Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Improvements for 2013 Football Team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:46 PM   #76
HsvIllini
HsvIllini's Avatar
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
Beckman and Thomas aren't losing sleep over this. Especially since they had their new guy lined up the next day. And if it is who we think it is then its a major upgrade.
+1
HsvIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:57 PM   #77
GilThorpe
GilThorpe's Avatar
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 1,414
goal setting is important, but if they are not realistic goals, you will always be failing

goal #1.........a winning record and a bowl game
goal #2.........win the bowl game
goal #3.........win the division
goal #4.........win the B1G
goal #5.........win a NC

if you want to ignore goal 1,2 & 3 every year and simply focus on the B1G or NC, you will feel like you failed just about every year. Of course you set the bar as high as you can, but lets not pretend a NC is what this program is realistically setting its sights on. We need to win our friggin division a couple times first.
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:01 PM   #78
I Hate Lemonier
I Hate Lemonier's Avatar
Posts: 3,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
We need to win our friggin division a couple times first.

Or a conference game or two
I Hate Lemonier is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:06 PM   #79
Groundhogday
Groundhogday's Avatar
Posts: 22,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
Beckman and Thomas aren't losing sleep over this. Especially since they had their new guy lined up the next day. And if it is who we think it is then its a major upgrade.
The longer it goes without any more rumors, the more likely it is that the initial story is correct. It sure feels like Beckman locked up his guy on day 1 of the search.

__________________
ONLY ORANGE!
Groundhogday is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:20 PM   #80
ncoillini
ncoillini's Avatar
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
The longer it goes without any more rumors, the more likely it is that the initial story is correct. It sure feels like Beckman locked up his guy on day 1 of the search.

Who, please? I have not heard anything.
ncoillini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:58 PM   #81
GilThorpe
GilThorpe's Avatar
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoillini View Post
Who, please? I have not heard anything.
rumor has Cubit to be our next OC and Mike Sullivan, who coached OL for Cubit at WMU in 05-06 and has been the OL coach at SanDiego Chargers for Norv Turner the last 3 years, as our next OL coach
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:04 PM   #82
HsvIllini
HsvIllini's Avatar
Location: Alabama
Posts: 3,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
rumor has Cubit to be our next OC and Mike Sullivan, who coached OL for Cubit at WMU in 05-06 and has been the OL coach at SanDiego Chargers for Norv Turner the last 3 years, as our next OL coach
Has there been anymore on Sullivan? That was just speculation as to who it was, no name ever leaked did it?
HsvIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:05 PM   #83
ncoillini
ncoillini's Avatar
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
rumor has Cubit to be our next OC and Mike Sullivan, who coached OL for Cubit at WMU in 05-06 and has been the OL coach at SanDiego Chargers for Norv Turner the last 3 years, as our next OL coach

Thank you. In your opinion, does this help the ILLINI? I know a little about each. I guess we have no place to go but up!
ncoillini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:28 PM   #84
OrangeandBlue4eva
Location: Secretcity
Posts: 1,964
Will Cubit hire become official tomorrow or early this week sometime?
OrangeandBlue4eva is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:22 PM   #85
Warriors1994
Posts: 2,325
one more thing, lets try to average more than 1.6yds for punt returns
Warriors1994 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:32 PM   #86
quhawks12
Location: Hamilton County, IN
Posts: 4,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors1994 View Post
one more thing, lets try to average more than 1.6yds for punt returns
I don't give a damn if they average 0. Just don't fumble/muff/drop any of them.
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:44 PM   #87
Warriors1994
Posts: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
I don't give a damn if they average 0. Just don't fumble/muff/drop any of them.
LOL you are right!!!! I guess you have to catch the ball before you can return it. do you know how many we did muff/fumble last year?
Warriors1994 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:19 PM   #88
SteakSandwich
Location: Danville, IL
Posts: 110
My biggest beef with the offense last year was the 1st and goal shotgun formation everytime. The concept causes fieldgoals and not touchdowns which causes losses. Hopefully Cubit is the answer and understands runningbacks need to be running down hill to score.
SteakSandwich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:21 PM   #89
PaytonHighstep
Location: Downers Grove, IL
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteakSandwich View Post
My biggest beef with the offense last year was the 1st and goal shotgun formation everytime. The concept causes fieldgoals and not touchdowns which causes losses. Hopefully Cubit is the answer and understands runningbacks need to be running down hill to score.
I would agree, but it doesn't matter what formations you run on the goalline or inside the 10 if you can't block.
PaytonHighstep is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:23 PM   #90
SteakSandwich
Location: Danville, IL
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaytonHighstep View Post
I would agree, but it doesn't matter what formations you run on the goalline or inside the 10 if you can't block.
I agree we couldn't block but that's even more of a reason not to be in that shotgun.
SteakSandwich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:31 PM   #91
PaytonHighstep
Location: Downers Grove, IL
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteakSandwich View Post
I agree we couldn't block but that's even more of a reason not to be in that shotgun.
I know, but it doesn't matter. The OL wasn't moving anyone anywhere, so it is irrelevant what formation was used.
PaytonHighstep is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:21 PM   #92
Warriors1994
Posts: 2,325
I was wondering if anyone had the rankings of total offense, total defense and special teams from last year, I know they were low but just want to see what exactly they were.
Warriors1994 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:58 PM   #93
Calilama
Banned
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
Beckman and Thomas aren't losing sleep over this. Especially since they had their new guy lined up the next day. And if it is who we think it is then its a major upgrade.
I missed this q.....referring to Sullivan??....if so then I'm sure they still aren't losing sleep but you might be overestimating how attractive the position is and how easy it will be to fill it with a major upgrade....sort of like our head coaching spot...how far did we go down the list til we found our guy?...and did Sullivan take a pass because he had happy feet about booking a berth on the Titanic?...I would like to think that's not it and the pro job was just too good to pass on.

In any event I'm hoping for big improvement on the OL for both the Illini and the Bears...no where to go but up!

Last edited by Calilama; Jan 18, 2013 at 08:11 PM.
Calilama is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:16 PM   #94
Calilama
Banned
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander1345 View Post
Teams don't run the spread in the NFL? Which NFL have you been watching?
Lots of teams run 4 receiver sets....other than Carolina and Cam Newton who is running the college variety spread option which is what I was referencing
Calilama is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:56 PM   #95
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilama View Post
I missed this q.....referring to Sullivan??....if so then I'm sure they still aren't losing sleep but you might be overestimating how attractive the position is and how easy it will be to fill it with a major upgrade....sort of like our head coaching spot...how far did we go down the list til we found our guy?...and did Sullivan take a pass because he had happy feet about booking a berth on the Titanic?...I would like to think that's not it and the pro job was just too good to pass on.

In any event I'm hoping for big improvement on the OL for both the Illini and the Bears...no where to go but up!
We went to our 2nd or 3rd choice at worst
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:58 PM   #96
I Hate Lemonier
I Hate Lemonier's Avatar
Posts: 3,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors1994 View Post
I was wondering if anyone had the rankings of total offense, total defense and special teams from last year, I know they were low but just want to see what exactly they were.
Our F/+ rankings for last year were:

Offense 118

Defense 69

Special Teams 110
I Hate Lemonier is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:00 PM   #97
I Hate Lemonier
I Hate Lemonier's Avatar
Posts: 3,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
We went to our 2nd or 3rd choice at worst
Yeah i have to agree here. After Sumlin I didn't see any evidence of another candidate above Beckman.

Texas A&M opening up was the only thing between us and Sumlin IMO.
I Hate Lemonier is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:47 PM   #98
Calilama
Banned
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
We went to our 2nd or 3rd choice at worst
So at best Beckman was the guy Thomas wanted all along......that's sobering
Calilama is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:53 PM   #99
Warriors1994
Posts: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Lemonier View Post
Our F/+ rankings for last year were:

Offense 118

Defense 69

Special Teams 110
thanks,
My goal, which might stretch it a bit will be
Offense-top 85
Defense- top 55
ST- top 80

If we do this in my opinion we win at least 4 games and show enough improvement to show hope
Warriors1994 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:06 PM   #100
Calilama
Banned
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors1994 View Post
thanks,
My goal, which might stretch it a bit will be
Offense-top 85
Defense- top 55
ST- top 80

If we do this in my opinion we win at least 4 games and show enough improvement to show hope
We need a Barry Alvarez, an AA and student body supportive and committed to winning over the long term...it would also be nice if we had to expand our stadium instead of shrinking it down

...and maybe Beckman is our Barry Alvarez but he really had a rough year and seems to have lost a good piece of the fan base....
Calilama is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump