Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

The Manti Te'o dead girlfriend story is a hoax (Deadspin)

Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:07 PM   #76
Dan
Admin
Live ND presser now, ESPNews
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:12 PM   #77
trevdv
Jack Swarbrick says that on Dec. 26th, Manti received a call from his "dead" girlfriend, and recognized her voice (creepy). Apparently she then explained to Te'o that it was all a hoax. Clearly if this is true, Manti had nothing to do with the elaborate hoax, and is not some kind of a con-man or lier after all. Notre Dame received a final report on the investigation on January 4th, and we're not learning about any of this until now (the 16th).

Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:15 PM   #78
dansaint
Hello...me not dead.

Digging out of all this pile of crap

Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:17 PM   #79
trevdv
Jack's answer on whether or not Manti was working behind the scenes with his fake girlfriend: "This was exclusively an online relationship. Have any of you seen the movie 'Catfish?' It is shocking the frequency and similarities between that film and this tale. There is apparently some kind of sport/platform for doing this kind of thing; some that are more versed in the online world than I am are skilled in performing these types of hoaxes." Then went on to say it started back in "2009 or earlier," and that there were "multiple people involved; brothers, cousins, mother, etc."

In my personal opinion, this whole thing is just disturbing and sickening. An online hacker-expert that consumed Manti's world for at least four years, without him knowing it. Was it extortion? Was it just a sick joke? Either way, I'm saddened for Manti and disturbed by this turn of events.

Last edited by trevdv; Jan 16, 2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Expanded on information given
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:35 PM   #80
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
Jack's answer on whether or not Manti was working behind the scenes with his fake girlfriend: "This was exclusively an online relationship. Have any of you seen the movie 'Catfish?' It is shocking the frequency and similarities between that film and this tale. There is apparently some kind of sport/platform for doing this kind of thing; some that are more versed in the online world than I am are skilled in performing these types of hoaxes." Then went on to say it started back in "2009 or earlier," and that there were "multiple people involved; brothers, cousins, mother, etc."

In my personal opinion, this whole thing is just disturbing and sickening. An online hacker-expert that consumed Manti's world for at least four years, without him knowing it. Was it extortion? Was it just a sick joke? Either way, I'm saddened for Manti and disturbed by this turn of events.
Four years without ever meeting? Without ever checking out her facebook page? Really? Without ever checking to see if she was enrolled at Stanford?

Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:35 PM   #81
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Don't forget he lied repeatedly about meeting her in person multiple times, something Swarbrick is now saying is not true.

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:36 PM   #82
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcoldagelli View Post
Don't forget he lied repeatedly about meeting her in person multiple times, something Swarbrick is now saying is not true.
Yep. So we know Teo was lying, but he now asks that we believe he is telling the truth.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:38 PM   #83
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:

Teo is not the victim here, he is the perpetrator of this fraud.
I Hate Lemonier is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:40 PM   #84
Kramer116
Hahahahahaha

Either this is the greatest prank ever played on Manti in history, he is the absolute dumbest human being on earth, or he is clearly involved and is a pathological liar.

This is the story that keeps on giving.

Notre Dame lying to cover their butt and doing nothing to "gather facts" lol that place is such a joke.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Kramer116 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:41 PM   #85
IlliniSaluki
This is just f'd up bigtime. The only things I can see his roles are:

1) Complete hoax him and the others did for publicity.
2) He was originally pranked but kept it up for publicity after finding out.
3) He's the most naive and blind man on the planet.

*facepalm* to all of it
IlliniSaluki is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:41 PM   #86
ChiTownIllini22
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Hahahahahaha

Either this is the greatest prank ever played on Manti in history, he is the absolute dumbest human being on earth, or he is clearly involved and is a pathological liar.

This is the story that keeps on giving.

Notre Dame lying to cover their butt and doing nothing to "gather facts" lol that place is such a joke.
Am I a terrible person because I'm enjoying this whole situation?
ChiTownIllini22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:42 PM   #87
IlliniSF
Banned
A couple reasons someone would makeup an imaginary girlfriend.

1) You are a loser
2) you are gay

Add Heisman trophy candidate to that....
IlliniSF is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:44 PM   #88
rrhafley
Olympic Illini
Number one comment on Yahoo Sports regarding this::laugh:

Quote:
Brent Musburger thinks Te'o fake girlfriend is hot
rrhafley is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:48 PM   #89
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Yep. So we know Teo was lying, but he now asks that we believe he is telling the truth.
I'm not taking his side or anyone else's, but we don't know for sure that he met her face-to-face. Though it seems impossible that someone would be in a relationship with another for four years and never want to see her in person, Swarbrick said that Manti kept on using the word "met" with him, but Te'o meant chatting with her online. So apparently whenever he said to the media he "met" her, he could've just meant online.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:53 PM   #90
OlivetNaz
Quote:

Have you READ the Deadspin article? There is no possible way that Te'o was NOT involved in the perpetration of this thing. Given the pre-existing relationships of the other people in the story, there's literally just no way that Te'o didn't know.

Now, let's assume I'm wrong. Let's assume that Te'o really DID NOT know. He's just made himself the primary target for every single shady "financial advisor" on the planet - at a bare minimum.

Religious or not - NO ONE goes four years without ever talking in person (voice or skype video, not facebook chat or text or twitter) to a "close" friend. If you combined ALL the naivete on the planet, you still wouldn't have enough to cover even half of what would be needed to be duped to this extent for FOUR years.

"If life were logical, men would ride side-saddle."
OlivetNaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:53 PM   #91
Illinimedic
^^i thought Manti himself he and his fake girlfriend met face to face on multiple occasions. I was thinking he referenced a meeting after a Stanford game, in Hawaii, and in south bend..so if she stood him up why did he continue to lie about it?
Illinimedic is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:56 PM   #92
OlivetNaz
Quote:
I'm not taking his side or anyone else's, but we don't know for sure that he met her face-to-face. Though it seems impossible that someone would be in a relationship with another for four years and never want to see her in person, Swarbrick said that Manti kept on using the word "met" with him, but Te'o meant chatting with her online. So apparently whenever he said to the media he "met" her, he could've just meant online.
Te'o dug his own grave on this by claiming he "met" her in Hawaii, in Palo Alto, in South Bend. That's a bit more than "meeting" in a twitter conversation.

"If life were logical, men would ride side-saddle."
OlivetNaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:58 PM   #93
champaignchris
His father said she met them in Hawaii. Manti himself said they met at a football game, not online.
champaignchris is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:01 PM   #94
hermie1985
I find it disturbing that ND did not call authorities and then claim it is because it is an issue for him and his family. No thought of playing this out in hopes of catching the "perps". Also stopped investigation before seeing where the net footprints led. I don't think they want to know.

My guess is the family will say they just want to put this behind them and move on.

If innocent, this is the chance to step up and shed light on the problem.

I have no idea if this kid is just that gullible or wanted the media looking at him more.
hermie1985 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:03 PM   #95
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinimedic View Post
^^i thought Manti himself he and his fake girlfriend met face to face on multiple occasions. I was thinking he referenced a meeting after a Stanford game, in Hawaii, and in south bend..so if she stood him up why did he continue to lie about it?
It seems maybe the kid was lying to cover up some fact of his personal life....maybe it was more important to have his sexual preference in the public domain...if that's the case then it's really sad though if he is gay the worlds worst forum to express that fact would be the ND football program
Calilama is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:23 PM   #96
My2Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmore View Post
Has this hit mainstream media yet (ex Espn)?
It was on CNN tonight. It mostly focused on Manti saying he was tricked and Cooper and the Deadspin writer saying things didn't add up without making explicit accusations. Deadspin mentioned conflicts in news outlets, but the editorial mistakes weren't stressed.
My2Cents is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:25 PM   #97
Groundhogday
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivetNaz View Post
Te'o dug his own grave on this by claiming he "met" her in Hawaii, in Palo Alto, in South Bend. That's a bit more than "meeting" in a twitter conversation.
Maybe Te'o sent her a text when he was Palo Alto and she replied with a text when she was in South Bend.:laugh:

Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:25 PM   #98
DaytonIllini
What kind of person has the 'love of their life' die and doesn't go to pay respects to her family after she dies? What kind of sick freak never visits with the love of his life while she is failing in the hospital for months on end. I mean I know football is REALLY important but come on.

Thinking about the above he might be a sicker freak if this was a hoax perpetrated on him than if it was something that he perpetrated.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:25 PM   #99
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivetNaz View Post
Swarbrick said that they intended to meet in Hawaii, but she never showed up.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:27 PM   #100
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Maybe Te'o sent her a text when he was Palo Alto and she replied with a text when she was in South Bend.:laugh:
:laugh: That will probably be his next excuse.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »