Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Player of the Year Race (12/18)

Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:36 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
7. Brandon Paul

G | 6-4 | SR | Illinois

The senior guard continues to play well -- and the Illini continue to win and shock the nation. Paul had 17 points, nine rebounds and three assists in a win over Eastern Kentucky. His season numbers: 18.8 points, 5.1 rebounds and 3.5 assists while shooting 40 percent from deep.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...-back-on-track
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:38 AM   #2
AHSIllini32
Banned
Anyone notice what they said about Zeller?
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:41 AM   #3
TearsOfJoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
Anyone notice what they said about Zeller?
A 7 foot guard that shoots 40% beyond the arc. That is something not to be truffled with.
TearsOfJoy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Obelix
I remember first watching McDermott when Jereme Richmond and Waukegan played against Harrison Barnes and Ames High in a nationally televised ESPN HS game. Ames won but I thought that McDermott really stole the spotlight during that game. I thought he was very underrated at the time.

Actually found my post from over 2 years ago...

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum...9&postcount=64
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Future Walk-On
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
I remember first watching McDermott when Jereme Richmond and Waukegan played against Harrison Barnes and Ames High in a nationally televised ESPN HS game. Ames won but I thought that McDermott really stole the spotlight during that game. I thought he was very underrated at the time.

Actually found my post from over 2 years ago...

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum...9&postcount=64
I watched some of that game...late and remember McDermott had over 30 in the game while Barnes had less than 20
Future Walk-On is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:32 PM   #6
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
yep, dude was a 3* IIRC
AK Illini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:42 PM   #7
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Walk-On View Post
I watched some of that game...late and remember McDermott had over 30 in the game while Barnes had less than 20
I am not sure if it was such a big discrepancy, IIRC (too long ago) Barnes and McDermott finished about the same as far as points. But McDermott really stole the show with his early effort and Barnes got many points on putbacks after Waukegan switched to guard him more closely.

I thought... Creighton? This guy is very good. Where are all the HM schools going after him? But then I thought maybe I caught this guy on one of these nights where he had the game of his life.

In retrospect, and apparently now, that was not the case. McDermott was indeed good and people missed on him.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:08 PM   #8
stevo99
I think given that Illinois is the surprise team in the nation, Brandon is likely undervalued at 7. I'd put him at 4 or 5.
stevo99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:18 PM   #9
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
I am not sure if it was such a big discrepancy, IIRC (too long ago) Barnes and McDermott finished about the same as far as points. But McDermott really stole the show with his early effort and Barnes got many points on putbacks after Waukegan switched to guard him more closely.

I thought... Creighton? This guy is very good. Where are all the HM schools going after him? But then I thought maybe I caught this guy on one of these nights where he had the game of his life.

In retrospect, and apparently now, that was not the case. McDermott was indeed good and people missed on him.
And, maybe they just knew he was going to play for his father.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:41 PM   #10
IlliniSpine
Banned
BP top 10 player...we'll need another top 10 performance from him to beat MIZZ! Hopefully BP3 will be our Kemba Walker this year.

"Big time players make big time plays in big games...and Brandon is a big time player" -JG (paraphrase)
IlliniSpine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:44 PM   #11
OrchardDowns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Walk-On View Post
Barnes and Richmond struggled that night forcing shots while McDermott stole the spotlight and was the best player on the floor. UNI was getting a steal before they let him out of that commitment and he bolted to Creighton with his dad.
OrchardDowns is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:21 PM   #12
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
And, maybe they just knew he was going to play for his father.
Well, his father getting the Creighton job played a huge role no doubt. And he then re-committed late in the process. But before his father moved from Iowa State to Creighton late in the spring, McDermott was committed to Northern Iowa. So he was not heavily pursued by HM's.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:35 PM   #13
Chiefforever
Hope this doesn't make him cocky. He should just focus on a win against Mizzou.
Chiefforever is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:46 PM   #14
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefforever View Post
Hope this doesn't make him cocky.
Hope he isn't even reading these types of articles.
trevdv is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:50 PM   #15
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
Hope he isn't even reading these types of articles.
Lol confidence is a good thing. The collapse last year wasn't caused by over confidence, but by lack of confidence.
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:02 PM   #16
PVR
Some love for BP3 on Deadspin:

http://deadspin.com/5969263/the-15-o...weekly-ranking

>>15. Illinois. Guard Brandon Paul is quite possibly the most improved player in the country. He's shooting better both inside and outside the arc, and for the first time in his up-and-down college career, he is an efficient offensive player (his offensive rating is 118.0). Until this year, Paul was one of those smooth, gliding players who so looked the part of an elite scorer—good handle, nice form on the jumper, long limbs, springy athleticism—that you were shocked when you saw his mediocre numbers. What changed? This is just speculation, but maybe his new coach, John Groce—a mathematics major at Taylor University who at Ohio was one of the first high-major coaches to pay attention to Ken Pomeroy and tempo-based statistics—did some smart tinkering with the senior's game. Paul's use of the pick-and-roll has become more diverse; too often last year the guard favored picks set on the right side of the court. Now he is increasingly driving left, even going away from picks at times, and the constant movement is giving him more options and better looks in a system that is to Bruce Weber's offense what the Apollo space program was to the Wright Brothers.

Next game: Saturday vs. Missouri, the Border War<<
PVR is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:10 PM   #17
IlliniReb
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVR View Post
Some love for BP3 on Deadspin:

http://deadspin.com/5969263/the-15-o...weekly-ranking

>>15. Illinois. Guard Brandon Paul is quite possibly the most improved player in the country. He's shooting better both inside and outside the arc, and for the first time in his up-and-down college career, he is an efficient offensive player (his offensive rating is 118.0). Until this year, Paul was one of those smooth, gliding players who so looked the part of an elite scorer—good handle, nice form on the jumper, long limbs, springy athleticism—that you were shocked when you saw his mediocre numbers. What changed? This is just speculation, but maybe his new coach, John Groce—a mathematics major at Taylor University who at Ohio was one of the first high-major coaches to pay attention to Ken Pomeroy and tempo-based statistics—did some smart tinkering with the senior's game. Paul's use of the pick-and-roll has become more diverse; too often last year the guard favored picks set on the right side of the court. Now he is increasingly driving left, even going away from picks at times, and the constant movement is giving him more options and better looks in a system that is to Bruce Weber's offense what the Apollo space program was to the Wright Brothers.

Next game: Saturday vs. Missouri, the Border War<<

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
IlliniReb is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:51 PM   #18
MTILLINOIS
Great to see BP3 getting some attention from the national media. His numbers are impressive and might be the driving force to our record. I hope he keeps it up.
MTILLINOIS is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:55 AM   #19
ILLINIDAD2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchardDowns View Post
Barnes and Richmond struggled that night forcing shots while McDermott stole the spotlight and was the best player on the floor. UNI was getting a steal before they let him out of that commitment and he bolted to Creighton with his dad.
I watched the entire game. I remember him dominating a 6'-2" guard in the post while jereme guarded Harrison on the perimeter. Great coaching by the Ames staff. Waukegan clearly didn't match up against the much bigger and deeper Ames team. Fun game though.
ILLINIDAD2010 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:11 AM   #20
ILLINIDAD2010
Brandon Paul has the heart of a lion. He is a clutch player that is proving daily why he's Mr. BASKETBALL. His tenacity, very high IQ and burning desire, will propel him to the POY. This young man has found his groove and hasn't peaked yet. His range seems to be from the locker room when he's on and lately, that's what he's been. 40% from deep forces defensive players to guard him up close. His first step and overall power will make collapsing defenders pay dearly. Very strong candidate. Much to low @ 7. IMO...
ILLINIDAD2010 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:31 AM   #21
SteakSandwich
Good for Brandon and the ILLINI! Always nice to have some spotlight on the team.
SteakSandwich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:18 AM   #22
TCTORNADO
BP3 is and has been clearly the leader on and off the court. He also is the leader in the locker room. Not even close!!
The tone was set the very first day JG was in C/U and had a very short 15 minute meeting with the team. At the end of the meeting, which was needless to say a little tense as first meetings with new coaches go, JG asked if anybody had any questions. Room was silent for awhile, and up pops BP3 with his "do you like wings" question. JG not to be outdone said only if I can bring my own hot sauce. JG had that early on researched the fact that BP3 notoriously carries his own bottle of hot sauce everywhere.
Speak about establishing commonality and the ability to relate all within first 15 minutes of meeting the team!!
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:43 AM   #23
FinalFour88
That Deadspin write-up says BP has been driving more to his left. I can't recall many drives he's made to his left.
FinalFour88 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:43 AM   #24
Calvin
BP3 is using his talent much more effectively. He also tends to play big in big games, something that has hugely helped us. Hope he stays in the discussion --it's a huge honor.
Calvin is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:56 PM   #25
Archie
Banned
Jeff Whithey from Kansas will be in this race till the end. He may be the best "big" in all of college basketball.
Archie is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »