Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

Lincoln to possibly leave Central State 8

Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:00 PM   #1
dansaint
and going to the Corn Belt Conference????

http://www.sj-r.com/sports/x93079586...mally-with-CS8

Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Shief
They were talking about Lincoln doing that last year about this time. We will see if they finally do but I am not holding my breath. I would love for my old high school (Fairbury Prairie Central H.S.) to play one of my pledge brother's high school and beat them in almost every sport, except maybe basketball.

The article says the Corn Belt might lose someone, I have no idea who would leave other than Pontiac or Mahomet, might be interested in the Big 12. I would be more likely to believe Lincoln, Illinois Valley Central (Chillicothe), St. Thomas More (Champaign) and maybe Monticello would try to join the Corn Belt.

Last edited by Shief; Feb 5, 2013 at 08:18 PM.
Shief is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:14 PM   #3
dansaint
I'm a Lincoln grad myself. Class of '97

Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Shief
This article says that Lincoln, Streator, and Chillicothe IVC are interested and all make plenty of sense. Just more food for thought but I would willingly take them plus maybe Monticello (might be too small, lacking athletic strength) and St. Thomas More (again size and strength).

http://www.lincolncourier.com/topsto...elt-Conference
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:29 PM   #5
dansaint
hate to see rivalry with Lanphier and Southeast end...but would be cool to see Eureka and U-High coming to Roy S.

Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:45 PM   #6
zoggle101
It should make them more competitive in baseball, football, and soccer. We always had those games circled as W's against Lincoln. Basketball was a different story. Komnick, Cook, and Alexander all played while I was in hs. They were always tough.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:54 PM   #7
Shief
Baseball will be a tall order. Stanford Olympia, Fairbury Prairie Central, and sometimes Normal U-High have very strong baseball teams. Football they would have a better chance but Pontiac, Mahomet, Central Catholic, U-High , and Prairie Central are always strong and would give Lincoln a run. Soccer, I think only a few schools have a team (Central Catholic, U-High, Mahomet, Olympia) but it may help encourage the other schools to start teams.

Last edited by Shief; Feb 5, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:02 AM   #8
illiniracers
As a former Lincoln resident for 18 years or so I would be sad to see Lincoln leave the CS8. I totally see the reasoning for it though as our enrollment has been on a steady decline since I graduated in '04. Hopefully we could still schedule the Springfield schools in bball. All the other sports we would benefit from greatly imho.
illiniracers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:51 AM   #9
MikeThomas4Prez
Wonder who the Corn Belt might lose. I would hate to see Pontiac, Mahomet, or U-High leave. I sure enjoyed kicking their butts back in high school.
MikeThomas4Prez is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:32 AM   #10
Shief
If you read the article I posted it states that Rantoul is leaving for the Okaw Valley (Clinton, Monticello, Sullivan, Tolono (Unity), Tuscola, ...). This is not too surprising as they are not very competitive in any sports with the other Corn Belt members but with nearly 744 students so they will be probably be the big boy in the Okaw Valley. Rantoul used to be part of the Big 12 (Bloomington-Normal, Champaign-Urbana, Decatur schools) only 10 years ago but since the Air Force base shut down the enrollment has declined.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:44 AM   #11
MikeThomas4Prez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shief View Post
If you read the article I posted it states that Rantoul is leaving for the Okaw Valley (Clinton, Monticello, Sullivan, Tolono (Unity), Tuscola, ...). This is not too surprising as they are not very competitive in any sports with the other Corn Belt members but with nearly 744 students so they will be probably be the big boy in the Okaw Valley. Rantoul used to be part of the Big 12 (Bloomington-Normal, Champaign-Urbana, Decatur schools) only 10 years ago but since the Air Force base shut down the enrollment has declined.
thanks, guess I should have read your article. To me Rantoul never fit anyways.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:47 AM   #12
Wokker
As someone who grew up on the Olympia-Lincoln border, thiswould be cool to see. Oly always used to play Lincoln in football up until rantoul and Eureka were added ~8 years ago. Geographically, Lincoln makes more sense than Rantucky.

I could see Mahomet possibly leaving. It seems like they were always athletically superior (coming from oly that doesn't mean a whole lot)
Wokker is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:49 AM   #13
Wokker
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThomas4Prez View Post
thanks, guess I should have read your article. To me Rantoul never fit anyways.
Agreed
Wokker is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:06 AM   #14
Shief
Personally I think Rantoul fit ok in the conference, they just need some solid athletic classes to move up. They will probably dominate the Okaw and look to move back up later.

I can definitely see Mahomet looking at leaving one day for the Big 12 to play Champaign-Urbana schools or Bloomington Central Catholic/Normal University to Big 12 also to play other Bloomington-Normal schools.

I would wholeheartedly welcome Lincoln, Chillicothe IVC, Streator, or Peoria Notre Dame to the Corn Belt if I was in charge of it. Thankfully all the existing and proposed schools would be less than 2 hours travel between.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:20 AM   #15
MikeThomas4Prez
Quote:
Personally I think Rantoul fit ok in the conference, they just need some solid athletic classes to move up. They will probably dominate the Okaw and look to move back up later.

I can definitely see Mahomet looking at leaving one day for the Big 12 to play Champaign-Urbana schools or Bloomington Central Catholic/Normal University to Big 12 also to play other Bloomington-Normal schools.

I would wholeheartedly welcome Lincoln, Chillicothe IVC, Streator, or Peoria Notre Dame to the Corn Belt if I was in charge of it. Thankfully all the existing and proposed schools would be less than 2 hours travel between.
To me Rantoul never really had a big rival in the conference though. I dont see BCC leaving for the Big 12, their enrollment is just too low to compete with some of the bigger schools.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:23 AM   #16
wpr
The shake ups continue.

I miss the old days with the Mid State 9 out of Peoria. NCIC and Rockford area's Big 9 then NIC 10. Well I guess it is NIC 10 again now that Belvidere has 2 schools but it hasn't seemed the same since West closed.

I have watched over the years as the schools in the counties around Peoria keep changing conferences. I moved north back in '73 and it is really hard for me to keep them straight in my mind.
wpr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:38 AM   #17
wpr
Chillicothe IVC, has always seemed like nomadic wanderers to me. Where were they before they joined the NCIC in 2006?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:45 AM   #18
Shief
Chillicothe IVC has kinda bounced around a lot. Right now they are part of the Mid-State Six with Peoria, Peoria Richwoods, Peoria Manuel, Peoria Notre Dame, and Quincy Notre Dame. If IVC and Peoria Notre Dame leave for the Corn Belt, maybe the Peoria schools could offset Decatur leaving the Big 12 and join Bloomington-Normal, Champaign-Urbana, and Danville schools and actually have the conference be closer to 12 members.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:56 AM   #19
wpr
Quote:
Chillicothe IVC has kinda bounced around a lot. Right now they are part of the Mid-State Six with Peoria, Peoria Richwoods, Peoria Manuel, Peoria Notre Dame, and Quincy Notre Dame. If IVC and Peoria Notre Dame leave for the Corn Belt, maybe the Peoria schools could offset Decatur leaving the Big 12 and join Bloomington-Normal, Champaign-Urbana, and Danville schools and actually have the conference be closer to 12 members.
thanks shief I know where IVC is now. I was just wondering where they have been. (Pre NCIC.) I couldn't find the info on the net.

edit- I found they were in the Mid-Illini for awhile.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:09 AM   #20
Shief
wpr, I just found that they were in the Mid-Illini just as you edited. I would think they might have a rivalry with Dunlap, Metamora, or the other Peoria area schools but who knows. Hopefully IVC finds somewhere they actually fit.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:18 AM   #21
wpr
Quote:
wpr, I just found that they were in the Mid-Illini just as you edited. I would think they might have a rivalry with Dunlap, Metamora, or the other Peoria area schools but who knows. Hopefully IVC finds somewhere they actually fit.
thanks.

Yeah I have always liked IVC for some reason. Prob because I lucked out and won a 4th place trophy at a freshman wrestling tournament when I was in HS. Only one won match but I got the trophy sitting somewhere collecting dust.

Mother on the other hand went to Washburn back in the late 40's- early 50's. She always said they had to watch out for those Chillicothe kids. They were "river rats" and they were always tough. So she didn't really care for them much. I once asked her if they were any tougher than those "farm kids". She assured me they where.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:47 PM   #22
dansaint
IVC voted in...Lincoln not selected to join Corn Belt.
http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/hig...a4bcf887a.html

Now it makes you wonder if the CS8 will start looking to cut ties with Lincoln seeing as they were looking to leave.

Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:20 AM   #23
Illinnoying Orange
Maybe Lincolc will look to get in the Apollo conference now. That seems like a better fit for them anyways.
Illinnoying Orange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:53 AM   #24
wpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinnoying Orange View Post
Maybe Lincolc will look to get in the Apollo conference now. That seems like a better fit for them anyways.
all their games would be a long drive. I can't imagine they would go for that.

Paris is 125 miles and 2 hours. Salem 140 miles and 2 1/2 hours.

Keep in mind there are more than Friday night football games. There will be Tuesday or Wed track meets that don't get finished until late then the long ride home. Kids will not be able to get all their homework done on time. It happened with my kids when they were in sports.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:06 AM   #25
Shief
Thought, some news article mentioned that Peoria Notre Dame inquired once. If Lincoln and Peoria ND could make a move together I bet it could benefit all. The Corn Belt would add a strong all around school in ND, the basketball competition would increase with Lincoln and ND, and teams would not need to schedule out of conference football games again with 10 members.

« Previous Thread | General Sports Chat | Next Thread »