Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

2/13 Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:40 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 28,829
The February 13th college basketball games thread.


Tonight's non-Illini Big Ten game-

Nebraska at Indiana, 6:00pm CT, BTN


B1G standings-
_____________________Conf______+/-____Overall
1.__Michigan State___10-2______4______21-4
2.__Indiana___________9-2______4______21-3
3.__Wisconsin_________8-3______2______17-7
4.__Michigan__________8-4______3______21-4
5.__Ohio State________7-4______2______17-6
6.__Minnesota_________5-6______-1_____17-7
____Purdue____________5-6______-1_____12-12
8.__Illinois__________4-7______-2_____17-8
____Iowa______________4-7______-1_____15-9
____Northwestern______4-7______-1_____13-11
11._Nebraska__________3-8______-3_____12-12
12._Penn State________0-11_____-6______8-15

+/- = +1 for B1G road win, -1 for B1G home loss.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Foo G
Underwear model
Foo G's Avatar
Location: Kirksville, MO
Posts: 3,120
Wisconsin is in really good position.

__________________
Be the person your dog thinks you are.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Foo G is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:14 AM   #3
AEX
Posts: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo G View Post
Wisconsin is in really good position.
No doubt. Remaining games @Minn, vs. OSU, @NW, vs. Neb., vs. PU, @MSU, @PSU. Two toss ups followed by 4 (out of 5) games they should win. The only one that looks like a certain loss is @MSU.

They've certainly had a favorable schedule, playing Indiana and Michigan only once. And, of course, they've made the most of these so far, beating IU at IU and Mich. at home.

They also play Purdue and NW only once, with Purdue being a home game and NW being on the road, which works out in their favor, Purdue being the tougher match-up.

I don't know why I'm trying to make excuses for their success (yes I do, I hate them); but they've certainly made the most of their schedule.
AEX is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:34 PM   #4
WinOrElse
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEX View Post
No doubt. Remaining games @Minn, vs. OSU, @NW, vs. Neb., vs. PU, @MSU, @PSU. Two toss ups followed by 4 (out of 5) games they should win. The only one that looks like a certain loss is @MSU.

They've certainly had a favorable schedule, playing Indiana and Michigan only once. And, of course, they've made the most of these so far, beating IU at IU and Mich. at home.

They also play Purdue and NW only once, with Purdue being a home game and NW being on the road, which works out in their favor, Purdue being the tougher match-up.

I don't know why I'm trying to make excuses for their success (yes I do, I hate them); but they've certainly made the most of their schedule.
They've done a heckuva job up to this point. Ryan would get my vote for Big Ten Coach of the Year as of right now.
WinOrElse is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:06 PM   #5
trevdv
trevdv's Avatar
Location: Champaign
Posts: 3,013
#4 Michigan during their "gauntlet" stretch won just as many games Illinois did during theirs. And the Illini actually have a leg up on the Wolverines, because they beat Indiana during that stretch and scUM didn't.

__________________
That's a winner!
Video producer for Illini Video HD (http://www.youtube.com/user/97illinifan)
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Foo G
Underwear model
Foo G's Avatar
Location: Kirksville, MO
Posts: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinOrElse View Post
They've done a heckuva job up to this point. Ryan would get my vote for Big Ten Coach of the Year as of right now.
I'd have to vote for Izzo.
MSU has much less depth to work with, and therefore less margin for error when it comes to fouls, injuries, etc.
Either way, those teams have both maxed out the potential of their players.

__________________
Be the person your dog thinks you are.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Foo G is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:27 PM   #7
JimmyChitwood
JimmyChitwood's Avatar
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo G View Post
I'd have to vote for Izzo.
MSU has much less depth to work with, and therefore less margin for error when it comes to fouls, injuries, etc.
Either way, those teams have both maxed out the potential of their players.
No way..Izzo has a lot more talent on his team...Wisconsin has Carrot Top and one good freshman that isnt as good as MSU's one good freshman..
JimmyChitwood is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:15 PM   #8
zpfled
zpfled's Avatar
Location: Morton, IL
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
#4 Michigan during their "gauntlet" stretch won just as many games Illinois did during theirs. And the Illini actually have a leg up on the Wolverines, because they beat Indiana during that stretch and scUM didn't.
Well, the Wolverines also have a leg up on us, in that they beat us at our home.
zpfled is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:28 PM   #9
OrangeAndBlue217
OrangeAndBlue217's Avatar
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinOrElse View Post
They've done a heckuva job up to this point. Ryan would get my vote for Big Ten Coach of the Year as of right now.
If we finish strong, maybe win a couple game sin the B1G tourney and get a decent seed. For being a first year coach with the history this group of players has had, how does Groce not get it?
OrangeAndBlue217 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:33 PM   #10
PointGuardU01
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinOrElse View Post
They've done a heckuva job up to this point. Ryan would get my vote for Big Ten Coach of the Year as of right now.
Almost any year...it's amazing how good he is in conference (and annoying). I thought this may be the year they finally didn't have enough to make it work...and they may end up winning the toughest Big Ten since 1989.
PointGuardU01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:53 PM   #11
Frankie Williams
Frankie Williams's Avatar
Location: Carbondale, IL
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinOrElse View Post
They've done a heckuva job up to this point. Ryan would get my vote for Big Ten Coach of the Year as of right now.
Agreed. He doesn't have the talent coming in like other top programs, but is still top 4 in the big ten every year. He gets the most out of his players and thats what a great coach does.
Frankie Williams is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:03 PM   #12
illinoisfan11
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinOrElse View Post
They've done a heckuva job up to this point. Ryan would get my vote for Big Ten Coach of the Year as of right now.
Agreed. I think that, year in and year out, Bo Ryan is one of the best coaches in America. That being said, I can't stand him or his weasel face. But the man can coach.
illinoisfan11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:14 PM   #13
WinOrElse
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
If we finish strong, maybe win a couple game sin the B1G tourney and get a decent seed. For being a first year coach with the history this group of players has had, how does Groce not get it?
We'd pretty much have to win our last 7 games for Groce to have a shot. That would be fantastic, but I'm pretty sure the awards are announced after the regular season and before the BTT, so what happens after the regular season would have no bearing. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, my vote for Ryan would be as of right now. Lots of basketball to be played yet.
WinOrElse is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:33 PM   #14
sapan1030
Banned
Posts: 828
Indiana's been playing real angry since they lost to us. And Hulls got a haircut!
sapan1030 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:50 PM   #15
IlliniRunIn07
IlliniRunIn07's Avatar
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,015
Just watching this blowout in Bloomington. Someone should really tell the cheerleaders to shut the hell up the last few minutes of a game this lopsided. Nails on a chalkboard.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:59 AM   #16
Foo G
Underwear model
Foo G's Avatar
Location: Kirksville, MO
Posts: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyChitwood View Post
No way..Izzo has a lot more talent on his team...Wisconsin has Carrot Top and one good freshman that isnt as good as MSU's one good freshman..
Izzo has talent, but not depth.
Wisconsin is able to bring guys like Kaminsky, Dekkar, and Marshall off the bench.
Michigan St has Valentine right now and not much else with Trice being out.

__________________
Be the person your dog thinks you are.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Foo G is offline Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Forum Jump