Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > General > Track 5 Chat

Any of you jokers also sick as a dog?

Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
2 weeks ago I got sick as hell. Last week I felt I was recovered. Then this week I am experiencing the same damned symptoms. Sore throat and severe nasal congestion. Aches and pains. Brutal.

Not much of a cough, not much of a fever, no nausea to speak of, so that's good anyway.

I assume this is the flu that's going around? No idea. Didn't see a doc.

Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:04 AM   #2
CaptainHindsight
just keep taking pills of "it'll go away on its own" and you'll be fine.
CaptainHindsight is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:08 AM   #3
KBLEE
I had it for about 2.5 weeks...it just kept (keeps) hanging on. Other than a bit of drainage that makes me cough a couple times a day, it's pretty much gone now. It definitely sucks, though.
KBLEE is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:08 AM   #4
bdutts
Not yet. I had a cold when I was on vacation over Thanksgiving but so far, no flu. I did get a flu shot last week but won't get full protection for another week.
bdutts is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:02 PM   #5
pizzaman
I've been getting a flu shot and a pneumonia shot for the last 25 or so years. The last year I didn't get one, I started with the flu, that went to double pneumonia and I just about died. My fever was so high I was haluncinating, at one point I stood up and passed out clunking my head on something. I haven't had the flu since I started getting shots so I'm a believer.
pizzaman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:37 PM   #6
zoggle101
Anyone heard of cutting an onion, and the virus will be drawn to that instead of you?
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:49 PM   #7
WinOrElse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
2 weeks ago I got sick as hell. Last week I felt I was recovered. Then this week I am experiencing the same damned symptoms. Sore throat and severe nasal congestion. Aches and pains. Brutal.

Not much of a cough, not much of a fever, no nausea to speak of, so that's good anyway.

Had what you've got about 3 weeks ago. Wife, too. Felt better after a couple of days but the congestion and cough wouldn't go away. Just now starting to feel fairly normal again.
WinOrElse is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:00 PM   #8
cmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Anyone heard of cutting an onion, and the virus will be drawn to that instead of you?
Old wives tale. No truth to it.
cmore is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:34 PM   #9
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
I've been getting a flu shot and a pneumonia shot for the last 25 or so years. The last year I didn't get one, I started with the flu, that went to double pneumonia and I just about died. My fever was so high I was haluncinating, at one point I stood up and passed out clunking my head on something. I haven't had the flu since I started getting shots so I'm a believer.
Whoa, that's crazy. What's double pneumonia?

Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:33 PM   #10
Magoo2
I'm no doctor, but I believe double pneumonia is both lungs.....

My wife and I both fought nasty colds a few weeks ago....sore throat, drainage, head ache, achey...etc. etc.

This past Thursday, our 1 year old throws up at dinner and is fine the rest of the night. And here is our Friday/Saturday:

7pm - oldest has it coming out both ends
8pm - middle child decides he needs to participate as well
11pm - I figure, if everyone else is doing it, why shouldn't I?
3am - Wifey can't take it anymore and decides to hop in as well.

Oldest finishes with the puke at 3am
Middlest finished with the puke at 5am
I hold out and let 'er fly once at 5am
Wifey lasts until 830 the next morning.

Needless to say, on Saturday the little 'un spent the day with grandma and grandpa while the rest of us tried to figure out what the heck just happened.

Grandpa decided we had had too much fun without him so he decided to get the flu on Sunday. No word yet on Grandma, but she had been fighting a cold the whole time already.

Whatever is going around is nasty. I just got regular today and thank GOD for that!

Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:18 AM   #11
Shenanigans
Quote:

Exact same symptoms and situation.

Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:14 AM   #12
pizzaman
Quote:
Whoa, that's crazy. What's double pneumonia?
Pneumonia in both lungs. Makes you really weak.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:57 AM   #13
illinifan31
Orange Krush Cow
Surprisingly U of I doesn't seem to be getting hit very hard. I don't know anybody with the flu.
illinifan31 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:50 PM   #14
TheChiefRises
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan31 View Post
Surprisingly U of I doesn't seem to be getting hit very hard. I don't know anybody with the flu.
Haha well I just got a dulled down version. Course I took Echinacea the minute I started feeling the symptoms (it's an immune system booster).

Had like a 99.5 fever with chills, complete loss of energy and a sore throat. Pretty much over it now.

I know a few other students as well that got the same thing before me.

Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:19 PM   #15
zoggle101
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
Pneumonia in both lungs. Makes you really weak.
I spent several weeks as a child in the hospital as a two y.o. with double pneumonia. I get walking pneumonia every couple years it seems like, and it was every year from about sixth grade through hs. On top of asthma it was hard work trying to build endurance to play sports, and just being healthy for school. The smoking since sixth grade never helped with either. Thank goodness for edibles, JK.

Cmore thanks for the response, I didn't think so.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:49 AM   #16
pizzaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
I spent several weeks as a child in the hospital as a two y.o. with double pneumonia. I get walking pneumonia every couple years it seems like, and it was every year from about sixth grade through hs. On top of asthma it was hard work trying to build endurance to play sports, and just being healthy for school. The smoking since sixth grade never helped with either. Thank goodness for edibles, JK.
Have you ever gotten a pneumonia shot? I think I get them every two years. The doc convinced me that the vaccination would greatly reduce the potential for getting pneumonia again. I had quit smoking about 5 years before I got pneumonia. I think if I were still smoking when I had pnuemonia, with diminished and damaged lungs, I might have died.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:25 PM   #17
DrewD007
Think I must have it now. Severe aches and pains, but only mild congestion, headaches, and sore throat. Have also found myself to be quite nauseous as well.
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:50 AM   #18
Illinell
'03 IMPE All Star
I'm in NYC and my entire family got a prolonged cough/fever. Not too bad, but definitely sweeping the entire city it would seem. Started about a month ago and is starting to die down.

Pretty rough winter season in general.
Illinell is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:04 AM   #19
bmb777
Banned
My wife called in to work today and went to doctor today sick. When she left I woke up
and realized I felt horrible and called in as well.
bmb777 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:36 PM   #20
ChiCityHoops34
First time in years i didnt get the flu shot, and i have the flu. WTF
ChiCityHoops34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:19 PM   #21
bmb777
Banned
Yep sick again. 101fever. Sore throat. Cough. Lungs feel like they r on fire when I cough.
Went to doctor today. Got antibiotic, flonase, and prescription cough medicine.
bmb777 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | General Chat | Next Thread »