Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > General > Track 5 Chat

Okay, what's your music?

Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
I don't know many of you very well.

I am a big metal guy. I have been for 25 years. I go back to the early days of thrash, so I have a soft spot for bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Overkill, Exodus, etc. But I also grew up in the dawn of the death metal genre, so I also love both the old and new death metal stuff. That said, I love pretty much every sub-genre of metal that exists.

I realize I am in the minority here. But that's okay.

But my tastes go far beyond metal. I grew up listening to the Doors. I love guitar-driven blues rock. I love all sorts of music. I can tolerate only a very limited amount of pop and country. I can tolerate pretty much zero hip-hop. I do dig on old Beastie Boys.

I don't know if it's just my nature or if there's something going on subconsciously, but I find I cannot tolerate anything that could remotely be described as being "popular." Obviously I like a lot of bands that millions of others like. I love Pink Floyd, for instance. I guess the point is, if it is at all trendy I am probably not going to dig it. If it doesn't feel like it has staying power -- if I may not listen to it 5 or 10 years from now -- I can't enjoy it.

I love great craftsmanship, both lyrically and musically. I love singularity -- bands and artists with distinct styles. Ones who sound different without seeming like they are intentionally trying to be different.

Some of my favorite bands aside from the ones already mentioned:

Alice in Chains
Buckethead
CCR
Days of the New
Death
The Decemberists
Devin Townsend
Doors
Gojira
Mastodon
Mazzy Star
Opeth
Rush
Tegan and Sara
Type O Negative

I could easily name 100 bands but that's a good enough list to give a fair representation of my taste.

I'll always classify myself as a Metal Head first and foremost, but I can just as easily sit and enjoy a Tegan and Sara song as I can a black metal song.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:36 PM   #2
NorthwesternIllini4
Banned
I'm glad that you started a thread about this topic. I remember a few years back, there was a poster named PeetMoss (sp?), who used to start a very similar thread, and then just bash everyone who didn't like Led Zeppelin. So with that, I think let's try to keep this from getting judgmental about each others' musical preferences.

I'm 25 years old and somewhat diverse in my tastes, but my bread-and-butter will always be guitar-heavy classic rock with a lot of the bands you listed. Bands like Zep, Deep Purple, Van Halen (DLR-era), Hendrix, Doors, Clapton, etc. In high school (and currently), I got into some metal and grunge too that I still listen to- Metallica, Megadeth, Shadows Fall, Alice in Chains (Wayy underrated, if you ask me), Nirvana, STP, Pantera.

Lately I've been getting back into alt rock (RHCP, Foo Fighters, 311), ska (Reel big fish, Bosstones, Goldfinger), Reggaeton (not really sure why?) and Top 40 (eeeek i know).
NorthwesternIllini4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:45 PM   #3
-josh-
Banana no more
God...for me its easier to list what i dont like, such as Justin Bieber. My friends think i'm weird because one second you could be in my car listening to music like Charlie Daniels and then next song on would be Lamb of God followed by The Dubliners (old irish folk) and Tupac. I listen to everything, and i really mean that. I have artists that i dont like but i really have an issue where i try to expand my mind to accept all kinds of music.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Cool Hand Luke
AiC is extremely underrated, even as successful as they are.

josh, I feel pretty much the same way, minus the Tupac.

When I shuffle my iPod it's quite likely it will go from extreme metal to Fiona Apple to thrash to something classical then to more extreme metal, to Miles Davis, then back to some other metal band. Listening to music that lacks diversity is boring to me. I go through phases, but most days I listen to a wide variety of stuff.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:25 PM   #5
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
I got my start into liking music with more classic rock/hard rock like Zeppelin and Aerosmith, which then quickly turned into a love of hardcore metal and thrash metal like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer. Basically the heavier and more complex the better. I was even into some death metal for a while like Morbid Angel. That grew into more diverse metal genres like Pantera, Sepulture, Sevendust, Tool, etc and then as alternative took off I got into some bands like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Rob Zombie and others. Then I went into an RHCP phase and when I was in my late teens I got into electronic stuff like NIN, Chemical Brothers, Paul Oakenfold, Goldie, Massive Attack, and even ambient stuff like Future Sound of London, Orbital, and Underworld. A girlfriend in college then got me into the industrial scene so that meant a foray into darkwave, EBM, Futurepop and even some gothic stuff. Bands that 99% of people have never heard of like :Wumpscut:, Leaether Strip, Velvet Acid Christ, VNV Nation, etc. I was HUGE into VNV Nation for a while and their older stuff is still some of my favorite music. That evolved into an appreciation again of more pure metal sounds, progressive metal, and metal that was both heavy and melodic from bands like Dream Theater, Mastodon, Opeth, and Amon Amarth. I dig well-done rock in general (for instance I saw The Airborne Toxic Event in concert recently) and love watching live shows.

Recently I've been listening to more electronic stuff again from Deadmaus, Kaskade, and even old Sneaker Pimps but I also pop the old Metallica into the CD player every now and again. I've also been known to listen to some Pink Floyd, Frank Sinatra, or Tchaikovsky when the mood strikes. I have eclectic musical taste to say the least.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:02 PM   #6
-josh-
Banana no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaShampoo View Post
I got my start into liking music with more classic rock/hard rock like Zeppelin and Aerosmith, which then quickly turned into a love of hardcore metal and thrash metal like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer. Basically the heavier and more complex the better. I was even into some death metal for a while like Morbid Angel. That grew into more diverse metal genres like Pantera, Sepulture, Sevendust, Tool, etc and then as alternative took off I got into some bands like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Rob Zombie and others. Then I went into an RHCP phase and when I was in my late teens I got into electronic stuff like NIN, Chemical Brothers, Paul Oakenfold, Goldie, Massive Attack, and even ambient stuff like Future Sound of London, Orbital, and Underworld. A girlfriend in college then got me into the industrial scene so that meant a foray into darkwave, EBM, Futurepop and even some gothic stuff. Bands that 99% of people have never heard of like :Wumpscut:, Leaether Strip, Velvet Acid Christ, VNV Nation, etc. I was HUGE into VNV Nation for a while and their older stuff is still some of my favorite music. That evolved into an appreciation again of more pure metal sounds, progressive metal, and metal that was both heavy and melodic from bands like Dream Theater, Mastodon, Opeth, and Amon Amarth. I dig well-done rock in general (for instance I saw The Airborne Toxic Event in concert recently) and love watching live shows.

Recently I've been listening to more electronic stuff again from Deadmaus, Kaskade, and even old Sneaker Pimps but I also pop the old Metallica into the CD player every now and again. I've also been known to listen to some Pink Floyd, Frank Sinatra, or Tchaikovsky when the mood strikes. I have eclectic musical taste to say the least.

I like the cut of your jib. If you haven't heard Within Temptation i think you should check them out, they might be right up your alley, if you're into female rock singers.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:13 PM   #7
MTILLINOIS
I'm in the minority when it comes to music. I grew up with House (classic, hard, ghetto) music and rap. I still listen to them. But at times, I get tired of hearing the same ol' same ol' music. That's when I listen to classic rock and salsa.

I love listening to Master of Puppets by Metallica. AC/DC, Journey are my favorite bands. I'm also starting to appreciate Led Zeppelin.

Please understand, my older sister (RIP) was into those groups, so what she liked, I hated. Now I listen to them just to remind me of her. Johnny Cash and Elvis I can jam too!
MTILLINOIS is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:39 PM   #8
OlivetNaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by -josh- View Post
I like the cut of your jib. If you haven't heard Within Temptation i think you should check them out, they might be right up your alley, if you're into female rock singers.
This. DEFINITELY this. Awesome band. I'm very surprised they aren't more popular here in the states, honestly.

In addition to Within Temptation, I give extensive listening time to: Nightwish, Epica, The Letter Black, Disciple, Skillet, Thousand Foot Krutch, and Red.

Skillet used to be the hardest rock band in my lineup (circa 2004) - then they got popular and went soft rock (courtesy of Atlantic and produce Howard Benson). I still have hope that they'll return to their harder roots...but if not, I'll drop them from my frequent playlists.

"If life were logical, men would ride side-saddle."
OlivetNaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:32 PM   #9
gibb52
Cool Topic.

As a child of the 60's, I still like the Beatles, Stones, CCR, CSNY. Like driving rock like AC/DC as well. Like some folk, old country, a little bluegrass, still enjoy the 50's and 60's early rock sometimes as well.

Currently obsessed with acoustic blues. Can sit in my little music room (at the far end of the house per the wife's plans) and play it all night til my fingers bleed.
gibb52 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:36 AM   #10
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:
Originally Posted by -josh- View Post
Cool. I will definitely give them a listen.

It sounds silly, but I failed to mention my appreciation for classic and hair metal, as well. The first tape (yes, I said tape) I ever bought was Warrant's "Cherry Pie" but I was all into bands like Gn'R, Motley Crue, Skid Row, etc. back in the day. Love me some old school Black Sabbath and Deep Purple, too.

Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:37 AM   #11
KBLEE
I grew up on metal in the mid-80s. In Jr. High, the guys in the back of the bus would blast Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, W.A.S.P (years later I realized how cool our bus driver was for letting us rock out like that). I went through a Glam phase: CrŁe, Cinderella, Ratt, Poison. But, it was Guns N' Roses that really struck me when I was in HS. IMO - Appetite for Destruction is still one of the greatest rock albums ever produced. I eventually made my way to Pantera. I still remember the first time I heard Cowboys from Hell.

My tastes have evolved a bit since then, but that is the type of music I still gravitate to on a normal day. I used to hate country, but now really enjoy some of it (most notably Toby Keith). I do enjoy some the newer metal / metalcore. Bands like Hatebreed, Killswitch Engage, Trivium, and Five Finger Death Punch get a ton of play when I commuting to / from work. Mellower bands like Evanescence, We are the Fallen, Halestorm are enjoyed as well (speaking of bands w/ female lead singers...).
KBLEE is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:47 AM   #12
Cool Hand Luke
BananaShampoo, I thought i was the only Illini fan who knew Opeth. Nice.

Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:24 AM   #13
carmelillini
Starcastle, Head East, Captain Rat & the Blind Rivets, Duke Tomato & All Star Frogs, One Eyed Jacks.......the golden age.
carmelillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:27 AM   #14
Cool Hand Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelillini View Post
Starcastle, Head East, Captain Rat & the Blind Rivets, Duke Tomato & All Star Frogs, One Eyed Jacks.......the golden age.
Mark Rubel of Captain Rat was my instructor for my studio recording class.

Good guy, but a hella boring class. Not nearly hands-on enough.

Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:52 AM   #15
NorthwesternIllini4
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLEE View Post
Appetite for Destruction is still one of the greatest rock albums ever produced.
+1000

When I first bought Appetite as a Senior in HS (back in 2005), it played non-stop in my car for 3 straight months. I loved that album (but my friends got so sick of it; always trying to grab it and throw it out the window lol)
NorthwesternIllini4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:22 AM   #16
carmelillini
Nowadays I'm more of a Mumford&Sons, Avett Bros, The Civil Wars, Lumineers, plus all the Red Dirt bands from TX and OK.
carmelillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:45 PM   #17
zoggle101
If it sounds good I like it. Lyrics need to be right and mean something along with the instrumentals. I'll listen to classical, pop country, all the way to gangster rap even though I'm trying to get away from that. A song like dear mama by Tupac is always going to be on my play list along with let me ride by Dr. dre.

Two bands I've recently started liking are Mumford and Sons(great right?), and the Band Perry.

I had never listened to country until I started being friends with my wife and she got me into the Dixie Chicks and a little KennynChesney. I was listening to Spice 1's Amerika's KKK as a sixth grader but also like pop rock/grunge stuff like Weezer, Blink 182, Nirvana, and Greenday. I have two older sisters and bands like Aerosmith, and chuck Petty and the heartbreakers along with pop/classic 80's stuff. I loved the Red Hot Chili Peppers also growing up and unfortunately never got into the Doors or Zepplin even though a couple close friends are slowly turning them onto me. You can't beat pop/classic R&B either like Boyz2Men, R Kelly, and Usher. I even listen to classic boy band stuff along with Christina and Brittany.

I'm 30 now and have a couple younger buddies around 20 who let me know how old I am but are the same kids who think rappers like Ludacris, Lil Wayne, and the game are in their early 20's until I tell them their music choices are being influenced by guys my age in music style, and life in general.

For all you young kids look for positive role models to help you grow as a person. You wouldn't believe how much a little prior knowledge can help you. I told one of the kids that you never act like you own a women and never to curse at them. They don't forget that stuff and if its constant don't be surprised if they make you pay for disrespecting them like you did. I hate hearing guys cry to dog their women but didn't treat them like the Angels most are. Guys who are young should never let a women control you and tell you who is a friend or isn't. There are too many people out there to get to know and meet. It's be unreasonable and naive to think you're going to marry you h.s. sweetheart 99-100 times. Have fun but don't be too dumb BC you're only young once.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:25 AM   #18
ctblaisdell83
I'm into the Classic rock and the British invasion (grew up in 60s and 70s). Beatles, Stones, Zep, Cream, etc. I even have Paul Revere and the Raiders on my iTunes (!). Oh...and Motown. Really big Stevie Wonder fan.

Lately been getting back into the Prog Rock - Genesis (Gabriel era), Yes, King Crimson

Newer stuff includes Velvet Revolver, Chili Peppers (Under the Bridge), Fighters of Foo, my kids got me into My Chemical Romance, the Used, Flyleaf.

I play a little guitar, so any guitar-driven music is cool by me. And I love the alternate tunings (Brown Sugar/Honky Tonk Women, Everlong, Slither).

Also love Classic Jazz (Coltrane, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington). Sinatra, Ella, Billie Holliday

Guilty pleasures include Christina Aguilera. Love Christmas muisc

List could go on for a while...but who would want to read it

Forgot Rush, Boston, Foreigner from HS days. REM from UI days
ctblaisdell83 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:43 AM   #19
pizzaman
I also grew up in the 50's and 60's with a sister 8 years older than me. When the British invasion hit I realized that I had heard some of that music along the way. I still listen to Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and Willie Dixon along with newer blues greats include Robert Cray and Buddy Guy.

From my youthful years, I still listen to the Stones, Steely Dan, Warren Zevon, , Neil Young, Dylan, The Band and new comers Counting Crows, Black Crowes, Lucinda Williams, and Wilco.

For old timers, most public tv stations are showing the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour this friday. I never saw it way back when and look forward to catching up.

When I turn to Pandora in the office its usually jazz.
pizzaman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:59 AM   #20
ctblaisdell83
Agreed on Steely Dan, Neil Young, The Band...how'd I forget Dylan.

Also I forgot Southern Rock...Allman Bros, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker

BTW - there is a great youtube vid (1 hr long) on the history of Southern Rock, for those who like that music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRHN5so_Ijo
ctblaisdell83 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:21 PM   #21
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
I also grew up in the 50's and 60's with a sister 8 years older than me. When the British invasion hit I realized that I had heard some of that music along the way. I still listen to Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and Willie Dixon along with newer blues greats include Robert Cray and Buddy Guy.

From my youthful years, I still listen to the Stones, Steely Dan, Warren Zevon, , Neil Young, Dylan, The Band and new comers Counting Crows, Black Crowes, Lucinda Williams, and Wilco.

For old timers, most public tv stations are showing the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour this friday. I never saw it way back when and look forward to catching up.

When I turn to Pandora in the office its usually jazz.
I'm a big blues fan too and have seen Buddy Guy 3 or 4 times in the last few years. Amazing how great a show a 76 year old guy can put on. I'm also in to the newer generation of blues players like Joe Bonamassa, Walter Trout, Susan Tedeschi & Derek Trucks, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and Robben Ford. There are also a few really good blueswomen like Joanne Shaw Taylor, Erja Lyytinen (she's Finnish), and Ana Popovic (Serbian, but a heckuva player). Some days I want Chicago blues from the 50's, some days I want SRV/Clapton/Bonamassa type stuff, some days is more laid back blues like Keb' 'Mo, Moreland and Arbuckle, and Eric Bibb, and some days I go way back to Robert Johnson, Son House, and Tommy Johnson, but it's all good.

Other than that I really like Springsteen, Petty, John Hiatt, Lyle Lovett, British invasion stuff, garage rock, Pearl Jam, Foos, and Zeppelin.
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:21 PM   #22
-josh-
Banana no more
Nothing gets me going in the morning like a little Sultans of Swing from Dire Straits.

Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:51 PM   #23
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
I'm good for about anything, really. Been enjoying some of Ahmad Jamal's jazz piano recently after I saw him live at Krannert a couple of months ago. But really, it's hard to find music I don't like. I grew up playing violin and now do a lot of singing so classical music is my favorite to be a part of performing.

Former Illini Pride President (2012-2013)
Orange Krush Class of 2013!

Orange Krush Road Trip @ Iowa, Feb. 3, 2010
danielb927 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:51 PM   #24
dansaint
Mine is the following groups:

Def Leppard
Queensryche
Motley Crue
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Queen
Led Zeppelin
The Who
The Beatles

I like a lot of music...most of my stuff though is mid 60's to mid 90's is my era. Rock mainly the genre although some 80's pop I don't mind. Although I do love some good jazz on a early evening. Put on the jazz music channel on DirecTV...pour a nice rum and coke and sit and mellow out.

Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:36 AM   #25
Go Illini
I like a little bit of everything. Alice in Chains is solid. I also like Puddle of Mudd.

I enjoyed rap when I was playing sports as a teenager, so every once in awhile, I'll slip NWA, Public Enemy, or Too Short into the car CD player and jam to that.
Go Illini is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | General Chat | Next Thread »