Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Akeem Spence declares for NFL Draft

Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
DT Akeem Spence to declare on Friday during press conference.

http://twitter.com/Eric_Young305
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:37 PM   #2
IlliniSpine
Banned
Wow. That's the opposite of good news. Guess I can't blame him for leaving the sinking ship with no hope of playing for anything next year. Good luck!
IlliniSpine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:41 PM   #3
CaptainHindsight
Go get em Akeem!
CaptainHindsight is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:45 PM   #4
gibb52
3rd round? Is that about right?
gibb52 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:52 PM   #5
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniSpine View Post
Wow. That's the opposite of good news. Guess I can't blame him for leaving the sinking ship with no hope of playing for anything next year. Good luck!
:rolleyes:

Best of luck, I hope his decision to slack off early in the year doesn't come back to bit him too much
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:55 PM   #6
TooHot4Tots
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibb52 View Post
3rd round? Is that about right?
He better have a very solid combine.
TooHot4Tots is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Groundhogday
Quote:
That is the opposite of news.

Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Illiniferret
Solid post keep it up
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
:rolleyes:

Best of luck, I hope his decision to slack off early in the year doesn't come back to bit him too much
Illiniferret is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:13 PM   #9
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniferret View Post
Solid post keep it up
AHS is right.
Juice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:25 PM   #10
HsvIllini
Best of luck to him - he's gonna need it.
HsvIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:26 PM   #11
HsvIllini
Quote:
Not a surprise either.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:28 PM   #12
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
Not a surprise either.
Spence made up his mind to leave before the season even started. I suspect that was part of why he played so poorly. Akeem thought he had already made it and was just putting in the time.

Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:38 PM   #13
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Spence made up his mind to leave before the season even started. I suspect that was part of why he played so poorly. Akeem thought he had already made it and was just putting in the time.
You're exactly right. I wish him the best, but you have to play out the season as best you can if you expect to be drafted high...
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:47 PM   #14
HsvIllini
Quote:
This is also not news. He was already expected to declare for the draft long before the season was over.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:19 AM   #15
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Yep, he better have a helluva combine or he won't go until the 3rd day of the draft.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:33 AM   #16
jackman404
Banned
He was being projected as a 1st rounder before the season started, I think somebody takes a gamble on him on day 2.
jackman404 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:45 AM   #17
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackman404 View Post
He was being projected as a 1st rounder before the season started, I think somebody takes a gamble on him on day 2.
Maybe, but the "one-year" wonder tag may come back to haunt him. The sad thing is he could almost guaranteed himself a top 2 round pick if he just woulda showed up all year instead of just starting with the Purdue game.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:18 AM   #18
SCillini
Quote:
There was more than one game where he was our best defensive player. He didn't play that poorly.
SCillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:20 AM   #19
SCillini
Quote:
Maybe, but the "one-year" wonder tag may come back to haunt him. The sad thing is he could almost guaranteed himself a top 2 round pick if he just woulda showed up all year instead of just starting with the Purdue game.
A three year starter is a "one year" wonder? He wasn't consistent early this year, but he was a solid player for the program.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:23 AM   #20
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCillini View Post
A three year starter is a "one year" wonder? He wasn't consistent early this year, but he was a solid player for the program.
Yes he was. He played as a true freshman but didn't really make an impact. As a soph he played extremely well. Then this year he didn't do squat for most of the year and appeared to coast.

Just being a three year starter doesn't mean they were all good years.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:28 AM   #21
OlivetNaz
Quote:
There was more than one game where he was our best defensive player. He didn't play that poorly.
The fact that Spence was our best defensive player for a game or two is more a testament to the general suckishness of our defense than it is to Spence's "talent." This year - like Staples - his "talent" seemed to be in missing tackles in clutch situations or being flagged for penalties at the worst possible time.

If I were an NFL GM, I wouldn't take a look at this guy until the 5th round - at the earliest - because the work ethic wasn't there this year. Fortunately for Spence, I'm not an NFL GM.

"If life were logical, men would ride side-saddle."
OlivetNaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:36 AM   #22
SCillini
Quote:
Yes he was. He played as a true freshman but didn't really make an impact. As a soph he played extremely well. Then this year he didn't do squat for most of the year and appeared to coast.

Just being a three year starter doesn't mean they were all good years.
First, he was a Redshirt freshman, and he played decently for a RS-FR. His sophomore year was very good. He played poorly to start this year, and maybe that was in part due to defensive schemes and coaching. He played a very good 2nd half of the season
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:40 AM   #23
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
First, he was a Redshirt freshman, and he played decently for a RS-FR. His sophomore year was very good. He played poorly to start this year, and maybe that was in part due to defensive schemes and coaching. He played a very good 2nd half of the season
Yes, RS my fault...even still that doesn't really change the narrative of his time here. He had the same DL coach this year as last year so your coaching idea doesn't really hold up.

As I said, he did play better down the stretch and it showed for our defense. The fact that you admitted he only played well during the back portion of the season makes my point. It was painfully obvious when Spence decided he wanted to start playing. We were running the same schemes later in the year as we were when he wasn't producing. As GHD said, he had already checked out and it showed.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:40 AM   #24
SCillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivetNaz View Post
The fact that Spence was our best defensive player for a game or two is more a testament to the general suckishness of our defense than it is to Spence's "talent." This year - like Staples - his "talent" seemed to be in missing tackles in clutch situations or being flagged for penalties at the worst possible time.

If I were an NFL GM, I wouldn't take a look at this guy until the 5th round - at the earliest - because the work ethic wasn't there this year. Fortunately for Spence, I'm not an NFL GM.
Lucky for him you're not a GM, because he'll likely be a 3rd-4th round pick by someone. Potential often means more than past results when it comes to drafting players. I'll disagree with you that he had a terrible year.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:43 AM   #25
OlivetNaz
Quote:
Lucky for him you're not a GM, because he'll likely be a 3rd-4th round pick by someone. Potential often means more than past results when it comes to drafting players. I'll disagree with you that he had a terrible year.
The bolded statement is why I don't care much for the NFL. Many times, the best players in terms of production aren't necessarily the most physically talented or the most loaded with potential. Those players get passed over for lesser candidates who have better "potential."

"If life were logical, men would ride side-saddle."
OlivetNaz is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »