Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Photo: Hugh Thornton wore a Chief Illiniwek helmet decal in Senior Bowl

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:15 PM   #1
illini1
illini1's Avatar
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 561
I'm watching the Senior Bowl and Hugh Thornton has a big Chief decal on his helmet on the back part of his helmet! It looks great!
illini1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:18 PM   #2
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
I'm watching it right now as well and I don't see it on his helmet.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:21 PM   #3
illini1
illini1's Avatar
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 561
Here's a picture I took from my TV. Sorry for the bad quality.

illini1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:31 PM   #4
AHSIllini32
Banned
Posts: 8,257
Nice! Stupid NCAA!! That logo would be so sick on our helmets.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Lovethechief78
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 272
LOVE THIS!!!!!! Hugh Thornton, YOU are one fantastic Illini!

Sit on a tack and spin, NCAA!!
Lovethechief78 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:26 PM   #6
OrangeAndBlue217
OrangeAndBlue217's Avatar
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 4,312
Sooooo.... what does the NCAA do about this? Can they do anyhing?
OrangeAndBlue217 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:45 PM   #7
Lovethechief78
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
Sooooo.... what does the NCAA do about this? Can they do anyhing?
Another question is what our wonderful politcally correct alma mater will do about it...If they will hassle MI members for a 1 inch Chief logo on their OWN t-shirts during rehearsals, I'm sure they could and would yank any player of our out of a game for this.. MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL!
Lovethechief78 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:56 PM   #8
illini1
illini1's Avatar
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovethechief78 View Post
Another question is what our wonderful politcally correct alma mater will do about it...If they will hassle MI members for a 1 inch Chief logo on their OWN t-shirts during rehearsals, I'm sure they could and would yank any player of our out of a game for this.. MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL!
They can't do anything to him. He's going pro, so I doubt he's even enrolled in school this semester.
illini1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:01 PM   #9
skamin7
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 154
I love every minute of this. I remember all the players that had tat's related to the chief. It has been a while but I'm so glad someone is stepping up and doing this. He might be one of new favorite former players now.
skamin7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:56 PM   #10
uncle feisty
Posts: 4
Wait, Hugh Thornton was good enough to get invited to the Senior Bowl? My fault... That was not nice. I do like his helmet though!
uncle feisty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:09 PM   #11
wpr
wpr's Avatar
Location: Northern frontier of Illini Country
Posts: 5,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamin7 View Post
I love every minute of this. I remember all the players that had tat's related to the chief. It has been a while but I'm so glad someone is stepping up and doing this. He might be one of new favorite former players now.
yep. he gets a big bump up my list of favorite players.
nicely done Hugh. The NCAA can try and sanitize everything but there is still Freedom of Speech.

__________________
Will you follow me, one last time?
wpr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:19 AM   #12
rolo
Posts: 33
This makes me smile
rolo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:10 PM   #13
chiefini
chiefini's Avatar
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 805
Even though I'm not a Giants fan, I have always cheered for Dave Diehl from the University of Chief Illiniwek. I hope I have a new NFL Illini alum to cheer for. Good for you, Hugh Thornton. The Chief, forever and always

__________________
‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)
chiefini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:11 PM   #14
carmelillini
carmelillini's Avatar
Location: Hamilton Co.
Posts: 2,789
Take that you bunch of hypocrites in Indianapolis!
Oskee wow wow!
carmelillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:12 PM   #15
Illinigirl
Posts: 477
Love it! Wish our new helmets could have this!
Illinigirl is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:39 AM   #16
Illinnoying Orange
Illinnoying Orange's Avatar
Posts: 817
Big thumbs up to Hugh for wearing the chief decal!
Illinnoying Orange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:55 AM   #17
BZuppke
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 1,057
Did the announcers comment on it? Regardless, it is interesting (and comforting) to note that Illini still revere the Chief despite the NCAA and our craven BOT.
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:42 PM   #18
Illiniaaron
Location: Geneseo, IL
Posts: 830
I would love that on the helmets. How can you possibly look at that and not see it as an honorable depiction of a Native American? Can any of you answer this question for me-is the University still marketing merchandise with that logo, and if so, how can the NCAA keep it off the helmet? Thanks.
Illiniaaron is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:14 PM   #19
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Location: Johns Creek, GA
Posts: 2,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniaaron View Post
I would love that on the helmets. How can you possibly look at that and not see it as an honorable depiction of a Native American? Can any of you answer this question for me-is the University still marketing merchandise with that logo, and if so, how can the NCAA keep it off the helmet? Thanks.
The university is not. Part of the agreement was that the likeness of Chief remain a copyright owned by the University, and that the likeness was to never again be used, licensed, etc. Remaining inventory could be sold, but nothing new could be manufactured.

As to how it is not viewed as an honorable depiction--I guess it depends on where your great-great-great-great-great grandparents were born.

You can start here for how some of the UIUC faculty view it: http://www.ais.illinois.edu/mascot/
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:51 PM   #20
Illiniaaron
Location: Geneseo, IL
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
The university is not. Part of the agreement was that the likeness of Chief remain a copyright owned by the University, and that the likeness was to never again be used, licensed, etc. Remaining inventory could be sold, but nothing new could be manufactured.

As to how it is not viewed as an honorable depiction--I guess it depends on where your great-great-great-great-great grandparents were born.

You can start here for how some of the UIUC faculty view it: http://www.ais.illinois.edu/mascot/
Thanks Ransom. My larger point is that I think most Illini fans look at that symbol with admiration and respect. They don't want the visible depiction of the team name (I hate the term mascot in referring to Chief Illiniwek) to represent something that is derogatory or worthy of criticism. Although I am willing to admit that the qualities I find worthy of respect and admiration of Native Americans may be themselves born out of some of my own stereotypes.
Illiniaaron is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:23 PM   #21
northofgreen
Posts: 11
Chief copyright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
The university is not. Part of the agreement was that the likeness of Chief remain a copyright owned by the University, and that the likeness was to never again be used, licensed, etc. Remaining inventory could be sold, but nothing new could be manufactured.

As to how it is not viewed as an honorable depiction--I guess it depends on where your great-great-great-great-great grandparents were born.

You can start here for how some of the UIUC faculty view it: http://www.ais.illinois.edu/mascot/
If the University stops manufacturing Chief Illiniwek merchandise the copyright can become abandoned. The result being Chief merchandise of all kinds being manufactured. Therefore I believe that the University will manufacture t-shirts and baseball caps for a long time, essentially forever.
northofgreen is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:01 PM   #22
illinifan4249
illinifan4249's Avatar
Posts: 297
There is definately still chief stuff being produced. Gameday spirit started selling hats with the chief on them this year, online only, but still they are new as far as I know.
Here is a link to their page with Chief Merchandise
http://store.cstv.com/store.cfm?dept...9&store_id=378
illinifan4249 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:43 PM   #23
HsvIllini
HsvIllini's Avatar
Location: Alabama
Posts: 4,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan4249 View Post
There is definately still chief stuff being produced. Gameday spirit started selling hats with the chief on them this year, online only, but still they are new as far as I know.
Here is a link to their page with Chief Merchandise
http://store.cstv.com/store.cfm?dept...9&store_id=378
Even the official NCAA shopping site still sells it:

http://www.shopncaasports.com/NCAASp...rt_-_Navy_Blue
HsvIllini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:33 PM   #24
GilThorpe
GilThorpe's Avatar
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
Even the official NCAA shopping site still sells it:

http://www.shopncaasports.com/NCAASp...rt_-_Navy_Blue
if that logo is officially abandoned by the UI , then within a certain number of years (7 maybe?....perhaps a little more) it becomes public domain and anyone can sell apparel or stuff with the chief logo on it.

It is their way of continuing to "own" it.
GilThorpe is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:41 PM   #25
Illinir1
Illinir1's Avatar
Location: Morris, IL
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
Even the official NCAA shopping site still sells it:

http://www.shopncaasports.com/NCAASp...rt_-_Navy_Blue
What the ???? Someone needs to file a lawsuit against the NCAA for selling this hostile and offensive merchandise. What a farce the NCAA is.
Illinir1 is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump