Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Top 75 Moments in NCAA Tournament - Illini #24

Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:16 AM   #1
RockyMtnIllini81
http://espn.go.com/ncb/feature/video...ege-basketball

spoiler alert - Williams can tie it with a 3. He does!

(I got a chill writing that)
RockyMtnIllini81 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:36 AM   #2
SteakSandwich
What number is it?? I don't have time to go through every one. At work, can't have the boss see me go through 75 moments.

Last edited by SteakSandwich; Feb 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Nevermind found it. Number 24
SteakSandwich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Leonardite

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Leonardite is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:39 AM   #4
uiba99
Tiny Illini
#24 is too low in my opinion. Easily top ten. Of course, I'm a little biased.

"The danger is all around us now. Hatred is rising, yet all sides feel more virtuous. We’re asleep to the threat. We can have the most sophisticated Constitution, a brilliant system of checks and balances and a Bill of Rights to safeguard against the tyranny of the majority — yet none of it can stand against the power of hatred."
Fr. John I. Jenkins, President, University of Notre Dame
uiba99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
And #24 at that!

edit--but the picture they include is from the OT period.
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:45 AM   #6
SteakSandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiba99 View Post
Yeah me to but i'm totally biased. I like in article when he say Illinois fans can tell you where there were for that games because i can to detail where i was in detail to where i sat at the start of game with family to by the end sitting in the back room by myself because i couldn't stand the chit chat goin on while my illini were losing, to where i was standing jumping up and down screaming by myself. I wouldn't of had any other way.
SteakSandwich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:47 AM   #7
FinalFour88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
And #24 at that!

edit--but the picture they include is from the OT period.
I noticed that too -- because Illinois was up by one on the scoreboard. Only geeky Illini fans would notice that!
FinalFour88 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:48 AM   #8
DrewD007
Obligatory video of said comeback...

DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:06 PM   #9
I Bomb
Stylin' and Profilin'
Whether you're an Illini fan or not, that was one of the (if not the) most exciting and impressive comebacks ever in the NCAA tourney. I don't know how that ranks in overall 'moments', but 24 seems way off base to me.
I Bomb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:10 PM   #10
hooraybeer
something about that game still (and probably will always) hit me deep down.. my first true great memory in life. hopefully in the coming years we will have new moments to talk about so we can stop bringing that one up

Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:12 PM   #11
hooraybeer
ps--someone on youtube recently posted a video of that whole E8 game... commercials edited out and everything.

Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:24 PM   #12
illinibri92
Really surprised to see a Duke game being picked as #1 by ESPN.
illinibri92 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:02 PM   #13
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinibri92 View Post
Really surprised to see a Duke game being picked as #1 by ESPN.
I read somewhere today (maybe here) that Vitale is going to call Final Four games for CBS....
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:04 PM   #14
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
I read somewhere today (maybe here) that Vitale is going to call Final Four games for CBS....
Not for CBS, thankfully: http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebask...ionally-020513
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:06 PM   #15
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooraybeer View Post
something about that game still (and probably will always) hit me deep down.. my first true great memory in life. hopefully in the coming years we will have new moments to talk about so we can stop bringing that one up
No matter how many times I watch that highlight and even though I know what the outcome of the game is, when we get down by 15 with 3:30 left I still get a bit of that same "I can't believe this is how it's going to end" feeling that I had watching the game live.

Then I remember what's about to happen and .
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:08 PM   #16
britt31
Just got chills, man I hope we make it back there again!!!
britt31 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:34 AM   #17
DaytonIllini
During that game I was on vacation in North Carolina. I turned it off when we dropped down by 9 and walked out of the room. A few moments later I realized that this was a special team and I wanted to watch every minute of their play since they would never be together again. Fortunately I turned it back on when we were down 14 or so and stuck with it through the end. Awesome game.

The sad part is that if the refs had called a foul on Ingram or Dee during that flurry we'd look back on 2005 the same way we look back on 1983 or 2001 when we were jobbed by the refs from making it to the Final Four.

Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:37 AM   #18
MTILLINOIS
#2 should be #1. It was a title game. How NC State won, couldn't be drawn up. Where Dukes play was a play called out in the timeout. Just my opinion.
MTILLINOIS is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:39 AM   #19
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTILLINOIS View Post
#2 should be #1. It was a title game. How NC State won, couldn't be drawn up. Where Dukes play was a play called out in the timeout. Just my opinion.
+1. Was not there but watched it. Unbelievable finish and so unlikely a result. Ought to be #1.

Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:06 AM   #20
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
I got the feeling that it was the entire game that makes the Laettner game number 1. I mean on that stage to not miss a shot all night is pretty impressive. I agree with it being number 1.

Edit, nevermind, they specially call out that shot. Other set plays out of bounds for full court passes and buzzer beaters were way down the list. I don't see much difference between Laettner's shot and say Bryce Drew's shot for the Valpo win.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

Last edited by illynifan34; Feb 23, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
illynifan34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:32 AM   #21
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
I got the feeling that it was the entire game that makes the Laettner game number 1. I mean on that stage to not miss a shot all night is pretty impressive. I agree with it being number 1.

Edit, nevermind, they specially call out that shot. Other set plays out of bounds for full court passes and buzzer beaters were way down the list. I don't see much difference between Laettner's shot and say Bryce Drew's shot for the Valpo win.
Duke
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:57 AM   #22
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Duh, it is ESPN's list and it's Duke. What more do you need to know?
AzIlliniFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:07 AM   #23
DrewD007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
During that game I was on vacation in North Carolina. I turned it off when we dropped down by 9 and walked out of the room. A few moments later I realized that this was a special team and I wanted to watch every minute of their play since they would never be together again. Fortunately I turned it back on when we were down 14 or so and stuck with it through the end. Awesome game.

The sad part is that if the refs had called a foul on Ingram or Dee during that flurry we'd look back on 2005 the same way we look back on 1983 or 2001 when we were jobbed by the refs from making it to the Final Four.
I'm kind of embarrassed to say that once we got down big, I couldn't stand to watch it anymore and started playing Xbox. My dad was watching with some people down stairs and I guess it might've been about 10 minutes real time when I hear an explosion of yelling downstairs. I quickly change to the game and see its 80-80. And I'm just sitting there like "What on earth happened and why did I miss it?"
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:13 AM   #24
orangekrush117
Watched the majority of the game from a bar in Denver international airport. Bartender and I were both Illinois fans And I was decked out n my o krush gear. People were paying attention on and off but as soon as the comeback started, a crowd of people formed around the bar. I saw us tie it to send it to over time, but I had to run to my plane because it was taking off in 20 minutes. I was on the phone with my dad and he did a play by play for me for the duration of overtime. For the last Arizona possession he asked if I wanted a play by play or a clock countdown. I chose the latter, and after my dad got to 2 seconds all I could hear was either cheering or groaning. I had a 5 second delay before I found out we won. I had been so preoccupied with my phone conversation that I hadn't noticed that several people on the plane were listening to my phone conversation. I looked at them and told them that Illinois had who and my section of the plane let out a loud cheer.

It was an amazing flight home.
orangekrush117 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:38 AM   #25
rock215215
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiba99 View Post

Your not wrong, they have a lot of game winners on there and that's dumb...Anyone can hit one shot at a given time, it is much tougher to come back from a dozen or more to win a game with three or four minutes to play...You have to do too many things perfect and thus is why we should be top ten at the least...
rock215215 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »