Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Bowls and the B1G underdog

Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:52 AM   #1
pizzaman
I was traveling last week and picked up USA today in the motel. The paper listed the bowl schedule and every one of the B1G teams is the underdog in their bowl.

Could be ugly for the B1G.
pizzaman is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:34 AM   #2
TroubleTheTractor
That's what happens when two of the three or four best teams can't go and worse teams have to take their spots.
TroubleTheTractor is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:14 AM   #3
GilThorpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleTheTractor View Post
That's what happens when two of the three or four best teams can't go and worse teams have to take their spots.
that situation doesnt help matters, but even if tO$U & PSU were playing, its likely that only one team, tO$U, would be favored in their game.

The B1G was bad this year.
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:16 AM   #4
ILLbill
I think Georgia will smash Nebraska for sure.
ILLbill is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:36 AM   #5
illinied
Can't believe I'm saying this but Fitz has the best chance IMO to get a W. Others will be blowouts in the wrong direction. I miss being in a bowl game! With the schedule we had this year and the returning players we should have been there. Baccoman has to go! (no need to reply Mrs. Beckman - alias AHS)
illinied is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:08 AM   #6
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleTheTractor View Post
The B10 has been terrible for years. We have had too many bowl tie-ins that are above us. Hopefully with the addition of new teams in the conference and getting others off probation, we can start to even that out a bit.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:44 PM   #7
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
The B10 has been terrible for years. We have had too many bowl tie-ins that are above us. Hopefully with the addition of new teams in the conference and getting others off probation, we can start to even that out a bit.
I haven't checked the bowl schedule for this season, but in past seasons it has seemed like half the B1G was playing a road game for their bowl game.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:29 PM   #8
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinied View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this but Fitz has the best chance IMO to get a W. Others will be blowouts in the wrong direction. I miss being in a bowl game! With the schedule we had this year and the returning players we should have been there. Baccoman has to go! (no need to reply Mrs. Beckman - alias AHS)
LOL this is ridiculous. No coach in the nation would have gotten this team to a bowl game.

I suggest you:

1.) look at the recruiting rankings over the last 3 years of UI football. (Ill give you a hint: we haven't recruited well)

2.) look at the depth of the Illini in key positions. (Ill give you a hint: we didn't have any)

3.) look at our offensive playmakers (hint: we didn't have any of those either)

4.) look at the amount of injuries our team had this year (hint: the Illini trainer said he had never seen more injuries in his 29 years)

P.S. Dan said to only refer to Beckman as Beckman because that's his name.
lstewart53x3 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:05 PM   #9
illinoistradition
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart53x3 View Post
LOL this is ridiculous. No coach in the nation would have gotten this team to a bowl game.

I suggest you:

1.) look at the recruiting rankings over the last 3 years of UI football. (Ill give you a hint: we haven't recruited well)

2.) look at the depth of the Illini in key positions. (Ill give you a hint: we didn't have any)

3.) look at our offensive playmakers (hint: we didn't have any of those either)

4.) look at the amount of injuries our team had this year (hint: the Illini trainer said he had never seen more injuries in his 29 years)

P.S. Dan said to only refer to Beckman as Beckman because that's his name.
No coach? That is a pretty bold statement. Did Purdue have great recruiting the last 3 years? Minnesota? It isn't hard to make a bowl game these days. All you have to do is win at least 3, if not all 4, of your non-conference games and then beat 2-3 conference opponents. You're telling me it would have been hard to beat IU, PU, Minnesota, and one other team?

Good coaches don't make excuses. They find a way to win. He took this job himself, didn't he? He was not forced to take it. If the seniors don't buy in, play someone else. He isn't getting paid $1.6 million to live by excuses. While there was much debate about whether or not he would be fired after one season last year, I believe one thing is clear: if we go 2-10 again next year (not necessarily out of the realm of possibilities), Tim Beckman will not be the coach in 2014.
illinoistradition is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:07 PM   #10
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoistradition View Post
No coach? That is a pretty bold statement. Did Purdue have great recruiting the last 3 years? Minnesota? It isn't hard to make a bowl game these days. All you have to do is win at least 3, if not all 4, of your non-conference games and then beat 2-3 conference opponents. You're telling me it would have been hard to beat IU, PU, Minnesota, and one other team?

Good coaches don't make excuses. They find a way to win. He took this job himself, didn't he? He was not forced to take it. If the seniors don't buy in, play someone else. He isn't getting paid $1.6 million to live by excuses. While there was much debate about whether or not he would be fired after one season last year, I believe one thing is clear: if we go 2-10 again next year (not necessarily out of the realm of possibilities), Tim Beckman will not be the coach in 2014.
We've went through all of this hundreds of times on this site. You can go back and read them if you'd like. I just thought I would give that person a quick run down of why I believe we wouldn't have won 6 games with any coach this year.

I could be wrong. We'll never know.

TB is known as a recruiter, so lets let him recruit, get his guys on the team, and we'll see what happens just like Toledo did (who now has a better team than Illinois, which was mostly recruited by TB)
lstewart53x3 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:04 AM   #11
IntenselyOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
I haven't checked the bowl schedule for this season, but in past seasons it has seemed like half the B1G was playing a road game for their bowl game.
This is typically the case. We have tie-ins with the Big 12 down in Texas and tie-ins with the SEC down south. Add in the Rose Bowl against the PAC and usually the B1G team is the "road" team. But that doesn't fully explain the beating the conference has been taking in recent years.
IntenselyOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:21 AM   #12
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinied View Post
(adds Mrs. Beckman to list of names he's been associated with)

It's quite clear that when you and others have people flat-out present you with valid reasons why we shouldn't all be yelling and screaming about Beckman yet that you resort to saying we're related...funny.

More to the point, what schedule were you looking at? And what returning players were you talking about? The ones that lost 6 straight games last year and looked awful doing it and lost easily their best offensive player with no one to replace him?
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:56 PM   #13
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
(adds Mrs. Beckman to list of names he's been associated with)

It's quite clear that when you and others have people flat-out present you with valid reasons why we shouldn't all be yelling and screaming about Beckman yet that you resort to saying we're related...funny.

More to the point, what schedule were you looking at? And what returning players were you talking about? The ones that lost 6 straight games last year and looked awful doing it and lost easily their best offensive player with no one to replace him?
Ignore it.

I am sorry but anyone thinking that ANY coach should be fired after one year simply is clueless. Beyond clueless, they are being detrimental to the team. Beckman will get another season or two to turn things around. There will be clueless people wondering why a team that was a shipwreck at the end of Zook's tenure isn't winning consistently. No sense in feeding them with a response.

Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:07 PM   #14
Juice
Wow. Guess KState's loss to Baylor wasn't as bad as it seemed. First time getting to watch Baylor and they are a solid fundamentally sound football team.
Juice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:10 PM   #15
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Ignore it.

I am sorry but anyone thinking that ANY coach should be fired after one year simply is clueless. Beyond clueless, they are being detrimental to the team. Beckman will get another season or two to turn things around. There will be clueless people wondering why a team that was a shipwreck at the end of Zook's tenure isn't winning consistently. No sense in feeding them with a response.
Agree. Anyone who thinks Beck should be fired after this year is COMPLETELY clueless. He had no player buy in, unmotivated players who didn't care, players that don't fit his scheme, lack of playmakers on offense, young inexperienced o line... The list could go on and on.

Fact is firing a coach after one year is a giant risk in itself.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:14 PM   #16
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Agree. Anyone who thinks Beck should be fired after this year is COMPLETELY clueless. He had no player buy in, unmotivated players who didn't care, players that don't fit his scheme, lack of playmakers on offense, young inexperienced o line... The list could go on and on.

Fact is firing a coach after one year is a giant risk in itself.
We couldn't have fired Beckman. That said, part of the job of a coach is to motivate players, get them to buy in, and adapt to the available talent. This was going to be a tough year no matter who was coaching, but I'm not sure it had to be the complete disaster we experienced.

Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:22 PM   #17
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
That said, part of the job of a coach is to motivate players, get them to buy in, and adapt to the available talent.
Very true statement.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:01 AM   #18
cmore
Big win for Michigan State and the B1G.
cmore is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:13 AM   #19
illinicb
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
My memory says that the majority of Big Ten teams are underdogs in their bowl games. Most of that is driven by the "filler" teams that get to better bwol games than they deserve because of the power of the conference.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »