Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Proposed UNLV football stadium to feature 100-yard-long scoreboard

Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Ray Brewer: New stadium would be major score for city, instant program changer for UNLV football

Instead, the facility is envisioned to host multiple events, generate nearly $400 million annually and be a boost to the tourism industry not only on the Strip but regionally, as well.

Among the events UNLV Nowís planners hope to draw are a neutral-site football game for BYU, the Las Vegas Bowl and a second college bowl game, the Pac-12 and Mountain West football championship games, a Bowl Championship Series playoff game, a weeklong UFC celebration in July and mega fight card, an NFL training camp, the National Finals Rodeo and the Final Four (pending the NCAA removing a ban that prohibits tournament games from being played here because of gambling). Organizers said the stadium is being designed to accommodate a professional soccer team.

So, yes, this would be a game changer for Las Vegas. Thatís what excites the local in me about this project ó while I love the 702, it wasnít the ideal home for a sports junkie when I was growing up because, with the exception of UNLV basketball and the Las Vegas Stars, the options were limited. Now, it seems locals would have major sporting or entertainment options every weekend.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013...-unlv-stadium/
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:53 PM   #2
HsvIllini
It's hard to tell from the perspective of the renderings, but is that scoreboard on the side above the lower seating, or does it run down the middle? It looks like down the side which would be a little strange...
HsvIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:15 PM   #3
gibb52
I wonder if there is a stadium in the country that generates $400 million of revenue annually. I'm suspicious of that number.
gibb52 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:16 PM   #4
GilThorpe
it would be an awesome venue, if it gets built.

it seems to me that from a cost standpoint, it is in the same league as JerryJonesDome. How can they justify the cost of it without a NFL team pllaying there 10 times a year? All the other things they talk about are all "maybes". UNLV doesnt draw 75,000. I just question who is going to bankroll that without an NFL Franchise. Is the NFL ready to add a team in LA & LV?
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:21 PM   #5
OlivetNaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibb52 View Post
I wonder if there is a stadium in the country that generates $400 million of revenue annually. I'm suspicious of that number.
It will be built in Vegas...which, after Chicago, NYC, and LA, probably leads the country in conventions that come to town every year. That stadium would probably get weekly use year-round, especially with that giant screen.

As to whether or not it would generate $400 million...that I don't know. However, if there's a town in the USA that really needs an economic shot in the arm for job creation, it's Vegas. That stadium would at least give a temporary jolt from all the construction workers.

"If life were logical, men would ride side-saddle."
OlivetNaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:21 PM   #6
illinicb
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibb52 View Post
I think any revenue number affiliated with a stadium being built or renovated should be questioned. I trust none of them.

Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:39 PM   #7
Groundhogday
Do you buy tickets to go to the game and watch it on TV?

Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:29 AM   #8
GilThorpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Do you buy tickets to go to the game and watch it on TV?
you actually buy tickets to watch that TV, and they play the game there for free
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:06 AM   #9
ncoillini
I spoke to a UNLV fan after they played CSU this year. He told me the stadium now is in a bad part of LV and the attendance is just as bad. So how do they make $400 mil. a year?
ncoillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:24 AM   #10
GilThorpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoillini View Post
I spoke to a UNLV fan after they played CSU this year. He told me the stadium now is in a bad part of LV and the attendance is just as bad. So how do they make $400 mil. a year?
tractor pulls, monster truck shows, and adult movie conventions :laugh:

the promoters of this arena are basing its viability on it being able to attract EVERY rotating sports tournament and event out there. This , at a point in time, when just about every major sports league is still very reluctant to have events in that town due to the sports book.

They have huge hurdles to cross just to get on this list of qualified venues to host such events, and then they still have to make that place work without a NFL franchise, and without a college team that can draw 25,000.

I think it is simply pie in the sky right now. I just dont see it happening without the NFL playing there 10 times every fall.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:09 AM   #11
champaignchris
I don't know about a football game, but it would probably be a pretty cool venue to see a rock concert.
champaignchris is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:31 AM   #12
Droidillini
New Illini Scoreboard

Speaking of scoreboards, aren't we getting a new one installed this year? Any updates on this?
Droidillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:51 PM   #13
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidillini View Post
Speaking of scoreboards, aren't we getting a new one installed this year? Any updates on this?
Droid you inspired me to create a new thread for 2013 to track all the news & info with Illinois' new scoreboard -
http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum...ad.php?t=19299
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:19 PM   #14
RHITIllini
I think given that revenue target, they pretty much have to host some big shows, and with that overhang they have, it seems natural to do so.
RHITIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:27 AM   #15
Illinnoying Orange
With the proposed stadium, I look for UNLV to pull in a big name coach and then start out-recruiting most of the traditional powers.
Illinnoying Orange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:18 AM   #16
champaignchris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinnoying Orange View Post
With the proposed stadium, I look for UNLV to pull in a big name coach and then start out-recruiting most of the traditional powers.
Regardless of facilities, there's really no reason for that program not to be quite a bit better than it's been in football based on location alone.

Their current coach, Bobby Hauck, couldn't lose at Montana (80-17 over 7 seasons) and has gone 6-32 at UNLV.

About a decade ago, John freakin' Robinson could only post a .400 record there over a 6 year tenure.
champaignchris is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:04 PM   #17
GilThorpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by champaignchris View Post
Regardless of facilities, there's really no reason for that program not to be quite a bit better than it's been in football based on location alone.

Their current coach, Bobby Hauck, couldn't lose at Montana (80-17 over 7 seasons) and has gone 6-32 at UNLV.

About a decade ago, John freakin' Robinson could only post a .400 record there over a 6 year tenure.
yea, but I dont care how good you get that team, there is no one there in that area really tied to that team, that will come and watch them. I see them having a hard time drawing 25,000 even if they were to go 10-2.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:30 PM   #18
Illinnoying Orange
Gil --- I bet you'd be surprised once it's built --- give it 5 yrs under a good coach in that type of facility, and I'd be shocked if they weren't one of the premiere programs in the country.

I know its only basketball --- but in 1983, UNLV averaged 6,380 in home attendance. In 1990 w/ grandmama & co, they averaged over 17,000 in home attendance. Then in 1996, they were back down to averaging 9,513 in home attendance.

I know there is more to sustaining good attendance than just bulding a fancy new facility, but UNLV has shown in the past that when you make a home game an event and bring in top tier talent, the fans will show up big.
Illinnoying Orange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:52 AM   #19
sebum
Banned
First one coming to Reliant. It's always bigger in Texas:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...-video-boards/

sebum is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »