Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

D.J. Richardson having a senior season to remember

Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Once again, the bright spot offensively for Illinois was D.J. Richardson, who scored 18 points on 11 shots. The senior guard is having the best conference season of his career, and it's not even close.

In the past, Richardson has had a nasty habit of disappearing in conference play, but he's thriving in his final go-round. Richardson has had similar numbers to former Iowa guard Matt Gatens his entire career, and it looks like he is duplicating Gatens' fantastic senior season. Good thing for the Illini, as running mate Brandon Paul is in a bit of a slump. Paul scored three points and fouled out against Purdue, making the big margin all the more impressive.

http://btn.com/2013/02/15/big-ten-geeks-boiling-over-2/
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:34 AM   #2
PointGuardU01
So happy for DJ. He deserves anything positive that comes his way.
PointGuardU01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:41 AM   #3
IlliniSteve
I've been frustrated with his play since his freshman season, but he is really playing the best ball of his collegiate career right now. And no better time than in your senior season, helping your team reach the NCAA Tourney. Same can be said about Griff.
IlliniSteve is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:44 AM   #4
ILLINISTU
I've noticed DJ showing more leadership in the last several games, leading with his play and vocally, showing real enthusiam for the game. I remember the talk about a month ago that we were lacking senior leadership, nice to see DJ step up when BP and TG were off their game. It's really sparked our team as of late, I think having another go to guy really improves teams confidence.

Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:48 AM   #5
ILLSauce
Director of the Ekey Fan Club
Mike Davis-esque only hopefully better
ILLSauce is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:00 AM   #6
EllderIlliniFan
If Brandon recovers as DJ and TG have, it could be an interesting March
EllderIlliniFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Hugh Jorgen
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllderIlliniFan View Post
IF those 3 return to their early season non-conference form all simultaneously, and IF we stay healthy, we could be a very dangerous team in the NCAA tourney. When our shots are falling, any team is game.
Hugh Jorgen is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:16 AM   #8
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
The big thing is that DJ is healthy finally and confident. He had some lingering injuries both his soph and junior year so give him credit for trying to play through it. Need to get Paul back on track and this team suddenly becomes very dangerous.
BrooksTaylorFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:41 PM   #9
OrchardDowns
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSauce View Post
Mike Davis-esque only hopefully better
Exactly what I was thinking too. Glad to see it!!!
OrchardDowns is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:09 PM   #10
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllderIlliniFan View Post
Exactly...

Plus Egwu and Abrams have both shown signs of improvement throughout the course of the season. Joe Bertrand does what he does, and provides that energy off the bench and scoring when we need it.

If Myke Henry can string together a couple of games and provide an additional scoring threat off the bench, even if it is 4-6 points per, we could really be on to something.

Besides BP being in a semi-slump, everyone seems to be peaking and getting better as we go along... that is a great sign potentially.

I need to stop chugging the kool-aid.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Kramer116 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:37 PM   #11
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Exactly...

Plus Egwu and Abrams have both shown signs of improvement throughout the course of the season. Joe Bertrand does what he does, and provides that energy off the bench and scoring when we need it.

If Myke Henry can string together a couple of games and provide an additional scoring threat off the bench, even if it is 4-6 points per, we could really be on to something.

Besides BP being in a semi-slump, everyone seems to be peaking and getting better as we go along... that is a great sign potentially.

I need to stop chugging the kool-aid.
You may be right though. If BP will take a few shots inside the arc before launching a barrage of bombs, he may be able to get back on track. He's really at his best when he uses the 3 to augment his game rather than as his game.

DJ has been a monster of late. Hopefully he can keep that pace up. His confidence with his ball handling has dramatically improved as well.

Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:52 PM   #12
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
You may be right though. If BP will take a few shots inside the arc before launching a barrage of bombs, he may be able to get back on track. He's really at his best when he uses the 3 to augment his game rather than as his game.

DJ has been a monster of late. Hopefully he can keep that pace up. His confidence with his ball handling has dramatically improved as well.
Agree, I would love to see BP come off some curl screens and get to the basket to start. Maybe design the first play of the game for him to get an easy shot or get to the FT line.

It seems like when he is aggressive at the start of the game, and not fading away shooting long distance prayers, he seems more engaged and typically plays better.

I forgot to even include Sam M, but it is clear he is doing all the little things asked for him and has been playing extremely well on defense and on the offensive boards. He has been our banger and is playing tough as hell.

I am really proud of everyone on the team, they did not wilt and die and all seem to have stepped up and are playing tough as hell.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Kramer116 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:57 PM   #13
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
I am really proud of everyone on the team, they did not wilt and die and all seem to have stepped up and are playing tough as hell.
As much as we all want to believe Groce is the sole reason for this, I have to think that the team learned a lot from the embarassment of last season. I think Groce has done a masterful job in how he handled the slump, and I'm excited as all hell to have him here though. We talk about how smart these kids seem off the court, and it takes a group of smart individuals to learn from their previous mistakes and not go down the same path.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:57 PM   #14
WesterveltVictoryCigar
IMO, BP3 is not really in a "slump" per se. He had a fantastic start to the season and aside from his great game at Gonzaga has simply regressed back to the mean. He's still playing better than last season, and more consistently. If you chart his offensive efficiency, he's been pretty constant since late November. And it's also clear that his efficiency is tied directly to his shot (and shot selection).
WesterveltVictoryCigar is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:59 PM   #15
AlmostFamous79
When Groce came out and defended Richardson publicly and with authority, DJ turned his season around. That's what the great coaches do. They stick up for their guys and give them a shot in the arm by saying what Groce said for DJ. "I love the kid, and I'm not trading him." I call this the anti-Weber. Groce has shown that he has his players back, especially two guys who needed his support more than the rest DJ and Griffey. Groce is the man. Lock him up for multiple seasons. He is getting it done, and his team is now a believer.
AlmostFamous79 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:00 PM   #16
Illiniwek06
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostFamous79 View Post
When Groce came out and defended Richardson publicly and with authority, DJ turned his season around. That's what the great coaches do. They stick up for their guys and give them a shot in the arm by saying what Groce said for DJ. "I love the kid, and I'm not trading him." I call this the anti-Weber. Groce has shown that he has his players back, especially two guys who needed his support more than the rest DJ and Griffey. Groce is the man. Lock him up for multiple seasons. He is getting it done, and his team is now a believer.
Yeah, I really liked that Groce defended him so aggressively in his pressers, and love the way that DJ has responded. Very happy to see him have this success in his senior season.
Illiniwek06 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:06 PM   #17
AlmostFamous79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniwek06 View Post
Yeah, I really liked that Groce defended him so aggressively in his pressers, and love the way that DJ has responded. Very happy to see him have this success in his senior season.
Exactly. You show someone all out support and publicly say I love that kid, and demand that he keep shooting. Two words... PLAYERS COACH.

A players coach has been missing from the Illinois sideline since Bill Self. Guys loved to play for Self and guys love to play for Groce. We got a big time guy with Groce.
AlmostFamous79 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:59 PM   #18
cardsillinifan
I have been impressed with the way DJ has been playing the last couple of games. I admit, I loved when Groce made the statement about not trading DJ for someone else. What a relief to have a coach that has your back and then publicly goes to bat for you in front of the press.

DJ has always given the effort and I am glad to see him having some success during his senior year. I am so excited for the seniors and the way they have responded to a very tough stretch. I will be the first to admit I was sick of watching them play, but now I can't wait to see what they will do next!
cardsillinifan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:12 PM   #19
chiefini
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsillinifan View Post
I have been impressed with the way DJ has been playing the last couple of games. I admit, I loved when Groce made the statement about not trading DJ for someone else. What a relief to have a coach that has your back and then publicly goes to bat for you in front of the press.

DJ has always given the effort and I am glad to see him having some success during his senior year. I am so excited for the seniors and the way they have responded to a very tough stretch. I will be the first to admit I was sick of watching them play, but now I can't wait to see what they will do next!
+1. I agree with you on both points. I think that Groce's emphasis of being positive in every situation (the Tigger, not Eeyore approach) has been a breath of fresh air for these players, especially the seniors. When they went into their tailspin, Groce did not pile on or complain. Instead, he stood up for everyone, most outspokenly, for DJ. When asked about benching BP for his lack of defense, HCJG deferred and said, "You'll have to ask him." After going to the WI game, I, too, was sick of watching them play, but now I'm thrilled with their perseverance, tenacity, and ability to put themselves right back in the NCAA tourney picture. I am vowing to join Groce in remaining optimistic about the TEAM, especially the seniors, for the rest of the season. Go Illini

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)
chiefini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:39 PM   #20
Illini70math
I won't bother to go check, but I presume those of you praising Coach Groce for his vigorous support of DJ were not among the many posters around here who were calling for DJ to sit not so long ago...

Those of us who were defending DJ back then felt a little lonely.
Illini70math is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:39 PM   #21
kuhl84
The individual skill improvements of DJ and the rest of the team from last year and through the season have been astounding. The ball handling of the entire has improved dramatically, but probably none more than DJ...although TA is close.

Compare DJ, TA, BP, even MH and TG in the game vs. Purdue and they look like entirely different players than last year...even vs earlier this season.

DJ has the ability to create his own shot for the first time in his career. BP and TA now keep the ball much lower bringing the ball up versus pressure. They don't even look like the same players. TG and MH both took the ball successfully through traffic to the hoop against Purdue.

This staff has really drilled fundamentals and the players must continue to work on their own because the improvement has continued during the season. Groce preaches getting a little better every day, and clearly this group has bought into the premise...as a team and in individual skills. Most successful teams get better at playing together as the season progresses, but I honestly don't remember a team that I have followed closely improving their individual skills as much as this team has as the season progressed.

Regardless of how this team finishes the year, I am extremely impressed with the progression of the players. If I were a recruit, I would be salivating at the opportunity to learn from this staff.
kuhl84 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:51 PM   #22
Illini B-Ball Fan
DJ is definitely locked in which has helped build his confidence - congratulations to him - I hope he keeps it going. He probably has loftier goals beyond graduation that hopefully will work out for the best, but for now, it's one game at a time. Eventually, that PIA pipeline will open up again to attract a top point guard or two in the future.
Illini B-Ball Fan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:15 PM   #23
solbur2
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
IMO, BP3 is not really in a "slump" per se. He had a fantastic start to the season and aside from his great game at Gonzaga has simply regressed back to the mean. He's still playing better than last season, and more consistently. If you chart his offensive efficiency, he's been pretty constant since late November. And it's also clear that his efficiency is tied directly to his shot (and shot selection).
+1000000
solbur2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:45 PM   #24
chiefini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini70math View Post
I won't bother to go check, but I presume those of you praising Coach Groce for his vigorous support of DJ were not among the many posters around here who were calling for DJ to sit not so long ago...

Those of us who were defending DJ back then felt a little lonely.
I think you are probably correct, for the most part. I know I for one never specifically called for DJ to sit, but after I went to the WI game at the AH, I said I was really disappointed in all of our seniors, and I was ready for them to be gone and looking forward to our new class coming in. Kudos to you and the few who stood by DJ, Illini70math. You were right; I should have trusted in Groce. Mea culpa. I won't let it happen again. Go Illini

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)
chiefini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:55 PM   #25
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefini View Post
I think you are probably correct, for the most part. I know I for one never specifically called for DJ to sit, but after I went to the WI game at the AH, I said I was really disappointed in all of our seniors, and I was ready for them to be gone and looking forward to our new class coming in. Kudos to you and the few who stood by DJ, Illini70math. You were right; I should have trusted in Groce. Mea culpa. I won't let it happen again. Go Illini
Classy post....
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »