Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:55 PM   #1
AzIlliniFan
All I can say is WOW!

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/wr...ad-call-021213
AzIlliniFan is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:59 PM   #2
DanvIllini
Super Lurker
Now I never watch wrestling because it is pretty boring but isn't wrestling one of the original olympic sports??
DanvIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:28 PM   #3
MikeThomas4Prez
Eh, I can understand why people involved in the sport would be upset. But honestly I could care less. I never watched it in the olympics. To me its very boring, at least on TV, and it probably gets horrible ratings for NBC (or whatever sister station they put it on).

I'd much rather watch golf, which they added last year.
MikeThomas4Prez is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:34 PM   #4
cmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThomas4Prez View Post
Eh, I can understand why people involved in the sport would be upset. But honestly I could care less. I never watched it in the olympics. To me its very boring, at least on TV, and it probably gets horrible ratings for NBC (or whatever sister station they put it on).

I'd much rather watch golf, which they added last year.
Ill take it a step farther and say that I could not care less.
cmore is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:56 PM   #5
MikeThomas4Prez
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmore View Post
Ill take it a step farther and say that I could not care less.
touche
MikeThomas4Prez is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:29 PM   #6
ct3illini
Put me in the shocked and disgusted camp. Olympics becoming joke...
ct3illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:22 AM   #7
Shenanigans
Hmmm...don't care.

Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:59 AM   #8
HsvIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanvIllini View Post
Now I never watch wrestling because it is pretty boring but isn't wrestling one of the original olympic sports??
I thought it was
HsvIllini is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:19 AM   #9
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
If there was any doubt that the IOC is rife w/assbags, there isn't anymore.

Clearly, the IOC needs to add more sports like synchronized swimming, ice dancing, rhythmic gymnastics. Ugh!
Joel Goodson is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:43 AM   #10
Thacher_H_Guild
It would be cool if they could combine one of those sports above with wrestling. Any one of them would be improved by adding tackling and/or grappling.
Thacher_H_Guild is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:16 PM   #11
Illinnoying Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct3illini View Post
Olympics becoming joke...
Yes the IOC are a bunch of clowns for making a decision like this. Unbelieveable that they would cut one of the original olympic sports, which requires athleticism, strength, speed, and about everything that an olympic sport should be about.

Jeez, if I wanted to go watch golf, archery & synchronized swimming, I'd go visit a retirement community in Florida.
Illinnoying Orange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:54 PM   #12
ct3illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinnoying Orange View Post
Yes the IOC are a bunch of clowns for making a decision like this. Unbelieveable that they would cut one of the original olympic sports, which requires athleticism, strength, speed, and about everything that an olympic sport should be about.

Jeez, if I wanted to go watch golf, archery & synchronized swimming, I'd go visit a retirement community in Florida.
Watching synchronized swimming at a retirement community might be rough going !

Seriously, 30 different countries won medals in wrestling last time. One doesn't need special equipment, it is one of the most foundational, accessible, and universal sports in the world. Everyone is good at it. Plus, wrestling was a part of the ancient games, and was the first non-track and field sport added to the modern olympics. This is insanity.
ct3illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:30 PM   #13
2old2remember
As long as they have kept synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics with its ribbons and the like, I guess the Olympics are saved!
2old2remember is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:07 PM   #14
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2old2remember View Post
As long as they have kept synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics with its ribbons and the like, I guess the Olympics are saved!
While I personally dislike both of those as Olympic sports, the one sport that has really irked me the most is Equestrian sports. Using an animal and it's abilities, which are more determinate in winning or losing, is just totally unacceptable in the modern Olympics. Some may use the counter argument of bicycles, or bows, or other equipment. But in those instances the human Olympian can choose to use the exact same equipment, or not. Not so in the Equestrian sports.
AzIlliniFan is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:09 PM   #15
IlliniFan1988
Banned
Not a wrestling fan per se, but still absolutely absurd. One of the foundation sports that embodies everything the Olympics stand for gone...unreal. Surely someone could go NASCAR on those unitards to keep the sport on TV and get sponsors that needed TV time.
IlliniFan1988 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:05 AM   #16
Illini87InClt
Since wrestling is one of the original sports for the Olympics and one of the earliest sports known to mankind, dropping wrestling is like dropping the marathon. I am not a wrestling fan and wrestling is no longer a big draw, but it seems that wrestling should have a place at the Olympics over some of the niche sports that have been added to the modern Olympics.
Illini87InClt is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:58 PM   #17
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
While I personally dislike both of those as Olympic sports, the one sport that has really irked me the most is Equestrian sports. Using an animal and it's abilities, which are more determinate in winning or losing, is just totally unacceptable in the modern Olympics. Some may use the counter argument of bicycles, or bows, or other equipment. But in those instances the human Olympian can choose to use the exact same equipment, or not. Not so in the Equestrian sports.
Good point. Totally agree.

The IOC has added a bunch of junk competitions and they want to cut wrestling? Boggle. These assbags are raking in how much from TV rights? Is wresting really cutting into their junket/soiree money? WTF?
Joel Goodson is online now Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | General Sports Chat | Next Thread »