Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

12/22 Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:27 AM   #1
trevdv
trevdv's Avatar
Location: Champaign
Posts: 3,222
Big day around the college hoops landscape today:

- #3 Syracuse (10-0) vs. Temple (8-2) - 11:00 CST, ESPN2
- Murray State (9-1) @ Dayton (8-2) - 11:00 CST, CCS
- Texas (7-4) @ #20 Michigan State (10-2) - 1:00 CST, ESPN2
- LSU (7-1) @ Marquette (7-3) - 1:00 CST, ESPNU
- #9 Kansas (9-1) @ #7 Ohio State (9-1) - 3:00 CST, CBS
- Wright State (9-3) @ #11 Cincinnati (11-0) - 3:00 CST
- #8 Florida (8-1) @ Kansas State (8-2) - 7:00 CST, ESPN2
- Southern Miss (9-3) @ Wichita State (10-1) - 7:00 CST, FSN
- Miami FL (7-1) @ Hawaii (5-3) - 11:30 CST, ESPNU
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:31 AM   #2
lstewart53x3
lstewart53x3's Avatar
Location: Chambana
Posts: 1,524
Would love for Texas to beat MSU.

I don't know who to root for in the OSU - KU game...

KU stole our coach (it happens). OSU just recruited KBD right out from under us. I like Finke, but I never like to see a top 30 guy playing high school ball in downstate Illinois go elsewhere. Can I root for a tie in this one? LOL or would that make them both look sorta good?
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:48 AM   #3
DaytonIllini
DaytonIllini's Avatar
Posts: 19,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart53x3 View Post
Would love for Texas to beat MSU.

I don't know who to root for in the OSU - KU game...

KU stole our coach (it happens). OSU just recruited KBD right out from under us. I like Finke, but I never like to see a top 30 guy playing high school ball in downstate Illinois go elsewhere. Can I root for a tie in this one? LOL or would that make them both look sorta good?
It would be better for Illinois if MSU and OSU won so....

__________________
No nation can preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.
-- James Madison
DaytonIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:51 AM   #4
trevdv
trevdv's Avatar
Location: Champaign
Posts: 3,222
I think the Buckeyes will win by ten or eleven, because (1) they're at home, (2) they just had a real sloppy game against Winthrop, so they'll come out with more energy than usual, and (3) they nearly beat #1 Duke on the road.
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:52 AM   #5
trevdv
trevdv's Avatar
Location: Champaign
Posts: 3,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
It would be better for Illinois if MSU and OSU won so....
Why? That just pushes them closer to the top of the B1G standings, which is where we currently sit...
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:56 AM   #6
IlliniRunIn07
IlliniRunIn07's Avatar
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
Why? That just pushes them closer to the top of the B1G standings, which is where we currently sit...
Conference Standings are determined by conference play. Right now, everyone is in 1st place.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:58 AM   #7
trevdv
trevdv's Avatar
Location: Champaign
Posts: 3,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
Conference Standings are determined by conference play. Right now, everyone is in 1st place.
True, but I still like seeing this on ESPN.com.
Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(32.6 KB, 75 views)
 
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:01 AM   #8
IlliniRunIn07
IlliniRunIn07's Avatar
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
True, but I still like seeing this on ESPN.com.
No doubt, but I want every team we play this year to win every time we are not playing them. Since that's not possible in conference as teams will beat up in each other, I still want B1G teams to smack around teams from other conferences.

And just to prove there is an exception to every rule, Indiana does not apply in regards to the above.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:07 AM   #9
JimmyChitwood
JimmyChitwood's Avatar
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
True, but I still like seeing this on ESPN.com.
The only reason it is that way is because we are unbeaten and I comes before M in the alphabet. We want MSU and OSU to win. We arent leaving that spot on that ESPN chart until we lose a game so these other teams winning or losing will not change that. That spot is on us lol.
JimmyChitwood is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:14 AM   #10
trevdv
trevdv's Avatar
Location: Champaign
Posts: 3,222
Wow, how about Iowa?? 10-2 right now. Not exactly what I expected to see from them, thought they'd be worse than that. Then again, I don't know who they've played.
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:14 AM   #11
Wokker
Wokker's Avatar
Location: "The Good Land", WI
Posts: 1,669
Moral dilemma:

Root for K State (shudder) so Florida drops and we move up with a win?

Root against the former coach, because, well we all know why.

Thoughts?
Wokker is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:24 AM   #12
lstewart53x3
lstewart53x3's Avatar
Location: Chambana
Posts: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
It would be better for Illinois if MSU and OSU won so....
Yeah I understand RPI and everything, but personally, I would like for MSU and OSU to do terrible from now on, so that all the good players from Illinois come to Illinois.
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:26 AM   #13
lstewart53x3
lstewart53x3's Avatar
Location: Chambana
Posts: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokker View Post
Moral dilemma:

Root for K State (shudder) so Florida drops and we move up with a win?

Root against the former coach, because, well we all know why.

Thoughts?
It's not that I'm angry at our old coach for giving us the worst 5 year stretch of basketball in Illinois history, but I can't bring myself to root for KSU. If we win today, we'll for sure move up 1 spot because of the OSU game. I'm happy with that : )
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:28 AM   #14
troyk
Banned
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokker View Post
Moral dilemma:

Root for K State (shudder) so Florida drops and we move up with a win?

Root against the former coach, because, well we all know why.

Thoughts?
I don't think it makes a difference. He's gone and we have a better coach now. I don't wish him the best but I'm not going to actively root against the guy.

By the way, I read a piece on Dee Brown recently (it was written earlier this year while Brucie was still here) where Dee basically said Weber was a great guy, but just had no ability to control his mouth. Said he would always talk about players to the media about things that should not be said outside of the 'family'. Dee gets it. Bruce never did and never will. That's why he's no longer our coach.
troyk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:38 AM   #15
JSpence
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
Wow, how about Iowa?? 10-2 right now. Not exactly what I expected to see from them, thought they'd be worse than that. Then again, I don't know who they've played.
Pomeroy has their schedule at a top-25 worst (324) in CBB, which is on par with Mizzou at 317.

CBSSports RPI SOS is an entirely different story, but I don't put much stock in that.
JSpence is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:53 AM   #16
Archie
Banned
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
Big day around the college hoops landscape today:

- #3 Syracuse (10-0) vs. Temple (8-2) - 11:00 CST, ESPN2
- Murray State (9-1) @ Dayton (8-2) - 11:00 CST, CCS
- Texas (7-4) @ #20 Michigan State (10-2) - 1:00 CST, ESPN2
- LSU (7-1) @ Marquette (7-3) - 1:00 CST, ESPNU
- #9 Kansas (9-1) @ #7 Ohio State (9-1) - 3:00 CST, CBS
- Wright State (9-3) @ #11 Cincinnati (11-0) - 3:00 CST
- #8 Florida (8-1) @ Kansas State (8-2) - 7:00 CST, ESPN2
- Southern Miss (9-3) @ Wichita State (10-1) - 7:00 CST, FSN
- Miami FL (7-1) @ Hawaii (5-3) - 11:30 CST, ESPNU
Ole Bruce is going to suffer another loss
Archie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:56 AM   #17
Archie
Banned
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyk View Post
I don't think it makes a difference. He's gone and we have a better coach now. I don't wish him the best but I'm not going to actively root against the guy.

By the way, I read a piece on Dee Brown recently (it was written earlier this year while Brucie was still here) where Dee basically said Weber was a great guy, but just had no ability to control his mouth. Said he would always talk about players to the media about things that should not be said outside of the 'family'. Dee gets it. Bruce never did and never will. That's why he's no longer our coach.
So you don't believe Weber was let go due to the fact he wasn't winning?
Archie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:58 AM   #18
lstewart53x3
lstewart53x3's Avatar
Location: Chambana
Posts: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
So you don't believe Weber was let go due to the fact he wasn't winning?
Lol I was thinking the same thing, however; had Bruce not said some of the things to the media that he did, maybe our team doesn't give up, maybe they win more, and maybe he's still our coach.
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:01 AM   #19
Archie
Banned
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokker View Post
Moral dilemma:

Root for K State (shudder) so Florida drops and we move up with a win?

Root against the former coach, because, well we all know why.

Thoughts?
I will always root against Bruce Weber!

Florida is good. For Illinois to move past them they'll need to keep winning.

Rankings do mean something. It's important in regards to recuiting, and it means the program is relevant.
Archie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:02 AM   #20
Archie
Banned
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart53x3 View Post
Lol I was thinking the same thing, however; had Bruce not said some of the things to the media that he did, maybe our team doesn't give up, maybe they win more, and maybe he's still our coach.
Thomas was going to have "his" man no matter what.
Archie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:03 AM   #21
lstewart53x3
lstewart53x3's Avatar
Location: Chambana
Posts: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
Thomas was going to have "his" man no matter what.
Meh. If we don't collapse down the stretch last year, get in the tournament, and win a game or two, I believe BW would still be our coach.
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:06 AM   #22
ILLbill
Posts: 7
Looking forward to ku going down today!
ILLbill is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:09 AM   #23
Archie
Banned
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart53x3 View Post
Meh. If we don't collapse down the stretch last year, get in the tournament, and win a game or two, I believe BW would still be our coach.
I disagree, but that's neither here nor there.
Archie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:10 AM   #24
sapan1030
Banned
Posts: 828
If you haven't seen Michael Carter-Williams play yet, Syracuse is playing right now. Far and away the best PG in the nation. It is crazy how well he gets his guys the ball at the right time and in the right spots. And the craziest part is that he was listed as a shooting guard coming out of high school
sapan1030 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:11 AM   #25
Archie
Banned
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLbill View Post
Looking forward to ku going down today!
I don't see it that way - Kansas is too good in the interior. OSU has no one that can play with Jeff Whithey.

Kansas also has the experience in their guard play.
Archie is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump