Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Chargers OL coach Mike Sullivan hired as Browns OL coach

Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:27 AM   #1
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
It Illinois, sources tell us Chargers OL coach Mike Sullivan has been offered the OL job. NFL jobs also a possibility http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

https://twitter.com/footballscoop/
So Sullivan is the guy we were targeting but it sounds like we may have some competition from the NFL.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:33 AM   #2
GilThorpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
So Sullivan is the guy we were targeting but it sounds like we may have some competition from the NFL.
I read that as this ........... Mike Sullivan wants to work at UI, but needs to get a salary that is a tad higher than what first offered, and this is his way (or his agents way) of getting UI to up the ante.

I am not saying hes ours, just that I have a feeling we have a better than average chance. We wont be able to pay more than the NFL, but living and working in a college town might be a tad easier than NFL life in a big city.
GilThorpe is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:35 AM   #3
quhawks12
I know where Footballscoop got their info (and it's from neither party involved). This is not completely done but it's obviously close.

Gil, you are probably right.
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:35 AM   #4
FeelYourPaign
This sure sounds like great news !
Iknow nothing of Sullivan, but usually a guy with NFL experience is going to do well for us. Turner, I know, was an exception, but my impression is that was due to being uninspired as a recruiter. Assuming that Sullivan is either a great recruiter or not expected to be a great recruiter, this sounds great. We were lacking in many areas this past year, but arguably none more than OL.
FeelYourPaign is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Botb9
Realist
Chargers just hired Mike McCoy yesterday, so it's quite possible Sullivan is going to be out of a job anyway once this new coach fills his staff.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:48 AM   #6
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
Chargers just hired Mike McCoy yesterday, so it's quite possible Sullivan is going to be out of a job anyway once this new coach fills his staff.
He has already interviewed for other NFL jobs..so I would say he's been let go already.
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Symmooth
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
I never watch the NFL, so can someone please tell me if the Chargers had a well coached OL with him as coach?
Symmooth is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:31 AM   #8
Big Jack
Here is the scoop off of the Chargers website.. He is a Chicago guy which would have to be a big asset.. Has experience playing and coaching in the NFL that can't hurt. Really like the fact that his OL did not allow many sacks.

http://www.chargers.com/team/coaches...8-0cfa6467bfaf
Big Jack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:46 AM   #9
CharlesLawrence
Banned
IF , we get him. This is HUGE on the recruiting front.. Think about it, a guy who has coached OL in the NFL.. We need a OL coach that knows on to coach an O-line.. this would be great news IMHO
CharlesLawrence is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:49 AM   #10
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
His time at WMU was with a spread offense, other than that in the NFL, so concerns about coaching the spread offensive line, but otherwise, getting an NFL guy would be nice.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:55 AM   #11
Warriors1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesLawrence View Post
IF , we get him. This is HUGE on the recruiting front.. Think about it, a guy who has coached OL in the NFL.. We need a OL coach that knows on to coach an O-line.. this would be great news IMHO
+1 huge for the future OL and there seem to be a few big boys out there including one who seems to be high on ILL since parents came to ILL
Warriors1994 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:55 AM   #12
jackman404
Banned
Some NFL experience on this line would be fantastic. I hope you guys are right about this mostly being contract negotiations at this point.
jackman404 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:15 AM   #13
RHITIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesLawrence View Post
The Chicago ties alone are big.

Add in the level he was at in the NFL and it's even better.
RHITIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:29 AM   #14
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHITIllini View Post
The Chicago ties alone are big.

Add in the level he was at in the NFL and it's even better.
This is nice. But the number one priority, by far, is that we hire an OL coach who is a good teacher. The fact that the WMU run game was MUCH better during his two years in Kalamazoo than before or after suggests that this guy can coach college linemen.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:34 AM   #15
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
Here is the scoop off of the Chargers website.. He is a Chicago guy which would have to be a big asset.. Has experience playing and coaching in the NFL that can't hurt. Really like the fact that his OL did not allow many sacks.

http://www.chargers.com/team/coaches...8-0cfa6467bfaf
Phillip Rivers was sacked 117 times the past 3 years over a span of 48 games. This past year being his career worst at 49 sacks. Being a long time Chargers fans I will note that Sullivan was given very little to work with during his time in SD. AJ Smith, the GM, really didn't make the OL a priority and tried to do a patchwork job with FA's and lower draft pick/projects that never really panned out. In spite of all that I do think he would be a great hire for UI.
AzIlliniFan is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:39 AM   #16
Big Jack
Thomas needs get the checkbook out on this one.. and get R done
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:44 AM   #17
Big Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
Phillip Rivers was sacked 117 times the past 3 years over a span of 48 games. This past year being his career worst at 49 sacks. Being a long time Chargers fans I will note that Sullivan was given very little to work with during his time in SD. AJ Smith, the GM, really didn't make the OL a priority and tried to do a patchwork job with FA's and lower draft pick/projects that never really panned out. In spite of all that I do think he would be a great hire for UI.
Per the link the charge website stated that they gave up the 8th fewest sacks in the NFL in 2011 & 2012.. I was just going by that info.. Heck the Bears should have hired him since they gave up 149 over those 3 years.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:52 AM   #18
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jack View Post
Per the link the charge website stated that they gave up the 8th fewest sacks in the NFL in 2011 & 2012.. I was just going by that info.. Heck the Bears should have hired him since they gave up 149 over those 3 years.
No doubt! I'm not trying to diss on Sullivan, quite the opposite actually. He did a remarkable job with the talent that he was given to work with.
AzIlliniFan is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:54 AM   #19
Hoppy2105
Hey GHD,

I was looking for that OL breakdown for WMU for the Cubit years that showed how the two years with Sullivan vastly improved them and the year he left they dropped back down. I can't find it anymore, though. Could you repost it? I think it's an interesting shot of how good this guy's O Lines may be...especially if he gets better talent.

(and if he takes the job of course)

/.............|.............\
/...............|...............\
Hoppy2105 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:59 AM   #20
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy2105 View Post
I was looking for that OL breakdown for WMU for the Cubit years that showed how the two years with Sullivan vastly improved them and the year he left they dropped back down. I can't find it anymore, though. Could you repost it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
FWIW, here are NCAA FBS rankings for the WMU rushing offense from 2003 to 2012. Cubit and Sullivan took over in 2005, Sullivan left after the 2006 season.

Year__Rank
2003__116
2004__103
2005___57 Sullivan OL coach
2006___56 Sullivan OL coach
2007___86
2008___96
2009__100
2010___93
2011___94
2012___74

These rankings don't adjust for tempo, but since they were running a pass-oriented spread the entire time you can see that the only time they had a good running game was during the two years Sullivan coached the OL. (In total production only slightly above average but that is pretty good for a passing team.)

Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:05 PM   #21
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
This sure sounds like great news !
Iknow nothing of Sullivan, but usually a guy with NFL experience is going to do well for us. Turner, I know, was an exception, but my impression is that was due to being uninspired as a recruiter. Assuming that Sullivan is either a great recruiter or not expected to be a great recruiter, this sounds great. We were lacking in many areas this past year, but arguably none more than OL.
Turner wasn't an exception! He was a very good offensive mind and did quite well at Illinois on that side of the ball. He just wasn't a very good head coach because he was a lousy recruiter.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:47 PM   #22
Hoppy2105
Appreciate it GHD!

So let's say we do hire him...and he does improve our line/rushing offense in the same fashion of the WMU offense. That would really get our program up and running and looking good. If all that happens, is Sullivan the kind of guy that we could hold on to or would he probably move on after a few years?

/.............|.............\
/...............|...............\
Hoppy2105 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:47 PM   #23
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy2105 View Post
Appreciate it GHD!

So let's say we do hire him...and he does improve our line/rushing offense in the same fashion of the WMU offense. That would really get our program up and running and looking good. If all that happens, is Sullivan the kind of guy that we could hold on to or would he probably move on after a few years?
I sure hope we have enough success in the next couple of years that it becomes necessary to worry about someone stealing our coaches.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:32 PM   #24
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
I sure hope we have enough success in the next couple of years that it becomes necessary to worry about someone stealing our coaches.
Hear ! Hear !!
FeelYourPaign is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:27 AM   #25
Dan
Admin
The Browns have hired Mike Sullivan as o-line coach.
Quote:
#Browns also hire coaches Brad Roll (Strength & Conditioning), Mike Sullivan (Offensive Line) & Scott Turner (Wide Receivers).

http://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ
Dan is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »