Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

New Illini OC Bill Cubit intro press conference

Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:14 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Bill Cubit intro presser today, 11:30am CT.

Last edited by Dan; Jan 16, 2013 at 11:31 AM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Dan
Admin
Quote:
The Microcosm of #MACtion, new #illini Offensive Coordinator Bill Cubit is introduced. http://pic.twitter.com/yxDVvKI7

http://twitter.com/AirMaxTane
Quote:
Cubit: Excited to come up here with Coach Beckman and Illini football team. Had couple opportunities but this one stood out

Cubit: Beckman did an outstanding job at Toledo, set a standard in the MAC. Tim Knox was his DOFO at WMU

Cubit: Spent last few days evaluating game tape of Illini. We have talent. Will mold his system around talent.

Cubit: Talent level at RB and offensive line.

Cubit: In perfect world will name starting QB at end of spring ball. At WMU, starters were definitive in summer

Cubit: Both Scheelhaase and O'Toole are talented but they need a lot of work and help from skill players and OL

Cubit: Has talked with QBs and WRs. Gone out and recruited last few days.

Cubit: Have to be balanced but also spread them out, especially if there's a talent gap. Won't get locked into one system

Cubit on oline: I like 'em. Encouraged about some things on film. Will try to get 14-15 pass blocking concepts in place.

Cubit: Stanford was reclamation project. "I kind of like that."

Cubit: I know what Coach Beck has to go through. He's the ultimate guy. Will have input on OL coach but Beck's decision

Cubit: I had a funny feeling when I came into stadium last year. I love these kinds of stadiums, tradition, conference

Cubit: Beckman has given him "free reins" on offense.

Cubit: System will be changed to fit players. More north and south runs in his offense.

Cubit: Last year is gone, it's over. But you never want to go back. Have to put every ounce of energy in getting this right

Cubit: First went to no-huddle and hurry-up offense 2 years ago. I think tempo gives you an advantage if have enough WRs

Cubit: There's a lot on the QB. You have to be like a coach on the field. If you don't buy in, it's not going to work.

Cubit: Most likely will call plays in the press box. Has called plays on field too. It's up to Beckman.

Cubit on his son, Ryan (co-OC at WMU): Time to spread his wings and get experience under another coach.

Cubit: A lot of experience recruiting South Florida. Had 26 kids there at WMU. Was a HS coach down there.

Cubit: Says he may not always be right but he'll tell it like it is (to the media)

http://twitter.com/WernerESPNCU
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:04 AM   #3
AHSIllini32
Banned
Loved what I heard about incorporating more down-hill runs as well as more no-huddle offense and changing the offense to fit his players.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:28 AM   #4
hermie1985
I liked having to spread them out if there is a talent gap.
hermie1985 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:30 AM   #5
Dan
Admin
Video: Bill Cubit introductory press conference

Rob McColley
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:50 AM   #6
Groundhogday
More north-south runs, pre-snap reads and quick passes. Sure sounds like the west-coast spread offense Cubit has run everywhere he has been.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:53 AM   #7
Illinifn79
Banned
I think the biggest key was mold his scheme around the talent. Last year that was the main problem with the offense and not talent. There is talent but the system ran was way off for the group that was on the field.
Illinifn79 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:54 AM   #8
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
More north-south runs, pre-snap reads and quick passes. Sure sounds like the west-coast spread offense Cubit has run everywhere he has been.
Yeah. And listening to him there is a 0% chance that Bailey starts as a freshman.
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:55 AM   #9
Warriors1994
I liked what he said, seems good in my eyes
Warriors1994 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:00 PM   #10
quhawks12
Quote:
I don't think he's going to change his passing game much. But I do think he'll tweak the running game. We will run down hill which is Young and Ayoola's strength's anyway. But mix in read option and other things for Scheelhaase and Ferguson. I'm expecting Ferguson to catch a lot of balls in this offense whether lined up at RB or WR.

Pre-snap reads and having a lot on the quarterback's shoulders tells me Scheelhaase or O'Toole will be starting. No chance Bailey comes in from an option system to this and starts. Which I prefer him to redshirt anyway so I'm good with that.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:14 PM   #11
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
I don't think he's going to change his passing game much. But I do think he'll tweak the running game. We will run down hill which is Young and Ayoola's strength's anyway. But mix in read option and other things for Scheelhaase and Ferguson. I'm expecting Ferguson to catch a lot of balls in this offense whether lined up at RB or WR.

Pre-snap reads and having a lot on the quarterback's shoulders tells me Scheelhaase or O'Toole will be starting. No chance Bailey comes in from an option system to this and starts. Which I prefer him to redshirt anyway so I'm good with that.
One other thought: Don't be surprised if someone like Bonahoom becomes a starter. In this system, speed isn't nearly as important as making the right read, running precise routes, and catching everything. That guy who has been promoting Bonahoom will be happy.

And to be honest, I think Scheelhaase is at his best running QB draws, roll outs, and scrambling from designed passing plays. He just isn't big or strong enough to run the ball regularly as an option QB and not get beat up.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:29 PM   #12
illinilifer
Anybody else see a little James Caan there? And is Asmussen on a no food diet or what
illinilifer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:35 PM   #13
quhawks12
Quote:
One other thought: Don't be surprised if someone like Bonahoom becomes a starter. In this system, speed isn't nearly as important as making the right read, running precise routes, and catching everything. That guy who has been promoting Bonahoom will be happy.

And to be honest, I think Scheelhaase is at his best running QB draws, roll outs, and scrambling from designed passing plays. He just isn't big or strong enough to run the ball regularly as an option QB and not get beat up.
I agree on Bonahoom. I also think this makes Lankford a back-up which I already though would happen because Hardee is just better than he is.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:37 PM   #14
Shenanigans
Quote:
More north-south runs, pre-snap reads and quick passes .
This is good news for Illini fans. Petrino started doing that and when it had success, Zook stepped in and made him go back to east and west plays.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:11 PM   #15
Kramer116
Quote:
Yeah. And listening to him there is a 0% chance that Bailey starts as a freshman.
Just because he did not list him by name?

Or the fact that starters are usually decided by summer?

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Kramer116 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:18 PM   #16
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Just because he did not list him by name?

Or the fact that starters are usually decided by summer?
Because this is a system that is put directly on the QB's shoulders. QB makes play calls, reads and adjustments at the LOS. A lot of option routes for WR's and RB's. I just find it hard to believe a true freshman from an option system can grasp that quickly enough.

I've been wrong a lot before so I very well could be again.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:41 PM   #17
TEYPAY
Quote:
Because this is a system that is put directly on the QB's shoulders. QB makes play calls, reads and adjustments at the LOS. A lot of option routes for WR's and RB's. I just find it hard to believe a true freshman from an option system can grasp that quickly enough.

I've been wrong a lot before so I very well could be again.
Agreed -- for example, Wes Lunt earned the starting job at Oklahoma State, BUT.... he enrolled in January. Hard to come in over the summer and catch up.
TEYPAY is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:44 PM   #18
BZuppke
I'm excited. We'll only go as far as the talent will allow, but Cubit has seen a lot and will more likely than not, maximize the output. It is good that he has Florida recruiting ties which hopefully will yield some of the WR and other skill position players that we need. This will be a better Illinois staff overall going forward.
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:57 PM   #19
Warriors1994
Quote:
I agree on Bonahoom. I also think this makes Lankford a back-up which I already though would happen because Hardee is just better than he is.
Qu the guy from a while ago will be all over you on Bonahoom if he does see some good playing time. LOL
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:59 PM   #20
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors1994 View Post
Qu the guy from a while ago will be all over you on Bonahoom if he does see some good playing time. LOL
Hey...I've said from the beginning that I hope Bonahoom does awesome!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:01 PM   #21
Warriors1994
Quote:
Hey...I've said from the beginning that I hope Bonahoom does awesome!
I know lol we all hope someone steps up I really dont care who it is, maybe he does lets hope someone does.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:11 PM   #22
rrhafley
Olympic Illini
Quote:
...And to be honest, I think Scheelhaase is at his best running QB draws, roll outs, and scrambling from designed passing plays. He just isn't big or strong enough to run the ball regularly as an option QB and not get beat up.
+1!
Whenever he dropped into "the pocket," I would just close my eyes and just pray that we didn't turn over the ball via pick or fumble.
rrhafley is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:57 PM   #23
BZuppke
Well an offensive line will do wonders for this team. Scheelhaase did pretty well when we had a line and LeShoure. I think Young, Ferguson and Ayoola (sp?) are pretty talented. We just need a line to open some holes and protect Nate. Given this, Nate has more options and will look much more like he did in the LeShoure days. I'm not discounting O'Toole, just saying Nate can do better with an OL.
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:15 PM   #24
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZuppke View Post
Well an offensive line will do wonders for this team. Scheelhaase did pretty well when we had a line and LeShoure. I think Young, Ferguson and Ayoola (sp?) are pretty talented. We just need a line to open some holes and protect Nate. Given this, Nate has more options and will look much more like he did in the LeShoure days. I'm not discounting O'Toole, just saying Nate can do better with an OL.
Nate will also benefit from a system that puts a higher premium on a quick release than a strong arm. Joe Montana was the 4th QB drafted coming out of college (3rd round) largely because many scouts didn't think he had the arm strength to be successful in the NFL.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:42 PM   #25
quhawks12
Cubit said they want the ball out of the QB's hands in 2.2 seconds. That should help the OL But, being serious there is A LOT on the QB and WR's being on the same page and reading the defense to know what route to run.

Again, to me this mean zero chance Bailey starts. Also means we are likely to struggle if we can't get these two groups on the same page.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »