Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Hoosiers overrated?

Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:39 AM   #1
chucktownillini
Was checking out IU's schedule & saw where they have ZERO road games in non-con. Zero! Sure they beat Tar Heels(who are only ranked cause they are UNC) & G'town(who are not very good this season IMO), but they have had a weak schedule other than that. Coming up they play Butler on Dec 15th & then nobody til Minny on Jan 12th I believe. Thirteen non-con games all at home against mainly nobody's. No wonder their stats look so awesome. We play them once, not til Feb 7th. Yeah, they have talent, but geez! No road games at all in non-con? Wow. Go Illini!!!!!
chucktownillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:36 AM   #2
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucktownillini View Post
Was checking out IU's schedule & saw where they have ZERO road games in non-con. Zero! Sure they beat Tar Heels(who are only ranked cause they are UNC) & G'town(who are not very good this season IMO), but they have had a weak schedule other than that. Coming up they play Butler on Dec 15th & then nobody til Minny on Jan 12th I believe. Thirteen non-con games all at home against mainly nobody's. No wonder their stats look so awesome. We play them once, not til Feb 7th. Yeah, they have talent, but geez! No road games at all in non-con? Wow. Go Illini!!!!!
Just watching them it is easy to see that they are an elite level team. It doesn't matter who they've played, they deserve both their ranking and the expectation that they are the single team in the B1G that is the favorite this year.

Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:39 AM   #3
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Just watching them it is easy to see that they are an elite level team. It doesn't matter who they've played, they deserve both their ranking and the expectation that they are the single team in the B1G that is the favorite this year.
I'll also add the same about Michigan. Michigan has week moments mentally, but the talent is fantastic. Syracuse is another team that just by watching, looks amazing. I would love to see Carter-Williams vs. Burke. The pure talent on those three teams seems overwhelming to me. I don't get the same impression watching Duke. They are a very good team, but the individual talent is greater at those other three places.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:43 AM   #4
spin13
Agree Dayton. They're really good.
spin13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:56 AM   #5
sparky791
Banned
IU is the real deal. I think most UI fans would love for them to be overrated. Fact is they are not.
sparky791 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:17 AM   #6
Boogua
Banned
IU should be top 5 no doubt, but I believe they're overrated at #1. Duke and Michigan have had much tougher schedules thus far and I believe should be ahead of them. Especially duke. IU hasn't played anybody except Georgetown (on a neutral court) and the game went the overtime.

Oh, and Georgetown scored 64 in regulation against IU. The same team that scored 64 against Texas, 37 against Tenn, and 46 against Towson. IU doesn't play very good defense (as was a major problem for them last year).

Last edited by Boogua; Dec 10, 2012 at 07:29 AM.
Boogua is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:46 AM   #7
IlliniSteve
It's always easy to say that the #1 team is overrated sometimes, but the Hoosiers are a legitimate national title contender.
IlliniSteve is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:58 AM   #8
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
I've watched parts of two of their games so far this season. Based on that reasonably small sample size, they are strong at every position and have depth at pretty much every position. They are well coached (as much as that pains me to say). They play with a stunning degree of confidence, and play as a team. If I were to make early predictions there is no way I would not have them winning the B1G and in the Final Four right now.
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:59 AM   #9
IlliniTilDeath
Indiana is playing at a final four level right now...not sure how that can be debated, regardless of who they have played.
IlliniTilDeath is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:03 AM   #10
fightingillini18
If the debate is who has the best resume so far, then yes Indiana could be seen as overrated. But if you actually watch that team it is easy to see that they are very deserving of the number 1 spot.
fightingillini18 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:04 AM   #11
Boogua
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniTilDeath View Post
Indiana is playing at a final four level right now...not sure how that can be debated, regardless of who they have played.
They've played one hard team and the game went to overtime. Georgetown isn't even that great of a team either. Can IU actually play somebody difficult before we can conclude they're a final four team.

Look, their style of play helps them absolutely slaughter cupcakes. It's very similar to UNC (look at what UNC does to bad opponents). We've seen them have to slow the game down ONCE this season (against GT) and they only scored 64 points in regulation, which is 25 below their season average, and they gave up 64 to Georgetown, which is two above GTs season average.

It can absolutely be debated.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:19 AM   #12
Calvin
It's been said there are many good teams this year, but no great teams. Tend to agree with that. I expect IU or Michigan to win the BT.
Calvin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:45 AM   #13
HoopBoss
It's always good to be just a little skeptical about ratings early in the year. But I try to avoid "ever" calling any team OVER-rated and I'll tell you why.

Calling any team overrated, is a two-edged sword that can cut you coming or going. While it may be fun, and get everyone worked up, it just doesn't make good sense.

#1. If you beat the team you're calling overrated, it simply means you aren't that good either.

#2. If you lose to the team you're calling overrated, you have to admit that not only that YOU must suck, but admit the team that just beat you must be for real, and NOT overrated.

So why get into the overrated _issing match in the first place? Just play the game, and you'll see the better team (that day) win. Go ILLINI ! ! !

HoopBoss is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:48 AM   #14
zpfled
Indiana and Duke are great teams this year.

If IU is overrated it's only by one spot...a case could be made for Duke to be #1. But I don't think they are.

We have a chance to beat Indiana this year since we get them only once, at our place, and we have such great guard play. It will take a good game from us and an off game from them, but I am hopeful about that game.
zpfled is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:52 AM   #15
WesterveltVictoryCigar
I thought IU was overrated last season, their offense was outstanding but their defense was pretty ordinary. This year their D is much improved. As others have said, there really aren't any "great" teams this season, IU is as deserving of #1 as any of the top 5-7, I guess. I also noticed their lack of true road games, their visit to C-U will be the first road game against a top 25 team (assuming we're still there ).
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:53 AM   #16
illinijimbo
IU is the real deal, their non con might be a little weak...

but it won't matter, they are a #1 seed in the dance unless someone gets injured.
illinijimbo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:54 AM   #17
bootsy
I don't think IU is as good as people are making them out to be. I see comments on how impressive they are and how good they look. They are good but I'm not sold on them being head and shoulders above everyone else. I think they have flaws that can be exploited, defense being one of them. This is a team that finished 5th in the conference last year and had some head scratching losses at Iowa, at Nebraska, Minny at home. Like I said they are good but they aren't this team that is just going to blow everyone out and show up because they are loaded with talent.
bootsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:57 AM   #18
chucktownillini
Lots of good observations here, appreciate that. Who has IU added this season to make them so much better than last year? Or is it based on them being better because they are more seasoned this year? Or is it that they didn't lose anyone from last years team? Or "all of the above"?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:00 AM   #19
illiniobserver22
Indiana is very good. That said, you are correct that they haven't really been challenged by a good team yet, and they aren't elite outside their home court.

Georgetown took them to OT on a neutral floor and went on to score 37 points against Tennessee and 46 against Towson. Georgia challenged them big time on a neutral floor, leading Crean to proclaim that they will win 22-25 games. So far they are 2-6 (losses to Georgia Tech, Youngstown State).

Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:03 AM   #20
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Lots of good observations here, appreciate that. Who has IU added this season to make them so much better than last year? Or is it based on them being better because they are more seasoned this year? Or is it that they didn't lose anyone from last years team? Or "all of the above"?
Big part of it was keeping Zeller and Watford. Adding Yogi Ferrell as a real PG has helped, plus everyone else is a year older.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:09 AM   #21
chucktownillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Big part of it was keeping Zeller and Watford. Adding Yogi Ferrell as a real PG has helped, plus everyone else is a year older.

Ah, yes, Yogi, forgot about him. Isn't he pretty small? Hulls not big either. So, they have small guards. Won't that hurt them on defense? Which one will guard Brandon? Sounds like that's their Achilles heel, then.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:10 AM   #22
WiskyIllini
We will beat them here. This is the only thing that matters.
WiskyIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:10 AM   #23
Boogua
Banned
Quote:
Ah, yes, Yogi, forgot about him. Isn't he pretty small? Hulls not big either. So, they have small guards. Won't that hurt them on defense? Which one will guard Brandon? Sounds like that's their Achilles heel, then.
Oladipo will guard Paul I think.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:15 AM   #24
chucktownillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyIllini View Post
We will beat them here. This is the only thing that matters.

Amen to that brother!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:16 AM   #25
chucktownillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogua View Post
Oladipo will guard Paul I think.

Who will guard Tracy then?

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »