Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Bracketology - The Week of February 4th

Closed Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Illinois a 9 seed on the bubble in Jerry Palm's updated bracket-

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

Last edited by Dan; Feb 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:28 AM   #2
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Illinois a 9 seed in Jerry Palm's updated bracket-

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology
I mean, I'll take it but wow...
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:29 AM   #3
krervin2
How?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:34 AM   #4
FeelYourPaign
This is my favorite bracket site, because they track about 60 different projections.
They show how recently each bracket was updated and then they average the results.
Illinois has been sitting on the good side of the bubble for about 10 days, currently at an 11 seed. Meaning barely in, but in.

http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix.htm

Last edited by FeelYourPaign; Feb 4, 2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Its 60 sites, not the 40 I said first draft
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:02 AM   #5
OrangeandBlue4eva
So let's say we somehow can win one game out of the next 2...still in the field?(Yes I know it is highly unlikely). I am guessing if we lose to Indiana and Minny we probbaly are on the outside looking in from that point on.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Leonardite
Need to win against Purdue, Penn State, Nebraska, Northwestern, Iowa to have a chance at getting in. Gives us 20 wins.

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:05 AM   #7
stlrunner
jakeyjakey
Strong RPI, and enough big wins. But, we have to win at least 7 conference games to have a chance to get in.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:20 AM   #8
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardite View Post
Need to win against Purdue, Penn State, Nebraska, Northwestern, Iowa to have a chance at getting in. Gives us 20 wins.
Those are the 5 I circled as wins about 2 weeks ago. I'm considering getting the eraser out for Purdue....we'll see.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:04 PM   #9
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
Those are the 5 I circled as wins about 2 weeks ago. I'm considering getting the eraser out for Purdue....we'll see.
at Iowa and at Northwestern are the ones to erase. Purdue may be the only team in the big ten playing worse than us right now.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:04 PM   #10
Illinipopo
Banned
Come on. Lets not do this to ourselves. After Thursday we will be 2-8 in Big Ten and would have to go 6-2 the rest of the way. We know this team does not have the mental makeup to do this. We are playing for Nit, period
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:21 PM   #11
CARPET
A Letter to Illinois Basketball team from the NIT
Dear Illinois Basketball Program,

We noticed your recent collapse against Wisconsin. We also noticed it seems to be a bit of a pattern.

In order to have a good chance at making the NCAA tournament we reckon a winning conference tourney would look great on your resume. Not to say that is an impossible task, but it certainly looks to be an uphill battle from here. There is a distinct possibility that your squad might miss the BIG DANCE. More is the pity.

However, we are here with some good news. The proverbial silver lining, as it were. Should you find yourselves unable to qualify for MARCH MADNESS, there is another option. US! Us being the NIT. We would love to have you. It might be as fancy as the other event, or have all the games televised. The winner might not be held in very high esteem, or have a yearly video game about it. Still, it isn't like kissing your sister, as some have opined. (Maybe like a second cousin? Is that something you would be okay with?)

In any case, we will be like the girl at the DANCE who isn't really pretty, but is better with a nice dress on and has a fantastic personality. While all the real jocks go with the pretty girls who go all the way, we will wait for the guys who don't want it quite as much. Don't get us wrong. We are wishing you luck. But like that girl, we are secretly hoping you don't get too lucky.

The NIT Selection Committee
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:27 PM   #12
Illini70math
And when we beat Indiana you guys will be going "Oh, well, I didn't know about that..."

If we actually started to play well again, we have enough winnable games plus the BTT. The concern is that we need to start playing well. We didn't pull out of our tailspin last season. That doesn't mean we can't do it this season.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:54 PM   #13
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini70math View Post
If we actually started to play well again, we have enough winnable games plus the BTT. The concern is that we need to start playing well. We didn't pull out of our tailspin last season. That doesn't mean we can't do it this season.
To be more specific, we need to start playing some defense. I think despite a few hiccups, the offense is actually doing OK at this point. We're starting to make some shots and the psychology seems better now.

Unfortunately I can't think of a worse team to be facing than IU when you're having trouble on defense. They've probably got the most diverse attack in the conference (country?), even if we buckle down and play well on defense, they're good enough to still score 80+ on us.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:16 PM   #14
IlliniSteve
Let us die peacefully.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:19 PM   #15
IceCuban
So does 20-12 (7-11) get us in? assuming we lose to the remaining ranked teams and beat the unranked teams? or do we need a win against IU/Minn/Mich/OSU?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:27 PM   #16
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCuban View Post
So does 20-12 (7-11) get us in? assuming we lose to the remaining ranked teams and beat the unranked teams? or do we need a win against IU/Minn/Mich/OSU?
It might, probably puts us on the bubble hoping for no mid major upsets, etc.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:28 PM   #17
bleedsorangenblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCuban View Post
I think 20-12 gets us in if we have a signature win over one of the 4 teams above. If not, we will be sweating come selection time. It would not be impossible to get in without the additional signature win but less likely IMHO. The selection comittee usually wants to see a team on the upswing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:44 PM   #18
joekam
Wow, honestly surprised considering the current slide of 2011-2012 proportions.

Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:46 PM   #19
jrichisamazing
If we go 20-12, it should be good enough to get in because of how strong the B1G is. It might depend on how much respect the committee gives to the A-10. There will be a handful of teams that will have 4+ more wins than we have but do they give them that respect. Slu, VCU, Umass, La Salle, are all examples. Also the Big East is proving to be stronger than expected and that could effect us as well.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:30 PM   #20
rolo
mute point. no way we get to seven wins in my opinion. the team has fallen apart. probably a bunch of good kids.....i like what the coach has to say.....but, the team just isn't good enough. that being said, i think the future is bright. coach groce will get his players, and i believe he can be the guy to get the job done.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:35 PM   #21
jasonu
With 7 wins, I'm guessing we'd all hear talk about 'win 1 in the B10 tourny' to make it in - get off the bubble. With 8, we are in. Both scenarios are unlikely at this point.

NIT...at least you can give the bench and the soph's more learning minutes/practices.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:40 PM   #22
mdonsbach
If we get to 7 wins we are going to give the commitee crazy fits with our pretty awesome non-conference resume.

Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:17 PM   #23
troyk
Banned
If he is discounting our current trajectory then I say he's pretty spot on.

However, considering we are nosediving right now, he should rethink his seedings.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:21 PM   #24
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonsbach View Post
If we get to 7 wins we are going to give the commitee crazy fits with our pretty awesome non-conference resume.
This is true...now, how to get to 7...sigh
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:56 PM   #25
trevdv
Our RPI is still in the top 40 in the NCAA.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »