Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November 2013-March 2014)

Closed Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:04 PM   #4426
DG1985
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie1918 View Post
Article in today's Dallas Morning News about investigators finding that a Kimball High School teacher assistant pressured a physics teacher to raise Keith Frazier's grade in May so he would be elgible to attend SMU this year to play basketball. When the teacher refused, the TA modified the grade himself! SMU is saying that Frazier earned NCAA elgibility after completing a world history course online last summer.Larry Brown is saying that he (of course) did not know anything about the grade changing allegations. Without passing grades Frazier would not have qualified for the NCAA Clearinghouse, the registration system for college athletes. There may have been other grades that were changed for Frazier too.
Kid should have gone to Kansas with Jerrance. The problem would have gone away
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:07 PM   #4427
jmwillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
They'd better hope they don't find a link back to Brown, or SMU could find themselves in a ton of trouble again.
Doubt anything comes of it as to SMU without a real smoking gun. Didn't Self win his title with a player that should have been ineligible under similar circumstances? Of course, if they had lost that game and Memphis had won, they probably would have been the team to get their Final Four vacated instead of Calipari.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:14 PM   #4428
illinisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwillini View Post
Doubt anything comes of it as to SMU without a real smoking gun. Didn't Self win his title with a player that should have been ineligible under similar circumstances? Of course, if they had lost that game and Memphis had won, they probably would have been the team to get their Final Four vacated instead of Calipari.
Darrell Arthur was investigated by his high school district for possible grade changes. The investigation couldn't prove that it actually happened so the NCAA couldn't rule him ineligible. For Derrick Rose, his SAT test result came back as ineligible in the middle of the season and notified Memphis shortly after and instead of sitting him out the remainder of the year they let him play. Calipari got away with a technicality because he was never on the notice of allegations and was never directly sent the letters. Memphis IMO got off way to easy.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:22 PM   #4429
Thor015
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA Illini View Post
In addition to NBA chances being overblown, the percentage of players leaving early is also overblown. Here is some analysis I posted back in August. I should really go back further than 2010, but there has only been 1 one-and-done outside the RSCI top 16 in the last 3 years.

If someone wants to do more analysis about RSCI relating to the NBA draft, draft express has the full list of RSCI by year and what draft they were selected in. Interestingly, Draft express listed as RSCI ranking all the way out into the 150-200 range every year. Each player ranked in the top 150 in any of the rankings is included. They must be calculating their own RSCI.

http://www.draftexpress.com/RSCI/2013/

great post.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:28 PM   #4430
miketherevelator
Matt Daniels ‏@mdaniels_NG 3h Brunson cools toward Illini http://www.news-gazette.com/blogs/recruting-wrap/2014-01/brunson-cools-toward-illini.html … via @news_gazette

The 'Q theory' lives.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:34 PM   #4431
kingmal
Banned
FWIW Jeff Johnson (formerly of rivals) now thinks LeRon Black is better than "the kid from Bloomington" (Diop)
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:36 PM   #4432
IlliniJim20
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
A slightly different twist however. If this story is to believed, and Brunson cooled because we stopped recruiting him, or talking as often, that version, to me, is different.

If it was an excuse to eliminate Illinois, then I have little respect for Brunson. If we stopped talking to him of awhile, I can understand his point of view.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:41 PM   #4433
justsomedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post
A slightly different twist however. If this story is to believed, and Brunson cooled because we stopped recruiting him, or talking as often, that version, to me, is different.

If it was an excuse to eliminate Illinois, then I have little respect for Brunson. If we stopped talking to him of awhile, I can understand his point of view.
That is definitely what the rumor at Stevenson High School was.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:47 PM   #4434
ChazzReinhold
Mom! The Meatloaf!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomedude View Post
Wait, was the rumor it was just an excuse or that he was upset because we slowed our recruiting effort?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:54 PM   #4435
orange julius
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJim20 View Post

Have a hard time believing that Groce stopped recruiting him - Groce's too much of a veteran at the recruiting game. I'm sure he just felt slighted when we took a different point guard. If we are Kansas, Duke, or NC, we don't have this problem.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:54 PM   #4436
justsomedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzReinhold View Post
Wait, was the rumor it was just an excuse or that he was upset because we slowed our recruiting effort?
He was upset that we backed off with Q.

I don't think he was ever "leaning" here, per se, but he really liked being the #1 priority and thought it would be a good basketball fit.

Problem is Michigan is a great fit as well, if he simply wants fit, so if they've moved ahead as the "fit" destination, we're screwed, IMO.

BOLD is my editorial and not based on anything I've heard.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:54 PM   #4437
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomedude View Post
At least we won't have to witness Brunson picking up an Illini hat and then sitting it back down.

I personally never saw Brunson as a realistic possibility at Illinois. It's not like what Groce did to him was disrespectful or any different from any other major D1 program. If that's truly the reason he cooled on UI, then he'd better commit soon somewhere because it's bound to happen again.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 02:28 PM   #4438
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
At least we won't have to witness Brunson picking up an Illini hat and then sitting it back down.

I personally never saw Brunson as a realistic possibility at Illinois. It's not like what Groce did to him was disrespectful or any different from any other major D1 program. If that's truly the reason he cooled on UI, then he'd better commit soon somewhere because it's bound to happen again.
Definitely agree. Hope that I'm just not getting the full story. Highly likely, imo. then it is plausible. If he seriously thinks that a strong school will stop recruiting PG's for not only his year, but all years, then he had better commit and sign.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 02:40 PM   #4439
-josh-
Calm, Collected, German.
It's almost like some of these Chicago kids just wait for an excuse to not pick Illinois.

Old Jan 28, 2014, 02:57 PM   #4440
Railsplitter
Banned
I don't care if he comes to Illinois but I hate to see that attitude in highschool players, even if he is the No.1 pg in the state. But then when you get that highly thought of it comes with the territory.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 04:02 PM   #4441
illiniguy25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmal View Post
FWIW Jeff Johnson (formerly of rivals) now thinks LeRon Black is better than "the kid from Bloomington" (Diop)
I personally think he is a McDonald's All-American and will be big in our success next year. How much he plays depends upon how much John Groce allows him to play two positions. I look for him to play more of the four bc hill will be moved to the three but don't be surprised if his speed gets him some looks at the three. It's hard to say that the kid isn't in the top 25 when you lead the team in points and rebounds and your team is in the top 25 of high school teams.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 04:05 PM   #4442
Joel Goodson
Coffee is for closers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by -josh- View Post
It's almost like some of these Chicago kids just wait for an excuse to not pick Illinois.
Excuse/no excuse...who cares? Much, much, much better to know there's no chance early, than to be strung along and blow other opportunities.

And, yes, it's one of the lamest excuses ever. Total red herring. Who cares?

Chicago guys have been blowing us off forever, even when we were really good. It's gonna happen. We just have to get "our" share & the right ones. Lot more confident about that now, but the fanbase needs to demonstrate some measure of patience. Great post by IlliniByProxy illustrating how mediocre we've become. Can't snap back overnight.

Old Jan 28, 2014, 04:53 PM   #4443
UofIChE06
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniguy25 View Post
I personally think he is a McDonald's All-American and will be big in our success next year. How much he plays depends upon how much John Groce allows him to play two positions. I look for him to play more of the four bc hill will be moved to the three but don't be surprised if his speed gets him some looks at the three. It's hard to say that the kid isn't in the top 25 when you lead the team in points and rebounds and your team is in the top 25 of high school teams.
I don't see Groce burdening any freshman with learning 2 positions while acclimating to college life and studies. It has not been his MO so far and I don't see that changing.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 05:06 PM   #4444
AlmostFamous79
Brunson has made it clear that he is no longer or never was interested. Focus on out of state guys, go after them hard (ie leron black) and see what happens. Play the game with Brunson, but knowing full well he is Michigan or Duke bound if they offer.

Groce has two great commits right now. Great start to the 15 recruiting. Get a true point and get a true post and this is a great class. I sincerely think it will be a great class.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 05:40 PM   #4445
Tmoney68
Banned
Quote:
Yep
Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:38 PM   #4446
BillyBob1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG1985 View Post
Kid should have gone to Kansas with Jerrance. The problem would have gone away
Remember who the head coach of Kansas was when Self was on staff many years ago? None other than Larry Brown.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:15 PM   #4447
RichardH
Quote:
I think it has more to do with them being constantly asked about Illinois from media and reporters. Of course a top 50 kid will have a program of our caliber in their initial list. Lots of times the interest is manufactured by this message board and the reporters feeding the fan base who is gonna read the stories. Eventually the kid has to come up with something besides "I dont want to go there" or "they aren't a good enough program right now" which would send this fan base into an uproar.

I completely understand why they do it.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:24 PM   #4448
stevo99
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniguy25 View Post

Leron seems like he can contribute at the 4 next year and will develop into more of a hybrid 3/4 as time goes on.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:45 PM   #4449
jhayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmoney68 View Post
They all say that until they blow up.
Actually, they don't all say that. They say nice things that make people feel like education is important to them like, "Academics are important in my choice of schools' and "a degree is important", but very few come out anymore and say, "I am staying for all 4 years and making sure that I complete my college degree."

I know I wouldn't stay in college if I had the chance to play in the NBA, especially if I were considered a lottery pick or "first round talent".
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:01 PM   #4450
jhayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
I think it has more to do with them being constantly asked about Illinois from media and reporters. Of course a top 50 kid will have a program of our caliber in their initial list. Lots of times the interest is manufactured by this message board and the reporters feeding the fan base who is gonna read the stories. Eventually the kid has to come up with something besides "I dont want to go there" or "they aren't a good enough program right now" which would send this fan base into an uproar.

I completely understand why they do it.
I, for one, would actually value that kind of honesty from a recruit. Is it what I want to hear? Of course not, but that speaks to a kid's maturity, class, and willingness to not "play the game" of recruiting.

If we were recruiting top ranked kid from say Wisconsin and they said they wanted to win a championship and didn't believe that Illinois was the place to do it and accepted a scholarship from Duke, Kentucky, or any of the other "blue bloods" there should be no lash back from saying that.

Will I want to beat him more then ever if we play them? ABSOLUTELY, they dissed us and I hope we beat ten shades of you know what out of them. I can't be mad that they think a traditional powerhouse is a better place to win a championship, THAT is solid logic and sound reasoning.

It's also why JFG says we need Illinois guys and people who are "all in" because it is those kids that actually will bring a Title to UIUC.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »