Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > General > Track 5 Chat

Dan Fogelberg's "Illinois"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jun 4, 2017, 02:18 PM   #1
Illiini
Illiini's Avatar
Location: In the land of the Nittany Lion
Posts: 77
Did you know that Dan Fogelberg has a song "Illinois"? For those of us who moved away, a little homesickness. https://youtu.be/ES2d2qS3WSU

He's from Peoria...

Last edited by Dan; Jun 6, 2017 at 02:30 PM.
Illiini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2017, 07:18 PM   #2
CHI 1086
We Ready
Location: Merced CA
Posts: 8
Dan Folgelburg and U of I

I saw him play at the Assembly Hall in the late 70s. He did not play the song "Illinois" despite begging from the crowd. His father, who taught music in Peoria, was in the front row and DF sang "Leader of the Band" to him. Not a dry eye in the house. BTW, he attended U of I and was a non-initiated member of my fraternity, who painted a mural on the wall of his room. The house has since been torn down and rebuilt. He did not initiate because he left school. Little know factoid. He had some falling out with some entity at the school and left on bad terms. That is the suspected reason that he did not play "Illinois"
CHI 1086 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2017, 07:58 PM   #3
carmelillini
carmelillini's Avatar
Location: Chambana
Posts: 3,591
Irving Azoff's first meal ticket.
carmelillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2017, 08:03 PM   #4
Stevegarbs
Stevegarbs's Avatar
Location: Mokena, IL
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI 1086 View Post
I saw him play at the Assembly Hall in the late 70s. He did not play the song "Illinois" despite begging from the crowd. His father, who taught music in Peoria, was in the front row and DF sang "Leader of the Band" to him. Not a dry eye in the house. BTW, he attended U of I and was a non-initiated member of my fraternity, who painted a mural on the wall of his room. The house has since been torn down and rebuilt. He did not initiate because he left school. Little know factoid. He had some falling out with some entity at the school and left on bad terms. That is the suspected reason that he did not play "Illinois"


Lambda Chi was torn down?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevegarbs is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2017, 08:30 PM   #5
CHI 1086
We Ready
Location: Merced CA
Posts: 8
We tore down the original house and rebuilt...underground parking-the works!
CHI 1086 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:06 AM   #6
Stevegarbs
Stevegarbs's Avatar
Location: Mokena, IL
Posts: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI 1086 View Post
We tore down the original house and rebuilt...underground parking-the works!
Nice.
Stevegarbs is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2017, 06:00 PM   #7
CHI 1086
We Ready
Location: Merced CA
Posts: 8
Thanks. Ribbon cutting in Aug, I think.
CHI 1086 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2017, 01:27 PM   #8
Illiini
Illiini's Avatar
Location: In the land of the Nittany Lion
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHI 1086 View Post
I saw him play at the Assembly Hall in the late 70s. He did not play the song "Illinois" despite begging from the crowd. His father, who taught music in Peoria, was in the front row and DF sang "Leader of the Band" to him. Not a dry eye in the house. BTW, he attended U of I and was a non-initiated member of my fraternity, who painted a mural on the wall of his room. The house has since been torn down and rebuilt. He did not initiate because he left school. Little know factoid. He had some falling out with some entity at the school and left on bad terms. That is the suspected reason that he did not play "Illinois"
Interesting story. I'll pass that along to my wife who is a big fan.
Illiini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2017, 02:50 PM   #9
champaignchris
Posts: 1,670
The grocery store parking lot he refers to in "Same Old Lang Syne" is the lot on the southwest corner of Green and Neil where there's a CVS now. Was an Eisner's back in the day, I believe.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar9Ip7pSqEg
champaignchris is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2017, 08:16 AM   #10
archgrad2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 5
Just curious, where did you get this info? If true, that's really interesting. My dad and I are big Fogelberg fans and it would be awesome to be able to point that out to him when we're there to watch the IU-UI game in November.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
archgrad2006 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2017, 08:22 AM   #11
archgrad2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by archgrad2006 View Post
Just curious, where did you get this info? If true, that's really interesting. My dad and I are big Fogelberg fans and it would be awesome to be able to point that out to him when we're there to watch the IU-UI game in November.

I just googled it myself. For anyone else interested, Fogelberg said this himself at his last (1993) performance at Assembly Hall.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
archgrad2006 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2017, 09:43 PM   #12
Custard
Banned
Posts: 48
Just got to looking into this and apparently after his death the woman from the song came forward and said it actually took place in Peoria
Custard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:45 PM   #13
CHI 1086
We Ready
Location: Merced CA
Posts: 8
I had always heard that it was Peoria as well. FWLIW.
CHI 1086 is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | General Chat | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump