Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart53x3 View Post
From Feb. 7 to March 10 Indiana plays:

@13 Illinois
@7 OSU
@19 MSU
@14 Minnesota
@3 Michigan

They're also home to 3 Michigan and 7 OSU during that stretch of time as well.

They've looked good so far, but until they start winning true road games against ranked teams, I won't fully be a believer.

chucktownillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:43 AM   #52
Illini First
Banned
How does duke get a number 2 ranking. Playing

Kentucky with freshmen and limited practice together, they win by 7.
Louisville, whose starting center is out with broken ribs, and lost by only 4.
Ohio St, AT duke who win by only 5. Ohio St led most of the game. Play at Ohio St and Ohio St. wins.

I can easily see duke with 2 losses if the opponent starters were all in the game or at different venues.

Cheers.

Last edited by Illini First; Dec 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Illini First is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:59 AM   #53
zpfled
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointGuardU01 View Post
They have the 7th best defense in the country when adjusted for tempo...and the number 1 offense. I'd say it's safe to say they're pretty damn good. I hate to admit it, but they pass the eye test, the stats test, and every other test.
NO! They fail the Hoosier Test, which goes like this:

Are you a Hoosier?
a. Yes
b. No

If the answer is A, then you are a big fat stinky moron.
zpfled is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:09 PM   #54
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini First View Post
How does duke get a number 2 ranking. Playing

Kentucky with freshmen and limited practice together, they win by 7.
Louisville, whose starting center is out with broken ribs, and lost by only 4.
Ohio St, AT duke who win by only 5. Ohio St led most of the game. Play at Ohio St and Ohio St. wins.

I can easily see duke with 2 losses if the opponent starters were all in the game or at different venues.

Cheers.
Yeah Duke really sucks because they couldn't beat those top 10 teams by more points.

Honestly, it's hard to say Duke doesn't have one of the most impressive resumes right now, probably the most impressive resume. You are in a stage of denial so deep that I suggest you seek medical attention immediately if you think otherwise. Your post had to be sarcastic, right?
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:14 PM   #55
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpfled View Post

Are you a Hoosier?
a. Yes
b. No

This made me laugh more than it should have.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:29 PM   #56
bleedsorangenblue
The thing about the Hoosiers is that they have not traditionally played well on the road. If they can start doing so, they are the team everyone thinks them to be. Their non-con schedule does not help them in this regard so it remains to be seen how good this team will be throughout the year. I don't think this makes them overrated at this juncture but, as someone said above, untested.

I think they are beatable and will lose some games once the B1G gets going. That said, they have some incredible players and chemistry that should take them far. I have been a big fan of Oladipo since he was a freshman and think he is a nightmare matchup for any team. There will be some exciting games this year in the B1G and IN will be in the thick of it.
bleedsorangenblue is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:33 PM   #57
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
No. Not sure what you are getting at but I'm talking about IU and their expectations.

And I don't understand how you can say IU is dramatically better than last year. Based off of what. At this time last year they were undefeated as well but didn't start off the season number 1. The expectations are higher this year but I'm not sold on them being the clear cut favorite. That's not hard to understand, if it is for you then tough luck. I'm not going to just start handing out compliments for beating Central Connecticut State and Bryant by 30-40 points. They haven't even play a true road game yet.
They have added a number of really good freshmen at key positions and several of their players look to have improved significantly over last year. Oladipo appears to be a top player now. I would not have said that last season. Hulls is amazing. Not just a set shooter. He is penetrating the paint and making good passes. Very difficult to defend him. Zeller appears much stronger as well. I thought he was good but not great last year. This year he is the best athlete and best basketball player on the court. Truly impressive kid.

Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:46 PM   #58
illineuron
Quote:

Are you a Hoosier?
a. Yes
b. No

Just when I think I'm maturing a little I read this and laugh. If I was mature I would laugh but be embarrassed.
illineuron is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:13 PM   #59
IlliniSteve
We should be praising the Hoosiers, we'll want them to roll into the Hall as the #1 ranked team when we knock them off.
IlliniSteve is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:51 PM   #60
chucktownillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSteve View Post
We should be praising the Hoosiers, we'll want them to roll into the Hall as the #1 ranked team when we knock them off.
If we don't praise them, they won't be #1? I, for one, will never praise a hoosier team, no matter how good they are. I will always hate IU, whether they are #1 or #300 in the nation. Just my take on things. Go Illini!!!!!!
chucktownillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:51 PM   #61
illiniwil
IU round ball and square heads

As soon as IU is exposed for laundring money to an AAU coach or two and a couple of more players are suspended, that ranking will change. At least Creen wont have to cut any senior scholarships next year, a few of those kids wont show up or be in the NBA.

The new wave of payoffs thru AAU coaches takes a little longer to track.
illiniwil is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:00 PM   #62
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucktownillini View Post
If we don't praise them, they won't be #1? I, for one, will never praise a hoosier team, no matter how good they are. I will always hate IU, whether they are #1 or #300 in the nation. Just my take on things. Go Illini!!!!!!
+1

I have only been despising IU since Bobby Knight days.

Please return Dead and Alive to Edwin Schrodinger
WizardBill is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:32 PM   #63
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucktownillini View Post
Hahaha agreed. We can despise them all we want, and they won't change their ranking.
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:00 PM   #64
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniwil View Post
As soon as IU is exposed for laundring money to an AAU coach or two and a couple of more players are suspended, that ranking will change. At least Creen wont have to cut any senior scholarships next year, a few of those kids wont show up or be in the NBA.

The new wave of payoffs thru AAU coaches takes a little longer to track.
Do you have access to legitimate information (which I doubt, since 'laundering' isn't really the right term in that context), or just disappointed that Crean has IU back in the national conversation?
Ransom Stoddard is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:07 PM   #65
Botb9
Realist
I don't think IU is necessarily overrated. I do, however, think this year's top 10 crop is weaker than last year. After IU and Duke, can you really say anyone else is elite?

Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:07 PM   #66
Illwinsagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
This made me laugh more than it should have.
Me too!
Illwinsagain is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:10 PM   #67
IlliniKat91
Indiana, as much as it makes me sick to say it, is legit as they come this year. Right now, I'm hoping we play them close, but I expect to lose even though we're playing in Champaign. Could we win? Yeah. Will we? Probably not.
IlliniKat91 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:26 PM   #68
PointGuardU01
Quote:

Are you a Hoosier?
a. Yes
b. No

You got me there. They also fail the 'is your coach a granstanding d-bag?' test. Never said they weren't the scum of the earth, just that they're pretty good at basketball.
PointGuardU01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:25 PM   #69
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointGuardU01 View Post
You got me there. They also fail the 'is your coach a granstanding d-bag?' test. Never said they weren't the scum of the earth, just that they're pretty good at basketball.
IIRC their coach said that Meyers Leonard was not going to be a good college center.

Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:26 PM   #70
zoggle101
A lot of fluff in this thread. I haven't seen anyone mention Remy Abell who is a big strong 2 with pg skills. This team is deep.

Im seeing a lot of talk about letting a top 15 ranked and top 25 period GT squad score 64 points. Anyone know anything about JT III would know he has his team slow down the game minimizing the other teams possessions. Well, they couldN't do that with the Hoosiers and had to keep pace. They're are a good team albeit not deep at every position but I wasn't even expecting them to make the NCAA. Severely under rated team if there was one from the major conferences. With Cincy I wasn't expecting a top 15 team but one that would make the NCAA with a bunch of returning role players plus multiple season contributors in JAquon Parker, Cashmere Wright, and Sean Kilpatrick.

Dayton you don't think Olidipo was a beast last year? Kids being doing this type of stuff along with Sheehey since they were freshmen. Sure both are better but thats natural progression with adding strength, iq, and maturity. They both threw down monster dunks on people and scored double digit in some games in the prior two seasons. They're more consistent but the flashes ofbwhat they were going to be have always been there. I'd go out on a limb and say both have been more consistent especially for 3 star guards out of h.s. than BP 3. Not a knock on Brandon but more our staff.

How in the muck are you overrated if you're number 1 but people still feel like you're a top five team. That's as hard to comprehend as my posts sometimes.

Last edited by zoggle101; Dec 10, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:08 PM   #71
Illini70math
I agree with the description of "untested" as opposed to overrated. They have played very well most of the time, but...

They have played two games away from Bloomington, and they were not all that good in either one. They beat Georgetown, the same Georgetown that beat Tennessee by a 37-36 score, in overtime. Their other neutral court win was a solid but not amazing victory over a weak Georgia squad (that later lost to Georgia Tech, fwiw).

How many of the folks saying they are a great team actually watched those two games, their only two games away from Bloomington? We know that the problem for IU since Crean got there, and it continued last season, is that they are not very good on the road. Until they start piling up true road wins against quality B1G teams, I will withhold judgment on whether they are a Final Four team as some claim.

The other thing to remember with IU is that they are one Cody Zeller high ankle sprain away from being a middle of the pack B1G team. Now, most B1G teams have players they can ill afford to lose, but IU is certainly one of them. Whether or not they develop depth at the post position may be a key for them in order to be a great team.
Illini70math is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:13 PM   #72
Boogua
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Im seeing a lot of talk about letting a top 15 ranked and top 25 period GT squad score 64 points. Anyone know anything about JT III would know he has his team slow down the game minimizing the other teams possessions. Well, they couldN't do that with the Hoosiers and had to keep pace. They're are a good team albeit not deep at every position but I wasn't even expecting them to make the NCAA. Severely under rated team if there was one from the major conferences. .
Can you please enlighten me on how you came to the conclusion of GT not being able to slow down the pace? I'm genuinely curious.
Boogua is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:32 PM   #73
zoggle101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogua View Post
Can you please enlighten me on how you came to the conclusion of GT not being able to slow down the pace? I'm genuinely curious.
IU attacks quickly and officiantly on O. I'm not sure if that answers your question?

I haven't checked but I'm sure their # of possessions were the highest they have been all year in that game.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:38 PM   #74
Boogua
Quote:
IU attacks quickly and officiantly on O. I'm not sure if that answers your question?

I haven't checked but I'm sure their # of possessions were the highest they have been all year in that game.
No, I understand how IU plays.

The number of possessions is more what I was wondering. Was hoping you had proof because I would guess that the # of possessions would be lower than IU is used to by a considerable amount. They scored 64 points in regulation (where they average 89).
Boogua is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:42 PM   #75
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:

No, games vs Duquesne and UCLA each had 1 more possession. And they did not go to OT like the IU game did.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is online now Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »