Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Mike Bellamy the new Illinois WR coach

Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:46 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Illinois is reaching into its past to shape the future hiring Mike Bellamy as WR coach. #illini

http://twitter.com/HowardGriffith
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Groundhogday
Bellamy was our Associate Recruiting Coordinator in 2012. Bellamy coached HS ball for three years in GA, then one year at a small college in GA before joining the Illinois staff.

http://www.fightingillini.com/

Can he recruit? I guess we'll find out. He has been on staff for a year and is an Illinois alumnus, so this is probably a safe hire.

Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:01 AM   #3
SCillini
On the plus side he's an alum who had a great season in his one year at UI. No major college coaching experience has to be a concern. I'm sure he knows the position, but how successful will he be recruiting? Time will tell, just not sure how much time this staff will have.
SCillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:02 AM   #4
GilThorpe
this is good news. in my opinion, this is the kind of hire we needed. Sure, I wish he had a little more experience at coaching, but this is a position where recruiting is very important. I will predict he will be a good recruiter off campus

I wasnt too excited about Woods.
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:04 AM   #5
FeelYourPaign
Its a plus for Mike either way, as he starts down the path of having real job experience.
Like that he is an alum. Doubt that our choice of WR coach is going to affect the length of Beckman's contract either way, in that I think he will win with the guys that they have sufficiently to be renewed or he will be gone before any WR (read recruiting) coach can have an impact.

Feels fine to me. For the $.03 that is worth
FeelYourPaign is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:04 AM   #6
trevdv
So... do we like this hire? Seems like he has very little experience, but very strong ties to Illinois. Good hire?

Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:09 AM   #7
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
So... do we like this hire? Seems like he has very little experience, but very strong ties to Illinois. Good hire?
We don't know. Bellamy has been on the staff for a year, recruiting on campus. So Beckman knows him and thinks he will be a good recruiter. We'll have to see if Beckman is right, but this is one area where TB is a pretty good judge of abilities.

Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:17 AM   #8
BZuppke
You never know how these things turn out. Certainly he has a passion for Illinois football which should make him a good recruiter. Then again, alums don't always work out. We'll have to see how it plays out. May be the first time we've had two alums on staff since the Eliot or even Zuppke era?
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:23 AM   #9
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZuppke View Post
You never know how these things turn out. Certainly he has a passion for Illinois football which should make him a good recruiter. Then again, alums don't always work out. We'll have to see how it plays out. May be the first time we've had two alums on staff since the Eliot or even Zuppke era?
I don't think a passion for a school necessarily makes you a good recruiter, nor do I think he was hired because of his alumni membership. I think he was hired because he did a good job recruiting guys on campus for the past year and got along well with the rest of the staff.

Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:36 AM   #10
BZuppke
To answer my own history question JC Caroline coached under Valek both of whom were alums. John Easterbrook coached with them as well. I think he also was an alum. The only other alums to coach for us since then I believe were Rick George under Mike White and Colby under Mackovic.
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:39 AM   #11
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZuppke View Post
To answer my own history question JC Caroline coached under Valek both of whom were alums. John Easterbrook coached with them as well. I think he also was an alum. The only other alums to coach for us since then I believe were Rick George under Mike White and Colby under Mackovic.
How could you forget Luke Butkus under Beckman?

Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:49 AM   #12
Juice
Another Meh hire.
Juice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:30 AM   #13
ChiCityIllini
One and done

Colby and Bellamy are perfect hires for the one and done scheme. Since they are alum and have roots - they are more likely to stick around after Beckman gets his walking papers in November and maybe hold together whatever recruiting class is committed at that point until new coach starts.
ChiCityIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:38 AM   #14
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityIllini View Post
Colby and Bellamy are perfect hires for the one and done scheme. Since they are alum and have roots - they are more likely to stick around after Beckman gets his walking papers in November and maybe hold together whatever recruiting class is committed at that point until new coach starts.
This makes sense, I'm sure Beckman thought about what would be best for Illinois after he gets fired.

:rolleyes:

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:39 AM   #15
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
This makes sense, I'm sure Beckman thought about what would be best for Illinois after he gets fired.

:rolleyes:
:laugh:
Juice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:07 AM   #16
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Another Meh hire.
Yes, even if Bellamy turns out to be a good recruiter it is likely it will take time to get him up an running since he hasn't been a D1 coach.

What I see is Beckman making very safe hires across the board. One way to look at this is Beckman learning from his mistakes. But this could also be a Guenther-type situation where every hire was the polar opposite of the previous hire. Tepper couldn't find an offensive coordinator so RG hired Turner, an offensive coordinator. Turner couldn't recruit, so RG hired Ron Zook, a recruiter.

Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:29 AM   #17
Warriors1994
Well for what it is worth I have seen several players tweet about how happy they are with the hire, including Hermisillo and Hardee.
Warriors1994 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:04 PM   #18
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriors1994 View Post
Well for what it is worth I have seen several players tweet about how happy they are with the hire, including Hermisillo and Hardee.
I don't think they would have hired him if Bellamy didn't relate well to players. And given his current role on the staff, he would know both incoming recruits and current players. Let's hope this works out.

Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:15 PM   #19
PaytonHighstep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Another Meh hire.

Who would you like to have seen hired as our WR coach?
PaytonHighstep is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:23 PM   #20
BobtheBarber2
I think there are a few posters on this site that have equivalent resumes (playing experience excepted). This is the best "they" could do finding a coach, so we'll sit back and see what happens. I'm sure he was the first choice all along :laugh:

Now do we get excited waiting to see who the new Associate Recruiting Coordinator will be, or will they just lump that in with his new responsibilities?

Win or lose, I hope he makes a ton of money while he's here.
BobtheBarber2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:26 PM   #21
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaytonHighstep View Post
Who would you like to have seen hired as our WR coach?
Beatty? In all seriousness, you would like to bring in (a) someone who has coached D1 football, and (b) a proven, high level recruiter.

Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:41 PM   #22
PaytonHighstep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Beatty? In all seriousness, you would like to bring in (a) someone who has coached D1 football, and (b) a proven, high level recruiter.
hahahaha.

It just seems we are really critical of these hires and many times I would guess that very few people actually know anything about these coaches. I think people want a "name" coach from a storied program and frankly that isn't going to happen.

I was just wondering why this was a "meh hire"?

From all reports TB was happy with his work last season recruiting on campus and maybe he thinks that can translate out into the big boy world of recruiting. I would think TB and Bellamy have had conversations regarding coaching WR's and philosophies.

I am not saying it is a home run hire, but I am ok with it. This is the continuity that some have been calling for isn't it? Hire/promote from within and develop your coaches and players so it pays off for Illinois and not another program.

We will see.
PaytonHighstep is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:52 PM   #23
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaytonHighstep View Post
I was just wondering why this was a "meh hire"?
How many high major programs (B1G, SEC, PAC12, Big12, ACC) hire assistant coaches with NO D1 coaching experience and minimal coaching experience at any level? There are a few top high school coaches plucked to join college staffs every year, but Bellamy wasn't even a top high school coach (3 years experience, most of that part time.)

This hire may work out, but it isn't hard to see why folks aren't doing cartwheels.

Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:55 PM   #24
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Yes, even if Bellamy turns out to be a good recruiter it is likely it will take time to get him up an running since he hasn't been a D1 coach.

What I see is Beckman making very safe hires across the board. One way to look at this is Beckman learning from his mistakes. But this could also be a Guenther-type situation where every hire was the polar opposite of the previous hire. Tepper couldn't find an offensive coordinator so RG hired Turner, an offensive coordinator. Turner couldn't recruit, so RG hired Ron Zook, a recruiter.
There are aspects of that to be sure (i.e. hiring a guy like Cubit with tons of experience to replace two guys in Beatty and Gonzo who had virtually none) but in Cubit's case he also comes with being a good recruiter. So while there is the Guenther, lets-do-the-opposite approach, each of the new coaches also offers more than just the opposite of the guys they replaced.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:12 PM   #25
pizzaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
I say yes! (but I'm a hopeless homer and know nothing about his ability to coach or recruit.)
pizzaman is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »