Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

Illinois Student Senate Looking for Mascot Ideas via "Campus Spirit Revival"

Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:33 PM   #1
chief3469
This was sent to all current students and young alumni on the Illinois Listserv. Hopefully nothing serious comes of it, but I figure everyone here might be interested in this little undertaking.

Quote:
"The Illinois Student Senate would like to invite students to provide feedback to current submissions and to offer submissions to the Campus Spirit Revival student organization's goal of proposing a new mascot to the University Administration.

Campus Spirit Revival is a student initiative searching for the next symbol for the University of Illinois, where there currently is none.

Students are encouraged to brainstorm ideas for a new symbol and/or mascot, and send in their idea in the form of a visual .jpg image (computer designed or a picture of a drawing) along with a description of it's significance to U of I CampusSpiritRevival@gmail.com, by January 27th 2013. All contest rules and information are on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/CampusSpiritRevival), and all entries submitted will be posted in the photos section.

January 30th-February 1st, all students will be able to vote via vote.illinois.edu by logging in with their netID, and selecting and ranking their top 5 favorite ideas. February 7th, results will be announced to the public, a report will be presented to the University Administration for consideration, and the $200 prize will be awarded to the top vote getter.

All contest rules are in the information section of our facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/CampusSpiritRevival/info)."

Last edited by Dan; Jan 11, 2013 at 11:58 AM.
chief3469 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:38 PM   #2
-josh-
Calm, Collected, German.
My vote is a baby dressed in orange and blue onsie crying emphatically.

Or since this is Illinois, politician behind jail bars...

Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:40 PM   #3
SixthandWhite
They've tried this idea before and everything they came up with was super lame.

Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:54 AM   #4
illinifan31
Orange Krush Cow
Haha this facebook anti-campus revial group already has more than the campus revival group. https://www.facebook.com/StopCampusS...val?group_id=0
illinifan31 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Dan
Admin
Looks we have a Twitter account-

https://twitter.com/chiefilliniwek

And a petition-

Quote:
Petition: Do not elect a new mascot to replace Chief Illiniwek via "Campus Spirit Revival"

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/d...ace-the-chief/
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:23 PM   #6
BleedOrangeBlue
Pretty silly to try and prevent Chief Illiniwek from being replaced, considering he's already been gone for years now. I mean, there are already t-shirts that say "Remember the Chief" or whatever on them. Pretty much everybody acts like he's already gone. Now we need confirmation?
BleedOrangeBlue is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:46 PM   #7
jrichisamazing
I'm interested to see how this turns out. A college mascot is not only a symbol of the team, but the university as a whole. A mascot for a professional team could be pretty much anything, like the Philedalphia Phillies mascot, because they for entertainment only. Many college mascots are kind of sacred in a way, just like Chief Illiniwek. I'm thinking of mascots like the bulldog for UGA, the seminole who rides on a horse for FSU, the caged tiger for LSU, etc. I can't wait to see what types of mascots are on the voting ballot, but I do think this has a better chance of crashing and burning than it does to succeed.
jrichisamazing is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:18 PM   #8
Warriors1994
This better not happen or the school will be divided from alumni and the students and even the students will be divided. There is no way something positive comes from this.
Warriors1994 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:16 AM   #9
RaySouffle
The Fighting Illini is such a unique name in the college landscape, so it cannot change. I'm not sure if I'd be down for a new mascot but if this were to happen it would have to be in line with the school's heritage and tradition. One of the Illini legends turned into a mascot could have some appeal, serving to connect the old with the new while being fearsome at the same time and attaining a visual and "intimidating" presence on the court/field.

Some listed here could work:

http://www.native-languages.org/illini-legends.htm

The Piasa Bird might be the best since it isn't actually true/connected to religious traditions which might minimize problems with it receiving backing. And it would allow for a presentation during the game and could be cool if done well. Anybody think that'd have any chance? Or just about the same as the Chief being revived?

At the end of the day, if we can't get him back, I'd love to see us continue to 'boost our stock', so to speak, with more traditions to rally around, as long as it fell in line with our past heritage and didn't represent a departure in a new direction, but rather an addition to what already exists. There will never be a replacement for the Chief.
RaySouffle is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Ander1345
Why not just an Eagle? It's on the state flag... and would go with our "One team. One State" slogan.

Any new mascot would just be in "unofficial mascot purgatory" unless everyone fell in love with it.
Ander1345 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:11 AM   #11
zcurtis89
I'm not against it at all i mean the chief isn't coming back so why don't we just move on?? Here are a few of my favorites that could be possible

Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:37 PM   #12
Prairie Spirit
Banned
NO

No mascot. We had an honorable symbol. It was taken away for dishonorable and disingenuous reasons. No "replacement". No mascot.
Prairie Spirit is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:08 PM   #13
Redfoxdogs
No.
Redfoxdogs is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:40 PM   #14
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
The reason I'm against the current initiative is because I suspect that it's associated with the department of Native American Studies. If that is true, that means it is likely directed by Robert Warrior , who wants to remove all trace of Chief from the University, including the 3-in-1. They've got a web page with a lot of misinformation and revisionist history, including referring to Chief as a "mascot," rather than as a symbol.

http://www.ais.illinois.edu/mascot/

ps--before I start getting flamed, I have nothing against that department other than the way Warrior has gone about his campaign against Chief.
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:36 AM   #15
orangeBlue
Banned
Perhaps a politician dressed in orange and blue stripes behind pars crying emphtatically?
orangeBlue is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:47 AM   #16
Oskeefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeBlue View Post
Perhaps a politician dressed in orange and blue stripes behind pars crying emphtatically?
:laugh:
Oskeefan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:02 AM   #17
orangeBlue
Banned
That dear with the antlers? Convulsed with laughter. If our football team does not get us laughed off the field, that mascot certainly would. Thanks for the good belly laugh
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:05 AM   #18
orangeBlue
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
The reason I'm against the current initiative is because I suspect that it's associated with the department of Native American Studies. If that is true, that means it is likely directed by Robert Warrior , who wants to remove all trace of Chief from the University, including the 3-in-1. They've got a web page with a lot of misinformation and revisionist history, including referring to Chief as a "mascot," rather than as a symbol.

ps--before I start getting flamed, I have nothing against that department other than the way Warrior has gone about his campaign against Chief.

The guy has three degree in Divinity from three prestigious Universities, that in and by itself should disqualify him from speaking on this issue. In fairness, he was once denied tenure by the English department at Stanford.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:29 AM   #19
IllininVA
Quote:

+1 I vote No!
IllininVA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:56 PM   #20
pizzaman
The UI has a symbol, Chief Illiniwek. Currently, he just can't appear in person or on clothing and uniforms.

I still believe all this PC nonsense will eventually die and the Chief will be back. Eventually, a new generation will wonder why the University doesn't honor its symbol. Things change with time.
pizzaman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:47 PM   #21
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
The UI has a symbol, Chief Illiniwek. Currently, he just can't appear in person or on clothing and uniforms.

I still believe all this PC nonsense will eventually die and the Chief will be back. Eventually, a new generation will wonder why the University doesn't honor its symbol. Things change with time.
It's my belief that the folks behind this current push understand the bolded and want to put something else in place to ensure that there isn't an "open spot" for Chief to return to.
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:59 PM   #22
skamin7
I don't ever want a replacement just a reinstatement.
skamin7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:27 AM   #23
pizzaman
Quote:
It's my belief that the folks behind this current push understand the bolded and want to put something else in place to ensure that there isn't an "open spot" for Chief to return to.
I agree. That's why a new symbol of the University is not acceptable.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:20 AM   #24
pizzaman
Sign the petition if you honor the Chief.
link: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/d...the-chief/?m=0
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:21 AM   #25
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeBlue View Post
That dear with the antlers? Convulsed with laughter. If our football team does not get us laughed off the field, that mascot certainly would. Thanks for the good belly laugh
That really is the deer from the Jagermeister bottle isn't it?
HsvIllini is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | General Sports Chat | Next Thread »