Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

News & Notes - February 8th

Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:46 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Griffey makes the right move for Illinois

"It's pretty amazing to think about it,'' said Griffey. "I'm still hyperventilating. People were yelling at me on the street. This hasn't sunk in yet.''

Griffey said the play call was one they had run in practice. He said the ball was placed out of bounds in an awkward spot on the side. For whatever reason, Indiana's Yogi Ferrell, Watford and Cody Zeller all were faced in one direction, leaving Griffey alone to cut to the basket with no one watching.

"It was bizarre how it happened,'' Griffey said. "I couldn't believe no one was in front of me to the basket.''

Andy Katz
Quote:
Illinois topples No. 1 Indiana

"I just made a simple curl cut and Brandon made a heck of a pass," Griffey said. "It was part of a read. I didn't expect (Cody) Zeller and (Christian) Watford right in front of me. They both kind of just stayed there."

Shannon Ryan
Quote:
Tyler Griffey's layup helps Illini upset No. 1 Indiana

"We played tough today," coach John Groce said. "We played together. We trusted one another. We played the right way. It's a big step today. Because in some games in the past when we've gotten down, we haven't trusted the system defensively. Today we stuck to what we were supposed to do for the full 40 mintues and didn't flinch."

Herb Gould
Quote:
Tournament hopes brighten after Griffey, Illinois stun No. 1 Indiana

"My old college said the best in-bounders have the guts of a burgler and (Paul) had it there," Groce said. "He let the play develop, then made a great read and a great pass."

Tupper
Quote:
UI 74, No. 1 Indiana 72: 'Finally'

"I just said to myself 'Finally,' " said Griffey, who scored 14 points and had a season-high eight rebounds.

"I've gotten a lot of shots up from when I started missing until now, so much so that my wrist has been hurting. I've been talking to (athletic trainer) Paul (Schmidt) about getting ice and treatment on my wrist. Once I saw that one go down, it was a good confidence-builder."

Marcus Jackson
Quote:
UI 74, No. 1 Indiana: Notebook

Borup sang the national anthem before the Illinois-Missouri game in St. Louis this year, and said he has performed the anthem about 14 or 15 times at various sporting events at Illinois during his time there, including the men's basketball game against Gardner-Webb on Nov. 25.

"I'm going to be excited," Borup said while sitting in an A section seat behind the Indiana bench before the game. "It's going to be fun. This is the first time I've ever done it for a sellout at Assembly Hall. I'm hoping to kick things off right."

http://www.illinihq.com/sports/illin...-notebook.html
Quote:
The Big Five

Eddie Johnson's jumper.
Nick Anderson's 35 footer.
Andy Kauffman's three.
Deron Williams' three.
And Tyler Griffey's layup.

In my lifetime, those are the Big Five. Those are the remember-where-you-were moments. There are others, of course -- Frankie at the buzzer to beat Ohio State, Marcus Griffin and the inbounds play against Wisconsin, Cory Bradford's three against Indiana in the Big Ten Tournament -- but given the circumstances, those are the Big Five. The first one knocked off #1 Michigan State. The second one shoved a dagger through Bobby Knight and 17,000 stunned Hoosier fans. The third one was a kick to Bruce Pearl's face. The fourth one was the greatest moment in Illini history and sent us to the Final Four. And the fifth one knocked off #1 Indiana in Champaign at the buzzer to cap a 13-2 run to close the game.

http://alioneye.com/2013/02/07/the-big-five/
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:02 AM   #2
Clete1
Groce is supposed to be on the Score at 8:40 this morning...
Clete1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:14 AM   #3
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clete1 View Post
you can listen here - http://chicago.cbslocal.com/station/670-the-score/

wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on waddle and silvy too.
cjcastan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:17 AM   #4
bigruss22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clete1 View Post
Awesome, keep up the media hype in Chicago.
bigruss22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:56 AM   #5
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
you can listen here - http://chicago.cbslocal.com/station/670-the-score/

wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on waddle and silvy too.
Yup JG @ 9am on ESPN 1000

http://espn.go.com/chicago/radio/new...ago/listenlive
cjcastan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Numbers to Know: Thursday recap

Clutch Performance of the Night – D.J. Richardson, Illinois
Richardson went on a personal 8-0 run in the final three minutes against Indiana to tie the game before Tyler Griffey won the game with a buzzer-beating layup. Richardson scored 23 points, the second-highest total of his career. Illinois is now 5-0 in Richardson’s career when he scores at least 20 points.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...ursday-recap-8
RT @RT @daniel_borup You know it! RT @adam_booher: is that you in the picture on front of @TheDailyIllini sports section? http://pic.twitter.com/oLhjjLFm

RT @KLC4ILLINI @IlliniHoops @IllinoisLoyalty Love this front page courtesy of Griffey's hometown. http://pic.twitter.com/NablzTMZ

RT @IlliniHoops Some great photos of last night's #Illini win over No. 1: http://on.fb.me/XX3hxe . Love this one by @illiniphotog: pic.twitter.com/yT1Vh78G

Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:15 PM   #7
-josh-
Banana no more
I'm still pretty pumped from last night, i feel like i was up all night drinking Monster energy drinks, the green ones with like 1000 grams of sugar...

Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Botb9
Realist
Don't think the Medcalf article was posted yet. He offers a nice mea culpa:

Medcalf

Quote:
The Illini deserve a lot of credit for what they overcame in that win in Champaign.
I may owe this Illinois group an apology after weeks of questioning its heart, toughness and talent.
I certainly owe the game a promise: I’m through with assumptions.

Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:57 PM   #9
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
Don't think the Medcalf article was posted yet. He offers a nice mea culpa:

Medcalf
Not good enough! I want his head on a platter! May his descendants be barren for seven generations (think about it)!

Unforgivin'

Illini70math is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:28 PM   #10
WesterveltVictoryCigar

WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:32 PM   #11
IlliniJeffrey
Can anyone find a link to Don Fischer's call of the end of the game on IU's radio network. I'd like to hear that, if it can be found!
IlliniJeffrey is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:35 PM   #12
ILLSauce
Director of the Ekey Fan Club
Watching the replay on BTN, I am so upset with myself for not watching the last 3:30. I feel beyond terrible, I apologize to the team and Coach Groce. I gave up on them and I feel like a terrible fan. I never leave a game early or turn a game off early.

Never again.
ILLSauce is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:35 PM   #13
Dan
Admin

Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:36 PM   #14
-josh-
Banana no more
That kid needs the old five across the eyes parenting technique performed on him. Quit your crying or it's bread and butter for breakfast lunch and dinner for a week!

Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:42 PM   #15
Railsplitter
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by -josh- View Post
That kid needs the old five across the eyes parenting technique performed on him. Quit your crying or it's bread and butter for breakfast lunch and dinner for a week!
Kic must be a Weber fan.
Railsplitter is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:47 AM   #16
ILLinhere
After my 50th view of these highlights I realized Paul did an amazing job with that pass. He never even looked at Griffey keeping his defender focused away from the baseline. Real smart move.
ILLinhere is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:10 AM   #17
TheBossIllini
Hoosier daddy, sounds about right
TheBossIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:14 AM   #18
Symmooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Excellent job on the music video, kudos.
Symmooth is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:26 AM   #19
schlagboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by -josh- View Post
You said it man. How about bread with orange marmalade and blueberry jam in the design of you little brat!!
schlagboy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:29 AM   #20
Symmooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSauce View Post
Watching the replay on BTN, I am so upset with myself for not watching the last 3:30. I feel beyond terrible, I apologize to the team and Coach Groce. I gave up on them and I feel like a terrible fan. I never leave a game early or turn a game off early.

Never again.
I was watching a movie on my computer and checking the Yahoo box-score now and then, planning to watch the end in case they got close.

When there was that much time left and Egwu fouled out, I didn't check again for awhile, figuring the game was toast, so the next time I checked I saw:

Final: IU 72 UI 74, Holy Crap~~!

My bad, wish I had those 3:30 back.
At least the movie was good. :laugh:
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:34 AM   #21
Symmooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLinhere View Post
After my 50th view of these highlights I realized Paul did an amazing job with that pass. He never even looked at Griffey keeping his defender focused away from the baseline. Real smart move.
Yep, I noticed that too. Great use of his peripheral vision to not telegraph the pass. IU was obviously not expecting a pass close to the basket and BP did a great decoy job.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:36 AM   #22
derekholcomb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSauce View Post

Never again.
I left the Jeff George Comeback against Indiana in 1988. I learned my lesson then.
derekholcomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:00 PM   #23
illini80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLinhere View Post
I agree that BP may not have gotten enough credit for the pass. If it hadn't been perfect the shot would not have counted.
illini80 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:49 PM   #24
Illinigirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Totally got the chills watching this video. So happy for the players, and hope they can carry over some of this play into tomorrow at Minnesota.
Illinigirl is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 01:02 PM   #25
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmooth View Post
Excellent job on the music video, kudos.
IPHD does great work! Can't wait for the next episode of TNT!
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »