Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

News & Notes - January 15th

Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:02 AM   #51
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
It is honestly shocking that a 51% FT shooter makes anything from the floor. Think that indicates that he does indeed use some judgment when taking a shot from the floor. Maybe not enough, but some judgment.

51% from the stripe, that position doesn't change and you are not contested, so that sucks. So, he is not a good shooter.

But evidently he shows some discretion.
Your comment got me thinking. I was curious as to whether there were any players that had a higher FG% than FT%. The NBA was much easier to check than the NCAA and Shaquille O'Neal was the first person that came to mind. He turned out to be one of those with that distinction. There may be another person or two but I couldn't find anyplace doing a comparison.
AzIlliniFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:59 AM   #52
07Illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesLawrence View Post
no, we need a guy like Vitor Oladipo - he is that guy for IU .. it would be nice to 1 guy on the roster like that
I'm pretty sure anyone in America could use a first round NBA-type.

We have plenty of athletes. Athleticism isn't what this team is missing.
07Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:07 AM   #53
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Illini View Post
I'm pretty sure anyone in America could use a first round NBA-type.

We have plenty of athletes. Athleticism isn't what this team is missing.
Exactly. This team could use a few things, but what's this team needs the most is a guy that can jump into the air after someone shoots the ball and get a rebound. That could be a new center or even a more traditional 4. If we could rebound the basketball, this team would be much better than it is now.
lstewart53x3 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:46 PM   #54
Holdemall
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
Your comment got me thinking. I was curious as to whether there were any players that had a higher FG% than FT%. The NBA was much easier to check than the NCAA and Shaquille O'Neal was the first person that came to mind. He turned out to be one of those with that distinction. There may be another person or two but I couldn't find anyplace doing a comparison.
In single seasons: Wilt Chamberlain, Ben Wallace, Dennis Rodman, Dale Davis, Blake Griffin, Tyson Chandler, Will Purdue, Javale McGee, etc.
Holdemall is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:51 PM   #55
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdemall View Post
In single seasons: Wilt Chamberlain, Ben Wallace, Dennis Rodman, Dale Davis, Blake Griffin, Tyson Chandler, Will Purdue, Javale McGee, etc.
That I would expect to happen on occasion, but over a career? You'd expect even the worst FT shooters to be at 55-60%.
AzIlliniFan is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »