Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Improvements for 2013 Football Team

Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:59 PM   #101
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Lemonier View Post
Yeah i have to agree here. After Sumlin I didn't see any evidence of another candidate above Beckman.

Texas A&M opening up was the only thing between us and Sumlin IMO.
On the flip side, there is reason to think that Texas A&M opening up might have been the only thing between Sumlin and failure.

Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:10 AM   #102
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
On the flip side, there is reason to think that Texas A&M opening up might have been the only thing between Sumlin and failure.
Or our next Mike White, we will never know
I Hate Lemonier is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:32 AM   #103
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors1994 View Post
thanks,
My goal, which might stretch it a bit will be
Offense-top 85
Defense- top 55
ST- top 80

If we do this in my opinion we win at least 4 games and show enough improvement to show hope
I think offensively and special teams your goals are achievable and maybe even likely.

Defensively i think we will take a substantial step backward though. We just lose too much ability on that side of the ball. Our front 4 and secondary will be almost completely new starters along with replacing one of our most productive players last year Ashante Williams.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:15 AM   #104
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
I think offensively and special teams your goals are achievable and maybe even likely.

Defensively i think we will take a substantial step backward though. We just lose too much ability on that side of the ball. Our front 4 and secondary will be almost completely new starters along with replacing one of our most productive players last year Ashante Williams.
Maybe that will be offset by our younger guys buying into Banks system
Calilama is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:24 AM   #105
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilama View Post
Maybe that will be offset by our younger guys buying into Banks system
Lets hope. There will certainly be some growing pains with all the youth
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:00 AM   #106
Groundhogday
Quote:
Lets hope. There will certainly be some growing pains with all the youth
Yeh, if the younger guys buy and/or fit into the system, that will start to pay some dividends in 2014. This year is probably going to be rough.

Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:43 AM   #107
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Yeh, if the younger guys buy and/or fit into the system, that will start to pay some dividends in 2014. This year is probably going to be rough.
Agreed. There is some talent there at all 3 levels but it is raw. Linebackers could be very good but as we have seen, if the DL doesnt keep the offensive lineman occupied, the linebackers wont be much help
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:35 PM   #108
The Galloping Ghost 77
Illini football needs a montage. That's the only way to get good at anything really quickly. And we need that for sure.

Montage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU9Uwhjlog8
The Galloping Ghost 77 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:16 PM   #109
blmillini
Quote:

I agree and I think it is related to scheme. I don't think we have the athletes to be able to play the way this coaching staff appears to prefer. I see our defense moving fairly quickly to the bottom of the NCAA rankings and our offense/special teams slowly moving up the chain. Unfortunately, the combination means at least a few more years of miserable football.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:28 PM   #110
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
I agree and I think it is related to scheme. I don't think we have the athletes to be able to play the way this coaching staff appears to prefer. I see our defense moving fairly quickly to the bottom of the NCAA rankings and our offense/special teams slowly moving up the chain. Unfortunately, the combination means at least a few more years of miserable football.
There are so many key parts who will be taking their first snaps of D1 football this fall on defense that it will surely be a bumpy ride on that side of the ball.

Best case scenario is that all the Juco's are able to start immediately, but i'm not sure that is a realistic expectation. I still believe Cajuste is the most important player on D in the fall. He needs to be really good for us to be competitive up front IMO
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:32 PM   #111
Groundhogday
Quote:
There are so many key parts who will be taking their first snaps of D1 football this fall on defense that it will surely be a bumpy ride on that side of the ball.

Best case scenario is that all the Juco's are able to start immediately, but i'm not sure that is a realistic expectation. I still believe Cajuste is the most important player on D in the fall. He needs to be really good for us to be competitive up front IMO
Did we ever get confirmation of Bain moving to NG?

Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:43 PM   #112
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Did we ever get confirmation of Bain moving to NG?
I haven't seen any mention of it since it was first brought up

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »