Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Tim Beckman didn't fear for job

Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:22 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Tim Beckman goes on the record

It obviously was a tough first season for you at Illinois. Looking back, why did 2-10 happen?

Beckman: "Well, I think there's a lot of reasons, but the bottom line is it was 2-10. We got to get ourselves better, and we got to move forward. That's one of the things that you fight. Our players, I gave them one day off after that game up north (a season-ending 50-14 loss at Northwestern). We got back busy, started our workout preparations. We got to move forward. You got to learn from that stuff, and you got to move forward. The way we're moving forward is taking care of each day that we're out there in society, in the weight room and getting ourselves better and moving forward."

Jeremy Werner
Quote:
Tim Beckman didn't fear for job

"I feel pressure every year to win," said Beckman, 21-16 in three seasons at Toledo before taking over at Illinois. "I don't usually lose. This was new to me. In the last 11 years, I've only had two losing seasons. I've been to a bowl the majority of the time. This is the second losing season I've had. I like to win.

"I know it was tough. There were some things that needed to be fixed, and we didn't fix them fast enough. We're going to continue to move forward. That's the process. Whatever is needed is going to be done for us to win."

Scott Powers

Last edited by Dan; Dec 20, 2012 at 08:27 AM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:34 AM   #2
quhawks12
Ugh...he just can't quit my biggest pet peeve about him!
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:46 AM   #3
IlliniRunIn07
Step 1.) Get Better
Step 2.) Move Forward

I think we got it.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Are we sure they weren't still talking to Ron Zook?

Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:52 AM   #5
hermie1985
He had to speak of moving forward. There isn't that much room to fall.
hermie1985 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Groundhogday
Quote:
"We had three corners who were on scholarship going through spring ball (last season,)" said Beckman, who played six true freshmen this season. "That's unheard of.
Of all our recruiting failures over the past few years, this was perhaps the most inexplicable. There are a lot of DBs out there, so to repeatedly fail in restocking the secondary...

We have a grand total of six returning scholarship players for five secondary positions (Thomas, Barton, Bello, Spence, Bentley, and Little), one 3rd year player (Thomas), one 2nd year player (Spence), and the other four in their first year on campus. Mind boggling...

Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:53 AM   #7
I Hate Lemonier
It has to be tough to sit down for any interview after you go 2-10. No answer you give is going to be right to everyone. I'd say his weight loss and gaffes evidenced he was under more stress than he would ever let on. He truly is in a Catch 22 with every answer

That being said, the only way to have easier interviews and not have every word picked to the bone is to win.
I Hate Lemonier is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:54 AM   #8
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermie1985 View Post
He had to speak of moving forward. There isn't that much room to fall.
And it is essential that the coaches not dwell on the past season. By pointing forward, they can be optimistic and that is essential right now.

Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:56 AM   #9
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Are we sure they weren't still talking to Ron Zook?
Honestly, Zook appeared to me to truly believe the things he was saying. I dont get a confident vibe from Beckman. He doesn't seem convinced in himself, but like i said before it is hard to sound good coming off 2-10
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:56 AM   #10
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Of all our recruiting failures over the past few years, this was perhaps the most inexplicable. There are a lot of DBs out there, so to repeatedly fail in restocking the secondary...
He even throws out the 0-6 losing streak from 2011. Plus the extreme lack of depth. Basically throwing Zook under the buss without saying, "Are you kidding me? What coach has 3 scholarship CBs!" or "These guys sucked during that 6 game losing streak...so I'm not sure what everyone expected".
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:05 AM   #11
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Lemonier View Post
Honestly, Zook appeared to me to truly believe the things he was saying. I dont get a confident vibe from Beckman. He doesn't seem convinced in himself, but like i said before it is hard to sound good coming off 2-10
What in the world gives you that vibe?
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:14 AM   #12
RHITIllini
Quote:
I feel like it's the opposite.
RHITIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:15 AM   #13
Sybok
I paid more attention to his comment about not forgetting how to coach football in one year than I did anything else.
Sybok is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:18 AM   #14
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHITIllini View Post
I feel like it's the opposite.
That was exactly my feeling as well.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:25 AM   #15
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
What in the world gives you that vibe?
Platitudes without specifics. What are we going to do better on offense? Tempo, running the ball? Defense? Turnovers, sacks?

I still dont know who he wants us to be as a team. What is going to be our identity going forward. Personally thats what i would like to hear so i know what to look forward to.

Just getting better doesnt tell me much
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:31 AM   #16
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Platitudes without specifics. What are we going to do better on offense? Tempo, running the ball? Defense? Turnovers, sacks?

I still dont know who he wants us to be as a team. What is going to be our identity going forward. Personally thats what i would like to hear so i know what to look forward to.

Just getting better doesnt tell me much
There's quite literally not one thing we couldn't do better.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:36 AM   #17
quhawks12
Quote:
That is very true.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:37 AM   #18
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
I know, but every coach has a vision or identity on what he wants his team to be. I just personally want to hear we are going to be an offense that pressures the D. We will make big plays in passing game. Or we are going to pressure the hell out of the qb etc

Just for example Groce was not shy about discussing the tempo and offense he envisioned. It gave me reason for optimism even before season started.

I am not sold yet on Tim Beckman so I would like to know what path he plans to take to get us better
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:40 AM   #19
quhawks12
Quote:
I know, but every coach has a vision or identity on what he wants his team to be. I just personally want to hear we are going to be an offense that pressures the D. We will make big plays in passing game. Or we are going to pressure the hell out of the qb etc

Just for example Groce was not shy about discussing the tempo and offense he envisioned. It gave me reason for optimism even before season started.

I am not sold yet on Tim Beckman so I would like to know what path he plans to take to get us better
I'd say that's a fair answer on what you wanted to hear.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:40 AM   #20
PVR
I've been really sour on this guy, but, I actually don't hate what I'm hearing in that interview. I think that for the most part he's owning this year's mess, and I can respect that. Regarding the "buy-in," and this is speculation, but maybe it was a country club under Zook, Beckman tried to change the culture, and some upper classmen fought it. In any case, I'm okay with Beckman getting another year. I believe he wants this and wants to be here. Marked improvement is a an absolute must though.
PVR is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:44 AM   #21
NorthwesternIllini4
Banned
Quote:

This is right on point with my feelings too. I love Beckman's energy, but energy but itself doesn't do much good. He must have, like you said, a vision- direction - a specific path in mind to get where we want to be. Maybe he just isn't great at articulating it, but I'm with you in hoping he has an idea as to what type of identity/brand he wants to build here.
NorthwesternIllini4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:53 AM   #22
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwesternIllini4 View Post
This is right on point with my feelings too. I love Beckman's energy, but energy but itself doesn't do much good. He must have, like you said, a vision- direction - a specific path in mind to get where we want to be. Maybe he just isn't great at articulating it, but I'm with you in hoping he has an idea as to what type of identity/brand he wants to build here.
Yeah, i'm badly in need of a confidence boost and I suspect there are others who need it as well. Its trivial i guess but i would feel better if Beckman was confident or even cocky about where we will be going in the near future
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:04 AM   #23
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Yeah, i'm badly in need of a confidence boost and I suspect there are others who need it as well. Its trivial i guess but i would feel better if Beckman was confident or even cocky about where we will be going in the near future
The same things you're hearing from Groce before/at the beginning of his first season are the same things Beckman said before/at the beginning of his.

As you said, I think you're being a bit trivial about wanting to hear specifics about next year before Christmas.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:06 AM   #24
quhawks12
Quote:
The same things you're hearing from Groce before/at the beginning of his first season are the same things Beckman said before/at the beginning of his.

As you said, I think you're being a bit trivial about wanting to hear specifics about next year before Christmas.
Groce is a little more open and direct with what he wants schematically. Makes him seem more confident in what he wants to do and how he's going to get there.

Minor but I've definitely noticed it.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:08 AM   #25
AHSIllini32
Banned
Also, if you want some confidence, why not look at our recruiting class?

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »