Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois vs Indiana, Thursday, February 7th, 6:00pm CT, ESPN

Closed Thread

Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Game 24: Illinois (15-8, 2-7) vs Indiana (20-2, 8-1)

Thursday, February 7th

The Assembly Hall

Time: 6:00pm CT

TV: ESPN

Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:10 PM   #2
mdonsbach
Resistance is futile. We score 80. Problem is Indiana scores 90.

Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:28 PM   #3
illini ri0t
Banned
LoL!! Indy is red hot right now. Worst possible time for us to play them.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:30 PM   #4
rdk573
Banned
Blow-out alert!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:43 PM   #5
cmore
We lose big and I won't even care. I'm over it all. Is it jai alai season yet?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:01 PM   #6
jmm44
Illinois>>>Butler
Butler>Indiana

Therefore Illinois>>>>Indiana, we should blow them out.

But seriously, for some reason I have a good feeling about this one, which I did not have going into the Michigan and Wisconsin games.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:36 PM   #7
trevdv
Indiana - 79

Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:56 PM   #8
PGHillini11
I know people are saying don't play BP or DJ, but we have to. Realistically, if we can beat somehow beat either IU, Minny, or OSU then we will be back on track to the tourney berth.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:24 PM   #9
zkb18
Banned

IU 88

yeah im serious
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:30 PM   #10
UIIU
We need to play our best, and at this time BP is one of our best! IU is a solid team loaded with smart Basketball Players. I plan on hosting a party Thursday night there will be 20 people here and I will be only the Illini fan! Even my own daughter has turned on me! She will be enrolled at IU next year as a Freshmen!

GO ILLINI!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:31 PM   #11
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHillini11 View Post
I know people are saying don't play BP or DJ, but we have to. Realistically, if we can beat somehow beat either IU, Minny, or OSU then we will be back on track to the tourney berth.
Only thing this team needs to do is focus on playing better at both ends of the court. Tourney talk is not what they need right now. Need to tighten up the D in a major, major way to start with. IU is loaded. If we don't make some key adjustments defensively, we'll get pummeled by Zeller, Watford, Oladipo, etc.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:54 PM   #12
illini ri0t
Banned
BP 20 mins tops. Gotta earn each minute.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 08:49 PM   #13
-josh-
Calm, Collected, German.

Old Feb 3, 2013, 08:53 PM   #14
RecLeagueHero
Banned
I don't think I'll have the stomach to watch this one.

UI - 63
IU - 81
Old Feb 3, 2013, 09:03 PM   #15
BoolahBoolah
Banned
I'm going to pretend this game isn't happening.

We're staring straight at a 25+ point home loss.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:07 PM   #16
Brillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHillini11 View Post
It'd be great to win one of those games but I feel like you're assuming that we can chalk up some of the other games as wins right now. At this point, I don't believe that I could say with a straight face that I think we will win any of our remaining road games.

We might nab a win or two that we're not "supposed" to, but this team could just as easily lose a game against a "lesser" opponent. We're too damn inconsistent on offense and horrendous defensively.

I really think we need to put the tourney talk on the shelf for this season. Is it possible? Yes. Mathematically we have a chance...But, is it probable? Hell no! We've dug ourselves a trench with our start to the B1G season, which would be a challenge to get out of even if we were playing decent right now. Call me a pessimist, but I ran out of Maui/Gonzaga koolaid a couple weeks ago.

Oh and:
IU - 88
UI - 69
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:14 PM   #17
radiodj
Quote:
Originally Posted by -josh- View Post
I must admit, I cracked up when I saw this.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:18 PM   #18
SeattleSlim
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodj View Post
I must admit, I cracked up when I saw this.
Yeah, it'd be funny if it was staged. Unfortunately it probably wasn't.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:24 PM   #19
HeartofaChampion
As many weapons as IU has, you'd think we have to play a lot of 2-3 zone to have a chance defensively. JG seems intent on teaching m2m, and IU has some good outside shooters to contend with, but at least a 2-3 zone gives you a chance to contain Zeller, at least in theory. Take something away, such as the inside, and hope IU is cold from 3.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:37 PM   #20
Leonardite
If I was offered free tickets, I wouldn't go. I don't want to be there for the embarrassment this team is going to face Thursday. I go to a school in Indiana and I'm afraid to wear any Illini gear this week... I may get laughed at for doing so.

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:03 PM   #21
jrichisamazing
Keys to the game

1.) Try to get Zeller in foul trouble.

2.) Get Nanna and Tracy in more pick n rolls.

3.) Play Bertrand at the 4. We are going to need him and BP3 on the floor together because Oladipo is going to take one of them completely out of the game.

4.) The refs need to watch Zeller on the hooks. He does it almost everytime he spins towards the baseline.

This is officially the game you must win to keep the tourney hopes alive so now or never guys.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:08 PM   #22
classof2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardite View Post
If I was offered free tickets, I wouldn't go. I don't want to be there for the embarrassment this team is going to face Thursday. I go to a school in Indiana and I'm afraid to wear any Illini gear this week... I may get laughed at for doing so.
...Great support there
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:10 PM   #23
HeartofaChampion
IU likes to run, which actually plays into our favor. We play better against more uptempo teams like OSU, Gonzaga and MSU. I think we'll stay with them for awhile, but eventually their superior depth and skill will win out and wear us down in the 2nd half. That and Zeller will get lots of calls inside and end up shooting 10 to 12 FTs.

IU 79
UI 70
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:12 PM   #24
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
Keys to the game

1.) Try to get Zeller in foul trouble.

2.) Get Nanna and Tracy in more pick n rolls.

3.) Play Bertrand at the 4. We are going to need him and BP3 on the floor together because Oladipo is going to take one of them completely out of the game.

4.) The refs need to watch Zeller on the hooks. He does it almost everytime he spins towards the baseline.

This is officially the game you must win to keep the tourney hopes alive so now or never guys.
That has to be a consideration for part of the game. Watford plays the 4 for IU, and he's a true stretch 4 with a good face-up game but who doesn't like to post up much. JB can't play too long at the 4 because of our lack of depth on the perimeter, but some stints there could be very helpful. I think you'll see a lot of MyH at the 4 Thursday. He's quick enough to stay with Watford on the perimeter. Watford likes to shoot from outside, which means SML is not a good matchup for guarding him.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:24 PM   #25
rpare92
I will be there Thursday night just got my tickets from a buddy today. no reason we couldn't get hot and knock them off. We have nothing to lose at this point so we should play loose the pressure is on indy. If the hall is rocking and we play with energy and emotion then I like our chances. anyone can beat anybody on any given night.

and to everyone who is attending the game
GET HYPE AND BE LOUD!!!!
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »