Congratulations to the Loyola Ramblers for beating DePaul. :laugh:

Cully Payne had 24 points.

Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:51 PM   #2
pckldr
"Don't sleep on DePaul..."
pckldr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:20 PM   #3
DaytonIllini
KSU beats 4-9 UMKC (ranked 309 in KenPom) by the fun score of 52-44.

Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:27 PM   #4
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
KSU beats 4-9 UMKC (ranked 309 in KenPom) by the fun score of 52-44.
I sure don't miss those games. I felt worse after our 42-41 win over MSU last year than I have after some of our losses.

Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:20 PM   #5
PeoriaSteve
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb927 View Post
I sure don't miss those games. I felt worse after our 42-41 win over MSU last year than I have after some of our losses.
Messed up thinking since MSU ended up a high seed, but points are fun, I get that.
PeoriaSteve is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:50 PM   #6
danielb927
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaSteve View Post
Messed up thinking since MSU ended up a high seed, but points are fun, I get that.
I'm probably embellishing things in my mind, but what I remember felt like repeated gut punches followed by immense relief that it was over. It was just a rough game, especially in person. A win's a win but playing worse than expected means you're not as good a team as you thought, even if you squeak out a win.

Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Illini70math
Quote:
I'm probably embellishing things in my mind, but what I remember felt like repeated gut punches followed by immense relief that it was over. It was just a rough game, especially in person. A win's a win but playing worse than expected means you're not as good a team as you thought, even if you squeak out a win.
How does upsetting a strongly favored MSU team translate to "playing worse than expected"? We played an ugly game yesterday, but we won and that's what matters. Maybe you feel that playing bad defense is "prettier" than playing bad offense, but I just don't see why anyone would think that. Personal preference I guess.
Illini70math is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:31 AM   #8
danielb927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini70math View Post
How does upsetting a strongly favored MSU team translate to "playing worse than expected"? We played an ugly game yesterday, but we won and that's what matters. Maybe you feel that playing bad defense is "prettier" than playing bad offense, but I just don't see why anyone would think that. Personal preference I guess.
Like I said, mental embellishment. Until I looked back I'd forgotten that game was that much of an upset, to be honest. Between the blue-out and the low-score (and that being 10 months ago) I just remembered how weird it felt. Closing the season 1-9 after that didn't help, either - for me at least the success of the season tends to cloud my memory of individual games.

As for yesterday, which was a 5-7 point win save for some lucky Auburn threes at the end, you're right that the win is what matters, which is why you don't see me in the post-game thread complaining or anything like that. I try to take two things out of every game. The win or loss is what matters for the season, while the stats (scoring/defensive efficiency, rebounding, etc...) are a better indicator of progress and what we're likely to see going forward.

I'm not saying I favor bad defense over bad offense, doing neither is always the way to go. It's refreshing to see smoother offense this year just as it'd be refreshing to see hard-nosed defense if we'd had significant defensive problems for the last few years.

Last edited by danielb927; Dec 30, 2012 at 11:40 AM.
danielb927 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:27 PM   #9
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
I was at the MSU game. It was one of the ugliest offensive games I've seen in 45 years of watching CBB. Izzo even said as much during the postgame press conference. Good D, sure, but pathetic offensive display all around in terms of poor shooting, execution, ballhandling, decision making, you name it, and made worse by our slow-it-down-and-milk-the-shot-clock-without-ever-fast-breaking BW offense. It was akin to watching the Bears beat the Packers 3-0, more like 2-0 on a safety. Glad we won but also very glad I didn't have to pay for my ticket to the game. I'd have wanted my money back after watching such ineptitude.
HeartofaChampion is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:30 PM   #10
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
I'm not saying I favor bad defense over bad offense, doing neither is always the way to go. It's refreshing to see smoother offense this year just as it'd be refreshing to see hard-nosed defense if we'd had significant defensive problems for the last few years.
+1. Our D this year has been very good. Auburn was a rare exception to that. Difference has been our O has been better this year than last and more fun to watch due to the addition of a transition game and an attack-the-lane mentality and much more fun for the players to play this style, too.
HeartofaChampion is online now Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:50 PM   #11
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
How does upsetting a strongly favored MSU team translate to "playing worse than expected"?
Because we only won because MSU missed what seemed like several dozen point blank layups.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is online now Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »