Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Remaining Schedule and Expectations

Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Calvin
So I wanted to set my own expectations, and thought it might be interesting to put them down.

Strictly from a standpoint of where we're at, I have no issue with our season performance....none. Yes we lost at Purdue and Wiscy, two games I think we should win, but that's it as far as disappointment. How many teams in the country are 18 games in with only 2 disappointing performances? Mizzou and Minney are both very good teams. On the plus side, we have SEVERAL quality wins. We've beaten Butler, @Gonzaga, tOSU, which are all tournament teams.

The real problem is the ghost of last season. With a very similar cast and recent shooting woes, do we have the leadership to play at the level of our good wins?

With 1-3 already in the books, here's my expectation (BIG games):

2-0 NW & @Neb. Games we will win.
1-4 UM, @MSU, Wisc, Indy, @Minney. One of the most brutal stretches of any team in the country. 2 wins here would make me happy. Seriously.
If we start seeing blow-outs, I will hit the panic button, as Groce doesn't have the bench to fold on our starters, and it says to me he's not able to capture the attitude that led to our earlier performances.
If we finish with losses only @UM and @tOSU, we'll go 5-2 down the stretch and wind up at 0.500. Honestly, I fully expect that gets us in, no problems. I am loath to contemplate another bubble year at less than .500, but I think we'll have a reasonable shot even at 8-10. Not gonna think about that now.

To me, this is where the rubber meets the road. Groce is trying to change the culture, with guys he didn't bring in (Sam excluded). There really is no need for us to panic, other than fear that we haven't learned anything from last season. We're not playing well now, and we need to turn that around.

Please guys, take a step in the right direction tonight
Calvin is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:08 PM   #2
TheSecretWeapon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
Yes we lost at Purdue and Wiscy, two games I think we should win, but that's it as far as disappointment.
thought we should win at the time? yes
still thought we should win after watching the game Tuesday? nope

I'll take 8-10 in the B1G this year fo sho

Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:17 PM   #3
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecretWeapon View Post

Agree.
gibb52 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:19 PM   #4
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecretWeapon View Post

I would sign up for that right now.
Think 9 wins is possible, but would trade that chance for the certainty of 8.
FeelYourPaign is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:05 PM   #5
cuillini
After tonight I fully expect to lose every remaining game. We have not been competitive in our last 3 games, can't hit a three, and have forgotten how to play defense.
What was once a promising start has collapsed into a repeat of last year.
cuillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Holdemall
We were plenty competitive against Minny.
Holdemall is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:13 PM   #7
morif
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuillini View Post
After tonight I fully expect to lose every remaining game. We have not been competitive in our last 3 games, can't hit a three, and have forgotten how to play defense.
I have the same frame of mind. The future just got very bleak IMO....
morif is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:22 PM   #8
hermie1985
I say it all the time. These guys will play hard against the teams they shouldn't (Michigan coming up) and choke against the gimme. Come on. They want to be on ESPN not BTN.

Keep in mind this is last year's team minus Leonard. New coach. Biggest difference is they won't completely give up for Groce. Won't translate to wins as we look to get blown out by nobodys and compete with somebodys.

I think it comes down to Weber's recruiting and the culture he built. I can't imagine the guys coming in next fall won't have a strong shot at playing otherwise we would have already seen more of this bench. I'd rather start fresh with the new guys than have another year of this crap and then have to get experience for the new guys come 2014-15.

Last edited by hermie1985; Jan 17, 2013 at 09:29 PM.
hermie1985 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:23 PM   #9
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuillini View Post
There is a much better chance of us losing the rest of our games than there is of us making the tournament. Sad but true.
PointGuardU01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:30 PM   #10
OrchardDowns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdemall View Post
We were plenty competitive against Minny.
And lost by 17 at home.......
OrchardDowns is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:15 PM   #11
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointGuardU01 View Post
There is a much better chance of us losing the rest of our games than there is of us making the tournament. Sad but true.
It's hard to imagine us getting to 8 B1G wins now. At this point, I just want to start seeing improvement on D and O again week to week through season's end.
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:21 PM   #12
BlockI
Banned
I think we will lose every game on the road for sure. We could squeeze out a few home wins. They could turn it around by simply shooting better but those games need to be against the NW, Penn St. 's of the league to make sure we beat the teams we SHOULD beat.
BlockI is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:04 AM   #13
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
It's hard to imagine us getting to 8 B1G wins now. At this point, I just want to start seeing improvement on D and O again week to week through season's end.
Yep, all the discussion on that topic seems academic at this point. Hoping to simply avoid a repeat of the complete collapse of last year.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:16 AM   #14
Psycho 86
King Monkey Nut
Why do we have to have expectations ?? Cant we just be fans and enjoy the games ??

Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:28 AM   #15
SteakSandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho 86 View Post
Why do we have to have expectations ?? Cant we just be fans and enjoy the games ??
Because! NO!
SteakSandwich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:37 AM   #16
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Personally I didn't really enjoy last night's game. If you can/did then more power to ya.
PointGuardU01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:54 AM   #17
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Maybe 6-12 and hopefully we squeeze into the NIT.

That is my honest expectation from this point forward.

Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:05 AM   #18
pizzaman
Quote:
Cant we just be fans and enjoy the games ??
For the mentally well adjusted there usually needs to be something pleasurable for enjoyment to occur. Haven't had any of that in the past two games.

Those who get a kick out of frustration and failure may be enjoying the games.
pizzaman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:42 AM   #19
Psycho 86
King Monkey Nut
Not saying I enjoyed last nites game ... Wrong choice of words.. Im saying why as fans do we have expectations regarding the rest of the season. I enjoy watching the Illini. Im happy when they win , pissed when they lose. I dont expect them win all their games nor lose all their games. I enjoy watching the Illini !!

Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:27 AM   #20
MTILLINOIS
Collapse city last night. If we can't beat NW (no Drew) at home, I'm selling. I don't see us winning again. Fire WEBER!
MTILLINOIS is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:37 AM   #21
Indicchief
Banned
We are talking of expectations ......................

IF this team gets back to the way they are supposed to play - trusting the system, then we should be OK. NIT for sure. Perhaps even the dance.

However, if this senior set continues to do the one-on-one dance, it is time to wish them well for their future and welcome the '13 class.
Indicchief is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:17 AM   #22
Illiniaaron
Banned
Hard to imagine them going 1-17, I think they will get 4 or 5 conference wins. As a team they just don't have any bread and butter to go to when things are going bad-no suffocating defense, no inside game. Their strength has been three-point shooting, and we all know how fleeting that is.
Illiniaaron is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:04 PM   #23
Groundhogday
Quote:
Yep. That long debate about whether 8 wins would be enough to get us in the tournament now appears to be moot.

Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:38 PM   #24
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Yep. That long debate about whether 8 wins would be enough to get us in the tournament now appears to be moot.
For discussion's sake, let's say we finish 6-12 in the B1G and end up losing in the quarterfinals of the NIT. What impact do people think that would have on our 2014 and 2015 recruiting? Harder to attract 5- and 4-stars to UI when we're near the bottom of the B1G and miss the tournament. Guessing no CA or Lyle either way, though not as sure on Matthews, Williams and others in 2015. Curious what others think.
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:43 PM   #25
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
For discussion's sake, let's say we finish 6-12 in the B1G and end up losing in the quarterfinals of the NIT. What impact do people think that would have on our 2014 and 2015 recruiting? Harder to attract 5- and 4-stars to UI when we're near the bottom of the B1G and miss the tournament. Guessing no CA or Lyle either way, though not as sure on Matthews, Williams and others in 2015. Curious what others think.
wrong thread
FeelYourPaign is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »