Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

12/31 News & Notes

Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:33 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Groce no stranger to Big Ten play

"Fortuntely, I'm lucky because I went through it for four years (at Ohio State), although there's no question it's different as a head coach," Groce said.

"It's a grind. You talk about going through a deal where you can't get too high or too low.

"You play Tuesday or Wednesday, then you play Saturday or Sunday. And it's coming at you again and again, home and road, all of them fist fights.

"It's a great league. Toughness is really important. Execution is really important. And players making plays is important."

Tupper
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:04 AM   #2
frasergs
Man, you're up early to favor us with this nugget of info.
frasergs is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:23 AM   #3
Bubba Eder
I'm thankful for your dedication, Dan
Bubba Eder is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:08 AM   #4
frasergs
Ohio State at Illinois is Fox Sports #1 Game of the Week! How's that for exposure.

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/pa...1&gf=aggregate
frasergs is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:04 AM   #5
illinicb
I didn't give it a lot of weight at the time he was hired, but Groce's background as an assistant in the league has value (of course our prior coach did also) if for no other reason than knowing what it is like around the league. This also shows why you need good assistants to put together great scouting reports and help game plan.

Here's hoping they get off to a good start against Purdue.

Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:32 AM   #6
BenjIllini
Hoopin Groce Style
Quote:
Originally Posted by frasergs View Post
Ohio State at Illinois is Fox Sports #1 Game of the Week! How's that for exposure.

I clicked on the link and it had the Baylor/Texas game...who is that for Texas? He looks like he's 60:laugh:
BenjIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:40 AM   #7
illinicb
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjIllini View Post
I clicked on the link and it had the Baylor/Texas game...who is that for Texas? He looks like he's 60:laugh:
LOL. Looks like a photo from an alumni scrimmage.

Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:04 AM   #8
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by frasergs View Post

And B1G matchups take three of the top 5 games. Exciting week with all the conference slates getting underway!
AzIlliniFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:38 AM   #9
Groundhogday
Quote:
You talk about going through a deal where you can't get too high or too low.
This is my concern. Maybe we have been playing to the level of our competition, but perhaps we just don't know how to play well (or hard) consistently.

Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:23 AM   #10
PeoriaSteve
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
This is my concern. Maybe we have been playing to the level of our competition, but perhaps we just don't know how to play well (or hard) consistently.
So you think we should get too high or too low?
PeoriaSteve is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:40 AM   #11
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Maybe we have been playing to the level of our competition, but perhaps we just don't know how to play well (or hard) consistently.
I'd be more concerned if there were multiple games where we didn't play well OR hard. So far it's been the case that, even if we're not executing, we play pretty hard.

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:16 AM   #12
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaSteve View Post
So you think we should get too high or too low?
Just the opposite. Did you read my post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
I'd be more concerned if there were multiple games where we didn't play well OR hard. So far it's been the case that, even if we're not executing, we play pretty hard.
As a team we don't execute very well. This team depends to a great extend on great individual play. That is why when the energy isn't there (just about every game against a 150+ opponent since opening week), we struggle. So yes, there have been multiple games in which we lacked energy and execution.

We have to execute better down the stretch.

Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:40 AM   #13
Botb9
Realist
Playing hard all the time was a trademark of Chester Frazier-led teams. That's not a bad prognosis.

Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:02 PM   #14
alexander58
It will be interesting to see how teams game plan against Illinois. I m sure their focus will be Paul. I thought thats what allowed Abrams to get to the basket against Auburn. Other players are going to have to produce in conference games for Illinois to have a good year. I dont want to see Mc Camey revisited.
alexander58 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:07 PM   #15
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Conference Reset: Big Ten loaded and nation's best league

It is what we thought it was. The Big Ten is the best league in America with a half-dozen teams in our latest Top 25 (and one) and four among the first 10 teams in the rankings. Michigan and Indiana are clear national title contenders, and Illinois has shocked the nation as much as anyone as we are set to open league play. The sad part of the league is two of the teams hoping to make progress, Northwestern and Penn State, both lost their top players for the season due to injury. That'll likely create even more separation between the contenders and pretenders in the Big Ten -- and could result in six or even seven teams heading to the NCAA tourney come March.

Jeff Goodman
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:45 PM   #16
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
That is why when the energy isn't there (just about every game against a 150+ opponent since opening week), we struggle. So yes, there have been multiple games in which we lacked energy and execution.
Those cupcake games at the Hall kind of all blend together (with the exception of Gardner-Webb), so maybe you're right. I'm thinking more along the lines of the Mizzou, Hawaii and Auburn games.

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:54 PM   #17
PeoriaSteve
Banned
Quote:
Just the opposite. Did you read my post?

As a team we don't execute very well. This team depends to a great extend on great individual play. That is why when the energy isn't there (just about every game against a 150+ opponent since opening week), we struggle. So yes, there have been multiple games in which we lacked energy and execution.

We have to execute better down the stretch.
We're running a new system, so execution isn't going to be at a high level. Groce said we had great energy v. Auburn, just poor execution. Execution will get better as the team continues to get comfortable with what the coaches want, so the team should get better as the season goes on.
PeoriaSteve is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »