Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

2/23 Games

Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:57 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
The February 23rd college basketball games thread.

B1G game today-

Iowa at Nebraska, 1:00pm CT, No TV.

Game online on http://www.btn2go.com/btn2go/ (not available on Comcast)

B1G standings-
_____________________Conf______+/-____Overall________Remaining Games
1.__Indiana__________12-2______5______24-3___________@Minn__Iowa____OSU_____@Mich
2.__Michigan State___11-3______4______22-5___________@OSU___@Mich___Wisc____NW
3.__Wisconsin________10-4______3______19-8___________Neb____PU______@MSU____@PSU
4.__Michigan__________9-4______3______22-4___________IL_____@PSU____MSU_____@PU_____IU
5.__Ohio State________9-5______2______19-7___________MSU____@NW_____@IU_____IL
6.__Illinois__________7-7______-1_____20-8___________@Mich__Neb_____@Iowa___@OSU
7.__Iowa______________6-7______0______17-9___________@Neb___PU______@IU_____IL______Neb
8.__Minnesota_________6-8______-1_____18-9___________IU_____PSU_____@Neb____@PU
9.__Purdue____________5-8______-1_____12-14__________NW_____@Iowa___@Wisc___Mich____Minn
10._Northwestern______4-10_____-3_____13-14__________@PU____OSU_____PSU_____@MSU
11._Nebraska__________3-10_____-4_____12-14__________Iowa___@Wisc___@IL_____Minn____@Iowa
12._Penn State________0-14_____-7______8-18__________Mich___@Minn___@NW_____Wisc

+/- = +1 for B1G road win, -1 for B1G home loss.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
I'd really like to see Nebraska win 4 out of their next 5. Penn St. could start winning now too.
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:42 AM   #3
trevdv
Go Cornhuskers!

Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Leonardite
Miami is going to lose to Wake Forest. I think Gonzaga is going to end up being #2 in next poll and will likely be a #1 seed now if they win out.

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Leonardite is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:55 PM   #5
jmm44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardite View Post
Miami is going to lose to Wake Forest. I think Gonzaga is going to end up being #2 in next poll and will likely be a #1 seed now if they win out.
At the end of the season, we may have a win over both the #1 and #2 teams.
jmm44 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
B1G standings-
_____________________Conf______+/-____Overall________Remaining Games
1.__Indiana__________12-2______5______24-3___________@Minn__Iowa____OSU_____@Mich
2.__Michigan State___11-3______4______22-5___________@OSU___@Mich___Wisc____NW
3.__Wisconsin________10-4______3______19-8___________Neb____PU______@MSU____@PSU
4.__Michigan__________9-4______3______22-4___________IL_____@PSU____MSU_____@PU_____IU
5.__Ohio State________9-5______2______19-7___________MSU____@NW_____@IU_____IL
6.__Illinois__________7-7______-1_____20-8___________@Mich__Neb_____@Iowa___@OSU
7.__Iowa______________6-7______0______17-9___________@Neb___PU______@IU_____IL______Neb
8.__Minnesota_________6-8______-1_____18-9___________IU_____PSU_____@Neb____@PU
9.__Purdue____________5-8______-1_____12-14__________NW_____@Iowa___@Wisc___Mich____Minn
10._Northwestern______4-10_____-3_____13-14__________@PU____OSU_____PSU_____@MSU
11._Nebraska__________3-10_____-4_____12-14__________Iowa___@Wisc___@IL_____Minn____@Iowa
12._Penn State________0-14_____-7______8-18__________Mich___@Minn___@NW_____Wisc

+/- = +1 for B1G road win, -1 for B1G home loss.
Minny and Iowa have a small scheduling advantage down the stretch. It will be a battle to hand onto 6th place. So a UNL upset today would be nice.

Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:04 PM   #7
stevo99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Minny and Iowa have a small scheduling advantage down the stretch. It will be a battle to hand onto 6th place. So a UNL upset today would be nice.

Given the way Minny is playing right now, I don't like their schedule. I think I'd rather play their 2 road games at home and vice versa.

6th place could come down to the game in Iowa City which does give them an advantage, of course.
stevo99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:56 PM   #8
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Ask and ye shall receive. Nebraska was down 16 at half but held Iowa to something like 18 points in the 2nd and won by 4.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:57 PM   #9
Dan
Admin
Nebraska beats Iowa!

Updated standings & Big Ten Tournament Bracketology-

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum...584#post702584
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:59 PM   #10
AHSIllini32
Banned
That has to end the slim chances Iowa had at making the NCAA's.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:00 PM   #11
jmm44
Nebraska comes back from down 16 at halftime to beat Iowa 64-60. Great news for us, but that pretty much killed any tournament hopes that Iowa might have had.
jmm44 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:01 PM   #12
DrewD007
Welp, Iowa will pretty much need to win out to get in the tourney now. Hopefully Minnesota can redeem themselves so B1G gets 7 teams in.
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:46 PM   #13
KansasIllini
Kansas is taking out some pretty big frustrations and getting revenge on TCU in a big way right now. KU up 38-9 at halftime.
KansasIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:03 PM   #14
stevo99
UNC is really starting to gel.

I want no part of them in a 7-10 6-11 type matchup in the first round.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:05 PM   #15
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo99 View Post

Bring them on. I know JG would love to get some revenge.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:40 PM   #16
ILLINISTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo99 View Post

I was thinking the same thing watching this second half, they could beat anyone they're matched against, very athletic, and as you said starting to gel. Scary match-up.

Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:00 PM   #17
Kramer116
Colorado state is going to go down to New Mexico at home, both look to tough come tourney time

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Kramer116 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:12 PM   #18
Serious Late
Location: Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque via Chicago via Champaign via Peoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Colorado state is going to go down to New Mexico at home, both look to tough come tourney time
I have watched a lot of the Mountain West, and I still don't know how Colorado St. does it. They don't have the talent of half the teams in the Mountain West, but Eustachy has them playing real good ball.

Loving how my Lobos are looking this season. Kendall Williams reminds me a lot of Brandon Paul. He is the best player for UNM, but has a tendency to live and die based on how his offense is going (Paul is doing better at that lately though). Williams can be very selfish with the ball too, jacks up completely unnecessary shots like we see from Paul at times.

Hugh Greenwood is the bee's knees. He is UNM's point guard and I can't stop thinking about how awesome a complement to Abrams he would be on the Illini. Not overly athletic, but has the size of a B1G guard and is great running an offense.

Having both the Illini and Lobos competitive this year has made it one of my favorite college bball seasons ever (still can't touch '04-'05 though ).

Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:00 PM   #19
trevdv
Final score after 4 OTs:

Tennessee - 93
A&M - 85

Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:24 PM   #20
bleedsorangenblue
Shocked by the Iowa loss today. Checked on the score at the half and never looked back, thinking they had the game won. I really thought they would be competitive this year but it looks like their tourney hopes are all but gone. The B1G continues to surprise. IL better not be complacent against any team.
bleedsorangenblue is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:12 PM   #21
illiniracers
Currently on ESPN2 the nations #2 scorer Nate Wolters and South Dakota St are taking on the #8 scorer Isaiah Canaan and Murray State.
illiniracers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:41 PM   #22
stevo99
Ted Valentine in Lexington tonight thus eliminating himself from being in Ann Arbor tommorow.

Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:54 PM   #23
lstewart53x3
Interesting comment that I heard watching the KU game, when the commentator was talking about Kentucky players going pro.

He basically just said a few of them have the potential to go pro after this year, but haven't really proven much in college, however they have a dilemma:

If they decide not to go pro, Kentucky has such a good recruiting class coming in that they might have a lesser role on the team next year as a sophomore, so they're almost forced to go pro.

I find that interesting because that's definitely not what's best for the individual player and holy crap, Calipari gets so much talent.
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:11 PM   #24
uofi09
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart53x3 View Post
Interesting comment that I heard watching the KU game, when the commentator was talking about Kentucky players going pro.

He basically just said a few of them have the potential to go pro after this year, but haven't really proven much in college, however they have a dilemma:

If they decide not to go pro, Kentucky has such a good recruiting class coming in that they might have a lesser role on the team next year as a sophomore, so they're almost forced to go pro.

I find that interesting because that's definitely not what's best for the individual player and holy crap, Calipari gets so much talent.
I agree that certain players would have a lesser role, but if a lot of guys stay, then that team gets a whole lot better.
uofi09 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:20 PM   #25
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by uofi09 View Post
I agree that certain players would have a lesser role, but if a lot of guys stay, then that team gets a whole lot better.
Oh yeah I agree. I just don't think that's the focus of any freshman at Kentucky. I think their focus is: go to UK, do as good as they can in one year, then go pro and get rich.

What they don't expect is:

What if I have a bad freshman season and am not ready for the pros?

Then they think:

Well I could always stay another year.

But what if i don't even start as a sophomore because new freshman coming are even better?

That makes things interesting.
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »