Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > General > Track 5 Chat

Dan Fogelberg's "Illinois"

Old Jun 4, 2017, 02:18 PM   #1
Illiini
Did you know that Dan Fogelberg has a song "Illinois"? For those of us who moved away, a little homesickness. https://youtu.be/ES2d2qS3WSU

He's from Peoria...

Last edited by Dan; Jun 6, 2017 at 02:30 PM.
Illiini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2017, 07:18 PM   #2
CHI 1086
We Ready
Dan Folgelburg and U of I

I saw him play at the Assembly Hall in the late 70s. He did not play the song "Illinois" despite begging from the crowd. His father, who taught music in Peoria, was in the front row and DF sang "Leader of the Band" to him. Not a dry eye in the house. BTW, he attended U of I and was a non-initiated member of my fraternity, who painted a mural on the wall of his room. The house has since been torn down and rebuilt. He did not initiate because he left school. Little know factoid. He had some falling out with some entity at the school and left on bad terms. That is the suspected reason that he did not play "Illinois"
CHI 1086 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2017, 07:58 PM   #3
carmelillini
Irving Azoff's first meal ticket.
carmelillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2017, 08:03 PM   #4
Stevegarbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI 1086 View Post
I saw him play at the Assembly Hall in the late 70s. He did not play the song "Illinois" despite begging from the crowd. His father, who taught music in Peoria, was in the front row and DF sang "Leader of the Band" to him. Not a dry eye in the house. BTW, he attended U of I and was a non-initiated member of my fraternity, who painted a mural on the wall of his room. The house has since been torn down and rebuilt. He did not initiate because he left school. Little know factoid. He had some falling out with some entity at the school and left on bad terms. That is the suspected reason that he did not play "Illinois"

Lambda Chi was torn down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevegarbs is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2017, 08:30 PM   #5
CHI 1086
We Ready
We tore down the original house and rebuilt...underground parking-the works!
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:06 AM   #6
Stevegarbs
Quote:
We tore down the original house and rebuilt...underground parking-the works!
Nice.
Stevegarbs is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2017, 06:00 PM   #7
CHI 1086
We Ready
Thanks. Ribbon cutting in Aug, I think.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 01:27 PM   #8
Illiini
Quote:
Interesting story. I'll pass that along to my wife who is a big fan.
Illiini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2017, 02:50 PM   #9
champaignchris
The grocery store parking lot he refers to in "Same Old Lang Syne" is the lot on the southwest corner of Green and Neil where there's a CVS now. Was an Eisner's back in the day, I believe.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar9Ip7pSqEg
champaignchris is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2017, 08:16 AM   #10
archgrad2006
Just curious, where did you get this info? If true, that's really interesting. My dad and I are big Fogelberg fans and it would be awesome to be able to point that out to him when we're there to watch the IU-UI game in November.

archgrad2006 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2017, 08:22 AM   #11
archgrad2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by archgrad2006 View Post
Just curious, where did you get this info? If true, that's really interesting. My dad and I are big Fogelberg fans and it would be awesome to be able to point that out to him when we're there to watch the IU-UI game in November.

I just googled it myself. For anyone else interested, Fogelberg said this himself at his last (1993) performance at Assembly Hall.

archgrad2006 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2017, 09:43 PM   #12
Custard
Banned
Just got to looking into this and apparently after his death the woman from the song came forward and said it actually took place in Peoria
Custard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:45 PM   #13
CHI 1086
We Ready
I had always heard that it was Peoria as well. FWLIW.

« Previous Thread | General Chat | Next Thread »