Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Luke Butkus to FIU. Now, Luke Butkus to the Jacksonville Jaguars

Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Sources tell us Illinois OL coach Luke Butkus will join Ron Turner's staff at FIU http://FootballScoop.com/the-scoop

http://twitter.com/footballscoop
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:39 PM   #2
HsvIllini
Interesting
HsvIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:39 PM   #3
DanvIllini
Super Lurker
not surprising...
DanvIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:40 PM   #4
illinidarrin
That is interesting. I wonder who we will get next?
illinidarrin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:46 PM   #5
KansasIllini
As far as assistant coaches leaving, this one is absolutely killer in my mind. Granted, we didn't have enough time to see what he can or cannot do as a coach, but to lose a former player, especially one with the name Butkus, doesn't speak very well, and pretty much sums up the current state of the program
KansasIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:47 PM   #6
RyanK
My guess is that if another coach is leaving, it will be leaked around noon Saturday.
RyanK is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:52 PM   #7
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
My guess is that if another coach is leaving, it will be leaked around noon Saturday.
Is that a strong hint?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:55 PM   #8
-josh-
Banana no more
That makes wanting him fired a lot less awkward now. Good luck to the fella.

Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:00 PM   #9
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
Is that a strong hint?
Nope, sorry. The news of both coaches leaving both came about an hour before basketball tip off against a top 10 opponent. It reminds me of teams firing coaches on Friday so weekend news will slide the news under the rug. Who knows, maybe just coincidence.
RyanK is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:03 PM   #10
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Nope, sorry. The news of both coaches leaving both came about an hour before basketball tip off against a top 10 opponent. It reminds me of teams firing coaches on Friday so weekend news will slide the news under the rug. Who knows, maybe just coincidence.
Wow - coincidence maybe, but an interesting observation nonetheless.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:13 PM   #11
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasIllini View Post
As far as assistant coaches leaving, this one is absolutely killer in my mind. Granted, we didn't have enough time to see what he can or cannot do as a coach, but to lose a former player, especially one with the name Butkus, doesn't speak very well, and pretty much sums up the current state of the program
I think you're overstating it a bit...quite a bit in fact.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:16 PM   #12
Illini87InClt
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
I was thinking exactly the same. It's better that Luke Butkus moved on his own than being fired. I'm glad that Luke Butkus was given the opportunity to find a position.
Illini87InClt is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:35 PM   #13
AngryOrange
Quote:
I think this hurts, but in a different manner. Butkus was our primary Chicagoland recruiter, and now the staff will have to re-establish some relationships that Butkus had already worked on. The new hire will need to have some relationships there to avoid falling backwards. From a personal level, I hate it since I went to school with him and wanted to see him do well. From a career perspective, I think this is a good move for him.
AngryOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:02 PM   #14
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryOrange View Post
I think this hurts, but in a different manner. Butkus was our primary Chicagoland recruiter, and now the staff will have to re-establish some relationships that Butkus had already worked on.
+1

Butkus looked to be an emerging recruiting force and with the loss of Beatty we have now lost the two primary recruiters for AB. Hopefully his commitment remains strong.
I Hate Lemonier is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:11 PM   #15
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Just confirmed Luke Butkus to Florida International as run game coordinator. Makes perfect sense.

http://twitter.com/BobAsmussen
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:12 PM   #16
AHSIllini32
Banned
So it seems Turner offered him a bit of a promotion after only one mediocre at best season as a college coach?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:13 PM   #17
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Don't be surprised if Ron Turner hires more former Illini to his new staff.

http://twitter.com/BobAsmussen
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:14 PM   #18
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryOrange View Post
I think this hurts, but in a different manner. Butkus was our primary Chicagoland recruiter, and now the staff will have to re-establish some relationships that Butkus had already worked on. The new hire will need to have some relationships there to avoid falling backwards. From a personal level, I hate it since I went to school with him and wanted to see him do well. From a career perspective, I think this is a good move for him.
It is good for Luke in the sense that he will get some OC responsibilities under Turner right out of the gate and more freedom to coach, given their history together.....it is bad because Butkus belongs at Illinois...he's young and he will be back....it's also a chance for Beckman to hire an OL coach with more experience with his style of play and coaching style
Calilama is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:15 PM   #19
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Lemonier View Post
+1

Butkus looked to be an emerging recruiting force and with the loss of Beatty we have now lost the two primary recruiters for AB. Hopefully his commitment remains strong.
Butkus, according to Rivals, recruited Hinkhouse, Bailey, Panfil, and Bryce Douglas...I wouldn't say he was emerging as a recruiting force.

Bailey was reported as being "all-in" on the Illini in a tweet by a recruiting guy (I can't remember who) after Beatty was let go so I don't think losing Butkus would change that.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:18 PM   #20
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
So it seems Turner offered him a bit of a promotion after only one mediocre at best season as a college coach?
Maybe Turner knows more about what was going on with Luke's " mediocre" season than we do
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:25 PM   #21
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Butkus, according to Rivals, recruited Hinkhouse, Bailey, Panfil, and Bryce Douglas...I wouldn't say he was emerging as a recruiting force.

Bailey was reported as being "all-in" on the Illini in a tweet by a recruiting guy (I can't remember who) after Beatty was let go so I don't think losing Butkus would change that.
4 recruits including our top recruit in his first year as an assistant is pretty good. Hopefully this changes nothing with Bailey's commitment as I said but that reaffirmation came before this release.
I Hate Lemonier is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:29 PM   #22
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasIllini View Post
I think this is a move that is best for everyone involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -josh- View Post
That makes wanting him fired a lot less awkward now. Good luck to the fella.
Yes, it would have been VERY awkward to let a guy go with the name Butkus.

Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:32 PM   #23
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
I think this is a move that is best for everyone involved.

Yes, it would have been VERY awkward to let a guy go with the name Butkus.
I'm with you on this one GHD....never easy being an Illini fan
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:32 PM   #24
Groundhogday
Quote:

Butkus was the one guy on staff who was from Illinois. That will hurt, but by now all of the staff have had time to build ties to the state.

I don't see Bailey changing his commitment.

Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:33 PM   #25
MitchP1
This was only a matter of time. Butkus couldn't stand working for Beckman I just can't believe it took this long.
MitchP1 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »