AM   #11
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
They were literally vs various YMCA and club teams. It as 100% true.
10 were against YMCA's it's in the link.

One was Cairo AC whatever that is.

The loss came against a YMCA

YOUNG MEN!

Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:52 PM   #12
Bailey
Man, I cannot wait for the Braggin' Rights game. Mizzou's backcourt is much better than Gonzaga's, but I'm looking forward to every challenge we're set to face at this point. I guess this is what a change in culture feels like...
Bailey is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:56 PM   #13
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
Man, I cannot wait for the Braggin' Rights game. Mizzou's backcourt is much better than Gonzaga's, but I'm looking forward to every challenge we're set to face at this point. I guess this is what a change in culture feels like...
Thats going to be an awesome atmosphere, wish I could be at that one. I hope we full on blow them out!! Maybe just a 10 point lead or so at half, just to keep their fans in it. Then we bust it open in the 2nd.
OrangeAndBlue217 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:38 PM   #14
freebird6
Quote:

OUCH

for the basketball historians here that really hurts.

Love the game and the history and it will love you back.

When Mr Naismith brought the game out here there were a lot of places it was played ....universities were NOT the main place.

Cairo AC was and athletic club in Cairo IL

THe YMCA s had pretty good squads of seasoned vets back then.

I am not calling you out but want to pay homage to the guys who got this game off the ground and want to share that with you ......as Hal Linden used to say.....and now you know. Illinois basketball has a rich tradition and playing Y s and AC s was pretty stiff competition...
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:32 PM   #15
zoggle101
I think the Eastern Kentucky Colonels a have couple high major transfers.

Weird but I can named every teams mascot in college ball. #too much time. I need to work on which conference they're in, city, and stadium names though for many of the non Big 6 schools. #slowlybutsurely

Sorry about all the hash tags that aren't really tags. I don't do twitter and think theyre cool. I have to get my fix somehow.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:01 PM   #16
RockyMtnIllini81
Before we get too carried away with how easy the Eastern Ky schedule was, please note they played West Carolina (won by 2) and Norfolk State (won by 24). :rolleyes: They also beat Towson, a team that gave Georgetown all they could handle yesterday. The Illini will need to come out sharp - no easy task on short rest and after the emotional high from yesterday. I'm confident they can do it!
RockyMtnIllini81 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:33 PM   #17
Illini87InClt
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnIllini81 View Post
Before we get too carried away with how easy the Eastern Ky schedule was, please note they played West Carolina (won by 2) and Norfolk State (won by 24). :rolleyes: They also beat Towson, a team that gave Georgetown all they could handle yesterday. The Illini will need to come out sharp - no easy task on short rest and after the emotional high from yesterday. I'm confident they can do it!
I agree that EKU's schedule is irrelevant as far as Illinois is concerned. Groce still needs to come up with a good game plan and the team needs to execute sharply. If the team does this, then I am confident that they will defeat EKU handily.
Illini87InClt is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:36 PM   #18
OrangeKrush
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
I think the Eastern Kentucky Colonels a have couple high major transfers.
Mike DiNunno is a NIU transfer who went to high school in the Chicago suburbs (Lake Park in Roselle and then transferred to Von Steuben)
OrangeKrush is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:46 PM   #19
SCillini
If we're legit then there's no way we lose at home to EKU.
Mizzou will be the real measuring stick. Should be a battle of two great backcourts that both play uptempo. Can't wait for that game! A win in STL would quiet any remaining doubters.
SCillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:52 PM   #20
freddbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird6 View Post
Looks like we will have 2 common opponents by game time, so we should be able to reasonably determine the outcome of this contest.

Nice user name.
freddbird is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:03 PM   #21
freebird6
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddbird View Post

Nice user name.
GOt tagged with that one at the Brat Stop in Kenosha....I forget who we were up there watching. Mid 70's when the drinking age across the line was 18. No idea how we got home most nights to Irving Park and Ashland.

I agree with the sentiments on Neubauer's "Kernels" . I t will be a test as Groce preaches 3 PT defense and they shoot a lot of them. THe 1 3 1 gave Groce fits at OU. I am sure he will exploit the weakness with penetration and athleticism. ......Oh ........and 3 point shooting
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:09 PM   #22
Mark Seifert
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird6 View Post
OUCH

for the basketball historians here that really hurts.

Love the game and the history and it will love you back.

When Mr Naismith brought the game out here there were a lot of places it was played ....universities were NOT the main place.

Cairo AC was and athletic club in Cairo IL

THe YMCA s had pretty good squads of seasoned vets back then.

I am not calling you out but want to pay homage to the guys who got this game off the ground and want to share that with you ......as Hal Linden used to say.....and now you know. Illinois basketball has a rich tradition and playing Y s and AC s was pretty stiff competition...
Hey, that's interesting stuff.

Any recommended books or sites on basketball history?
Mark Seifert is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:47 PM   #23
Blue
Quote:

YOUNG MEN!

Chief?!?!
Blue is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:00 PM   #24
Trifecta23
I wonder who holds the record for beating the most undefeated teams... This could be number 5 for us if we beat EK.
Trifecta23 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:51 PM   #25
chief78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seifert View Post
Gonzaga was shooting 53% from the field prior to last night's game - #1 in the country. Just sayin.....

Illini need to show up the next two home games and put their foot on the opponents throat!
chief78 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »